PDA recommendations???

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Orange Infused, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Orange Infused

Orange Infused 25+ Posts

I'm looking to purchase a PDA and would like some recommendations on which ones have the best features and performance. I'd like to have the capability to connect to the internet for e-mail, and of course all of the usual "organizing" features (address, calendar, etc...)

If possible, I'd like to keep the cost below $300, but I do want a good one that will give me options on expansion/updating.

Sooooooo, and recommendations?

2. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Do you want a Palm or Pocket PC? I would highly suggest the latter. Windows Mobile kicks the crap out of Palm OS.

I've used a Toshiba e750 since Christmas and I like it a lot. It has integrated WiFi, syncs directly with Outlook/Office, and has dual expansion slots (SecureDigital and CompactFlash). However, it's not the newest thing on the market, so you might want to look around. From what I hear, HP iPaqs and Dell Axims are good as well. If you want WiFi though, expect to pay at least $300.

I'd recommend you poke around on here and get a feel for prices. Be sure to look at the thumb ratings and user reviews for all the PDAs you look at. CNet also has a handheld buyers guide that you might find useful.

3. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

PDA's are going towards the phone/pda combo. I would recommend looking into one of these. I have the Sprint Samsung PDA and it is a lot less to carry around than both.

4. free=good

free=good 100+ Posts

Do the phone/pda's have the ability to work with other programs like office and excel? When I was looking for one, they didn't and that may be something to consider. I love the Dell Axims.

5. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

the older ones don't. But from what I understand, the newer models have all the capabilities of the current PDA's including the ability to have removable memory cards.

From what I hear, the industry is leaning that way. Do some research first because you have to get a model that is compatible with your phone service.

6. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

It's not likely that a PDA phone of reasonable quality with expansion capabilities would be in her price range. In fact, there are very few PDA phones available for less than $400.

If you're happy with your cell phone, there's no reason to get a PDA phone, IMO.

7. 2xHORN

2xHORN 100+ Posts

If the ability to get email via the internet is desirable, then the thing has to have a modem of some description (or be reliant on wifi). If you have a modem then boom you have a phone.

She's not gonna find much with that capability in pda-only. So she might as well bridge the gap between 399 and 599 and get a Treo, Samsung, or Smartphone (M$). The PDA/phone combo is genius. Make a mere pda seem like teats on a hog.

I prefer Palm-based systems. They use a lot less overhead so your hardware goes farther. Also, the M$ things tend to have a lot of useless and distracting features.

8. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

9. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

the new PDAs with integrated wifi....do you get actual web pages on them? and at what speed? the internet i get on my phone, while sometimes handy, is pretty much ****. i'm assuming, and hoping, that the PDAs are more like a regular browser.

basically, can i change my fantasy football lineup with one or not? [​IMG]

10. MikeUT89

MikeUT89 25+ Posts

I surf this site all the time from my Treo 600.

Mike

11. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Mike, that's the last thing I needed to hear. Unless you want to buy one for me.

12. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

no ****, *******! [​IMG]

is it a pain in the *** to get the thing out to dial a number though? seems like it would be. and is that phone available for any service?