Onsides kick in OU game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by wadster, Oct 30, 2019.

1. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

How the hell did the refs miss this call. I just looked this rule up and you can't run over the kicking team until you are eligible to touch an onsides kick. OU just obliterated the KSU player and thus he was not allowed to recover the onsides kick inside the 10 yds. Should have been KSU's ball regardless and not sure how the officials didn't call this. Team A is the kicking team here. Am I missing something? On live TV I thought it was a penalty as I've never seen anyone do this, but wasn't 100%

ARTICLE 12. Eligibility to Block(A.R. 6-1-3:II).
    No Team A player may block an opponent until Team A is eligible to touch a free-kicked ball (A.R. 6-1-3:II).
    PENALTY –
    Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot, or five yards from the spot where the subsequent dead ball belongs to Team B, or from the spot where the ball is placed after a touchback [S19].

2. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

It was so much chaos they probably just missed that fact.

3. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

But it's the first thing that happened and none of the rest of it even matters. I mean seriously the guy got run over 3 yds inside the 10 yd zone. How the hell do you miss that? It's like missing a delay of game. There has to be one ref assigned to that. It's like ref, you have one job. Don't f it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I didn't know about that rule either. I thought when the ball was kicked, all bets were off.

I was surprised the Refs reversed themselves on that call, given that it cost BlowU the game. Someone obviously touched the ball before 10 yards because it careened off in a different direction from the one it was traveling, but there wasn't irrefutable proof, as far as I could tell, that it was the gooner that touched it.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

For me, there were two angles from which it appeared the OU player was blocked in th back causing him to touch the ball.

6. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Someone else has said all this before (I'm paraphrasing), so I can't take credit, but I agree wholeheartedly:

The onside kick is the dumbest play in football. You intentionally kick a ball badly, hoping the other team is unable to recover it and you wind up with the ball by accident.

But the onside kick is necessary because it keeps the 4th quarter interesting, even when the game isn't that close. There's always the chance a team will score, get the onside kick, and score again. Maybe even a few times.

Instead, replace kickoffs with punts. It's 4th and 15 from your own 35. You can go for it or you can punt.
    On top of getting rid of the dumbest play in football, punt returns also have less injuries than kickoffs, and long punt returns are generally more exciting than long kickoff returns.

7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Too many changes already. I hate the new KO rules where you can call a fair catch or just ignore the KO and still get the ball on the 25. A KO was always a live ball and if you didn't down it, it could be recovered, sometimes for a TD. The KO return for a TD was always the most exciting play in football. But, now they don't want anybody to get hurt, so very few people try to run the ball back (except Devin D.).

8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Here's the play. When the ball hits a player, it's obscured by other players. Maybe there was another angle.

This video is taking the OP's side about the OU guy being blocked into the ball. Cry me a river OU. There's fouls that are not called on every single play.

9. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

The point of my post is NONE of the rest of this **** mattered. Ref blew the call from the beginning when the OU player runs over the KSU player. Whether OU touches the ball should have been irrelevant. Whether OU was blocked into the ball shouldn't have mattered. OU had already committed a penalty that gives KSU the ball and it's game over, no review, move on. Now if refs only knew the rules they are paid to enforce. Imagine that?? Someone actually being able to do their job. Can I just say I hate Big12 refs. Just pitiful how bad they are. Only thing worse is the announcers that don't know the rules either because I have to sit there and listen to them pontificate on something when they don't know what they are talking about.