Our Offensive Line Stinks

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Nov 23, 2019.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

That is all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How is it our D is an asset now and our O is a liability? D played well against ISU. Note we have healthy players on D now (Sterns, Green, Brown, etc) and injuries on O (Brewer, Johnson).

• Like Like x 1
  3. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Seems like for one thing they really miss Brewer's blocking ability. They leaned on Beck alot as an extra blocker last year, also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RTM4

RTM4 25+ Posts

This whole team stinks. From the top all the way down to the towel boy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah this unit had a lot of depth issues going into the season and no Angilau just added to the problem.

6. scottsp

scottsp 100+ Posts

This program has produced one - count ‘em - ONE - NFL drafted offensive lineman since 2008. This current group continues that legacy.

Hell, it’s kind of tough to be that bad up front for that long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Fire the Towel Boy!!!

• Hot Hot x 1
  8. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

Offense has sucked really since 2009.

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Towel-boying is hard

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. RTM4

RTM4 25+ Posts

It sure is when your towel folding coach can't coach and then berates you because you didn't match up the corners properly.
    :fire: + dumpster = our team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Really, really hard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. horninchicago

On the road...

13. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Hats off to then Baylor towel boys. They did an excellent job.
    (for those who couldn't stomach the post game presser. That's exactly how it started)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

I agree that the o-line sucks right now. They were better early in the year which makes me think they are hamstrung by the offensive game plan and overall playbook or lack thereof. Everything we do is in slow motion and Sam and the running back standing in the backfield for 2-3 seconds after the snap doesn’t help. There is nothing (like misdirection/speed fakes) that makes defenses respect anything so the o-line is always on their heels as defenses just blow off the ball and get upfield. Just once I would like to see us give a direct handoff with the runner going downhill just hitting the hole and the line firing out. No defense has to respect the speed of our backfield as it is just average at best. The line does fail miserably at blitz pickup and handling stunts as they seem to let someone go by them untouched while double teaming another defender. At times yesterday it looked like they were playing blindfolded, so Hand like all the other coaches need to be held accountable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Weird thing was our OL played well against LSU, Okie State, and West Virginia. Maybe not fantastic or all-world, but they were more of a strength than a weakness at that point. And since then they seem to regress every single game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I don’t think that our problem is the O-Line. These players aren’t chopped liver and against probably the best defensive line we faced this year, LSU, they were nails.

We’ve had virtually no attrition except for Junior, two games ago. So the entire unit has basically been intact. That’s not typical.

It’s not the players and it’s not their motivation. Simply, it’s the play-calling and the scheming. When defenses know what you’re going to do, unless your team has an overwhelming player talent advantage — like Alabama has had for years — they can stop you.

Yes, I do believe that it’s that simple and if we hire the right OC for next year I expect for this offense to return to proficiency immediately.

17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Up is down, down is up, cats and dogs living together. Nothing makes sense now.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Only if Herman keeps his hands off of it...which is not likely.....and we have a new QB if the new offense requires a really good passer.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  19. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Nice shootin Tex!

20. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

This is what happens to our 4 and 5* recruits right now. [​IMG]

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  21. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

This happened to Charlie's offense in year 3 too. The new offense started off well with Buechelle and Foreman. But half way through the season, there was enough game tape to know what we were doing and gameplan for all of it.

At that point, the OC had to have add constraints to existing plays to make defenses pay for playing them straight up. Sterlin didn't have anything else. Neither does Herman.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I was on Hookem a few minutes ago. I learned that Herman changes game plans and has all veto power. Nothing new there. However, the outside runs aren’t working because our line is side stepping. If we crack block which means moving upfield to create a seam, we could stop LB’s from shooting our B gaps and stopping all outside runs. Baylor ran outside at will. We kept getting B gap leakage.

Is Herman disallowing Herb Hand from crack blocking to create seams for outside runs??

Auburn was a great running team under Herb Hand! I’m just asking, my experience was just CB. Blocking schemes could keep us from being physical even with more physical players.

23. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Oh and nice shooting Tex is from Ghost Busters, Bill. You quoted Bill Murray in your joke earlier.

24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

25. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Part of the problem in these last two games is that Sam is a little deflated and uninspired when it comes to the passing game. He probably feels it's all out of sync and that's why he is hanging on to the ball too long. It's a lack of confidence in the scheme. We desperately need a new offensive coordinator, some new light. LSU got it this year, we can do the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. horninchicago

Exactly what I have been saying about injuries on defense. Absolutely abhorrent "technique" here. He makes no attempt to go "across the bow" like I learned back in the 70s. A grab *** attempt at a tackle. Then, he goes down on his shoulder.

Anyway, is anyone else sick and tired of hearing how Texas is the most physical team and trains harder and more physically than anyone else? Does Baylor look intimidated by the physical Texas play here? I don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  27. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Ignorant hyperbole. You may return to GBH now.

28. BurntOrangeLH

Happens everywhere on other teams too. What is your point?

29. BurntOrangeLH

Daddy, what happens when a bigger guy stiff arms a smaller guy?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  30. horninchicago

Well, the head coach touts that Texas is the most physical team out there and trains harder and more physically than other teams. This is the result? It's piss poor, that is the point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1