OMG! Another Notre Dame injury---4 ACLs this year

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Dr. D, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Nobody has had more bad luck over the last two seasons than the Irish. Lili Thompson is a great guard.

BREAKING: Notre Dame announces guard Lili Thompson is out for the season because of a torn ACL. She's the FOURTH Irish women's basketball player to suffer that injury this year. ND now down to SEVEN healthy scholarship players for the rest of the season. Irish host Miami tonight.

And yet they've stayed highly competitive...but with just seven players left, it's going to be tough.

2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Oh no. That's awful.

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It is unfortunate for sure.

When I saw your Subject title, I thought it was one of our players. Would you mind editing your title? Thx

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Sorry to hear that but you scared me. I thought it was one of our girls. We had a terrible run on injuries a few years back

5. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We have had at least 2 years in hour history that were so injury riddled it basically killed our chances. Anybody remember when Jackie Swaim went out for the year? That did us in. I don't see how N.D. can stay at the top now, but maybe with a heroic effort.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Nneka Enemkpali going down in Waco. Devastating.

2014-15 (SENIOR)
    • Suffered a season-ending injury (left knee) on Jan. 19 at Baylor.
    • At the time of her injury, led the Big 12 in rebounds (10.6 rpg), double-doubles (9), and rebounds during Big 12-only games (66).
    • In the Texas record books, finishes her career ranked 9th in total rebounds (899) and 30th in total points (1,116). Was on pace to become the fifth Longhorn to record 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds.
    • Two-time Big 12 Player of the Week on Nov. 25 and Dec. 22.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Erika Arriaran

Ranked first in UT[apos]s record book for career free throw percentage (96-of-108, .889), sixth with 152 career 3-pointers made and 10th in career 3-point percentage (.343, 152-of-437) ... named to the All-Big 12 Freshman team in 2006 before suffering back-to-back knee injuries that sidelined her for half of the 2006-07 season and the majority of the 2007-08 season ... granted medical redshirt for 2007-08.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Jackie Swaim - ACL
    Annette Smith - ACL
    Clarissa Davis - ACL

Just look in the UTWBB record books and you can imagine the impact those injuries had.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scamp

Scamp 100+ Posts

10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I heard that UT put a lot of time and money into studying this a few years back in order to cut down on our injuries

• Like Like x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Quite a few studies point out that female athletes are more likely to suffer ACL injuries than their male counterparts. The most common number I’ve seen is 5-6 times more likely but the NIH reports the range as 2-8 depending on the sport. Biomechanics are the most common factor pointed out but a few articles also point out that female HS athletes are less likely to get the kind of regimented/supervised S&C training that could reduce the rate of injuries (70% of ACL injuries are non-contact).

12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The next 4 games will be very telling for Notre Dame - Louisville and Tennessee as well as a Georgia Tech team that only lost to Louisville by 3.

13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I wanna say Go Irish! but I like all of those teams. May the best program win.