On this Day, Dec 6, 1969

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stevedallas, Dec 6, 2021.

1. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

I was 9. I listened as my stepdad yelled at the TV as Texas had 6 turnovers. I listened to him yell with joy as James Street scrambled for a touchdown.

I remember the joy as Texas won 15-14. National Champions

The next year, I played little league football in Austin. For our banquet, James Street came to speak. I was 10.

I stood in line forever to get his autograph. But he left before it was my turn. I was crushed.

over 40 years later, as an attorney in Dallas, I was in court for a hearing. An attorney with the James Street Group was there. I told this young attorney of what had happened to me as a 10-year-old. She smiled and commiserated. Two weeks later, I received a package in the mail. In the box was a football signed by James Street "Dear Steve, Hook'em Horns. James Street". Also in the box was a signed picture...the famous pic of James talking to Royal during the Cotton Bowl. James Street was all class.

But every year on this day, I watch the game.

THE Game.

Hook Em

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Great story - thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I was at that game. I’ll never forget it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

"Slick". I was at an OU and Nebraska football game in Norman one year in the mid-seventies and was talking with some Nebraska fans. The subject turned to baseball, and they told me that they always attended the college world series. I told them I went to Texas and they brought up James Street and gave high praise as to what a good guy he was when he was there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Certainly one of the great days in Longhorn history. That game was the first show I watched on my new color TV (I was a student pilot assigned to Williams AFB, AZ; my new bride and I decided to treat ourselves to a color TV for Christmas). I lost my voice yelling for the Horns that day - just as I did for the 2006 Rose Bowl.

• Like Like x 3
  6. everette

everette 250+ Posts

I've posted this twice before, so I'll cut it short. I was in the Navy watching a tv in our barracks. big crowd. Every single one was for Ark, except me. one other Texan. an aggie fan. They razzed me to no end. until...
    a few weeks later, repeat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I was a student, but much too poor to make the trip. Watched at apartment with roommates then went and got stuck in the celebration traffic jam on the drag. Good times!

• Like Like x 2
  8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Missed this thread on the 6th. A special day for long time UT fans for sure.

I too have posted this before so I will cut it short. Early Dec. 1969 James Street was the surprise guest speaker at my HS football banquet in FW.

James was very humble, friendly & approachable - got his autograph on my banquet program that night. Still have it in a box of memorabilia.

Saw him again from the stands during the victory vs. ND Jan. 1, 1970. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1