Petrino snubs SA Madison's Thomas

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by SchertzHorn, Jan 17, 2008.

1. SchertzHorn

SchertzHorn 100+ Posts

Looks like Petrino continues to add to his reputation as an ***. Not knowing this kid personally but having several friends who coached him, he is supposed to be a class act. He is also a stud back, averaging abuot 250 yds a game in the first 6 games before breaking his ankle. He was usually not even playing about half way through the 3rd quarter. It should be interesting to see who jumps into the picture in the next few days, but I am sure other coaches will use this against Arkansas in future recruiting battles.

link

2. UTgrad_KUlaw

UTgrad_KUlaw 25+ Posts

Why worry about long-term effects when you're a short-term coach?

Dick.

3. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

He needs to go where he is appreciated. Plus, Quitrino is a jerk.

4. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

Not too surprising anymore. Seems like many coaches have no honor these days.
    That's why I'm proud of a guy like Mack.

5. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

This is the guy that was kept in the game by Street when Madison was up big in the 4th. He ended up breaking his leg and diminishing his oportunities. Street drops in my book. I really wish the best for him.

6. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

The coaches name is STREETY. He's a great coach and he left Devin in that particular game because the other team (Reagan) came back in the 4th quarter against extreme odds last year. I don't fault him a bit. It was bad luck, nothing more.

Deving Thomas is a very, very good back. In the right program he could be a really good one.

7. SchertzHorn

SchertzHorn 100+ Posts

Streety is a great coach and Reagan had a great back in Marcus Wright, which is who they were playing when he was injured. Devin could end up at Ole Miss and get after the hogs in the SEC.

8. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Thunder is right. I know first hand that Streety is an honorable man and great coach.

9. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

I hope Thomas averages 300+ yards a game versus Arky and Petrino while at Ole Miss.
    And i hope he leave his cleats up Petrinos *** every time.

10. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

Oh please. Mack is notorious for not allowing recruits to visit other schools once they've committed. Every one of you support it 100%. I think its a great idea.

This kid is a good player and appears to be a good kid. But, while he says he was committed to Arkansas, he really had re-opened his recruiting. Had already taken a visit to Ole Miss and raved about it, and said he was planning other visits. Here is his quote one day before he decommitted:

"I'm still going to Arkansas next week, then to Arizona State the week after that," Thomas said. "I still have to figure where my last visit will be and then decide from there."

So, one day after he visits Ole Miss, mentions that he is visiting ASU, and talks about scheduling another visit and then "he'll decide from there", Petrino offers another RB (who commits on the spot) and cancels his visit to Thomas.

And you all think its crappy. But you know damn well, if this was Mack Brown, his scholarship would've been pulled two weeks ago. And rightfully so.

11. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

12. lawbu

lawbu < 25 Posts

Thomas is visiting Baylor this weekend.

13. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

14. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

The kid was wavering because there was a ****** up coaching change, right? I think that's a decent enough reason to waver, especially when the new coach just ****** a pro team and has a history of being a shady POS.

15. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

16. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

17. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

18. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

Seems like this a chicken/egg issue and we may never know which one is right.

In other words, did a lack of interest from the new coaching staff cause him to start looking around, or was he already looking around which caused the coaching staff to lose interest. Depending on which of those ways it played out makes a big difference in terms of who is really at fault here. But as I said, I doubt we'll ever know the truth with any certainty in this matter.

I have to say that given Bobby P's reputation of late, the first instinct is to lay blame on him, but it's certainly possible it was the other way around.

19. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

20. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

21. bnaroun

bnaroun 25+ Posts