“Opting” out of the system

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Sooner in Korea, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Sooner in Korea

Sooner in Korea 250+ Posts

Forget where you sit on the political spectrum but at what point to you opt out of supporting a government with your tax revenues? Consider the following assumptions:

-a simple majority imposes its will on you with services you do not need, require or agree that a government should provide and cannot pay for with the current tax structure.

-moving to a cash basis system will decrease your earnings but real income net of taxes will stay the same or increase. (not cash vs. accrual accounting but instead cash vs. electronic….tracked…..transactions)

-although you are in a minority….an expanding group of the population feels as you do and would support a shadow system like this. Additionally, these groups are regional and in some way grouped together already.

I’m not suggesting treason, violence or joining separatist groups as much as exploring the possibility that we will reach a tipping point where those that provide utility will be strapped with supporting those who don’t and those folks will find ways to opt out of the system.

2. Musburger

Musburger 500+ Posts

The cuuent system cannot be sustained; at least not without impoverishing half of the country. You may be on to something.

3. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

5. Musburger

Musburger 500+ Posts

6. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

The tax burden is steadily moving towards the top earners while the bottom half earners are paying almost no taxes whatsoever. That is an unsustainable system, and at some point the producers will get tired of it. Anyone who cares about the long term stability of the US should be concerned about this trend.

7. Sooner in Korea

8. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

9. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

...at the point you fly your airplane into an IRS building?
    Otherwise it is a federal crime to refuse to pay your taxes. People tried to do this during the Vietnam era, leaving off a percentage of the taxes due that corresponded to the amount being spent on that war. Didn't go over to well with the man.

10. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Lone Star in this primitive tax world I live in, I pay about 50% of what I make now. That includes state, federal, SS, Medicare, gas etc. In you modern world how much do I have to pay?

11. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

you need a better tax guy, mojo

12. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

I guess I am in that range where I don't have enough deductions. Not poor not rich around 150k. If 48% of the people are not paying income tax, I can't see much hope ahead for people in my income bracket.

13. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

14. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

15. J D the Obscure

J D the Obscure 250+ Posts

16. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

J D I mentioned gas taxes, state sales is close to 8%, throw in fees for everything under the sun. I sold my moms 1996 olds to a friend the other day and she had to pay the gov over 3 hundred dollars to buy it. You can't just ignore all the governmental fees out there. They are still a tax. I pay close to 3 hundred dollars a month in property tax.

17. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

18. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Someone can correct if I am wrong, but are there not embedded federal taxes on everything you purchase? Lone Star throw all of them together and I am sure it is close to 50%.

19. Sooner in Korea

20. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

21. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

At retirement, convert your financial assets to cash, gold or silver. I guess you could do that now if you have enough wealth. It would cost you plenty, but that would be the cost of satisfaction of knowing the Feds at least aren't Deaning you.

22. Sooner in Korea

23. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

24. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

25. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

Wrong. You only have to meet any one of those three criteria. I imagine that anybody who is being taxed enough to want to leave is taxed more than $139K.

26. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Taxes really kicked my butt this year and I have never been so depressed than to send my hard earned money away so that it could be pissed away on some government vote-buying program. I used to love my country. [​IMG]

27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

28. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

29. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I heard this week that only half of the country currently pays taxes. The others are in the no tax or receive tax kickbacks from Uncle Sam categories. I wonder which half the Treasury Secretary is currently occupying?

30. DFWAg

DFWAg 1,000+ Posts

Leaving the country and changing citizenship. That seems far-fetched to many Americans but it is certainly the way of the world. The UK bleeds citizens leaving for sunnier and more economically friendly climates all the time.