Player Management 2017-18

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Dr. D, Apr 12, 2017.

1. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

It certainly stinks of rumor, though you never know. It'd be nice to stay above the fray of recent transfers, but upon a twitter search, Texas has had a few in the last 4 or 5 seasons: Nekia J, Lilley V, and Sara H.

Sure hope Raoul is wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Sure hope there's not fire with the smoke... I believe it was also Raoul who started the rumor that Megan Walker had committed to Texas. Whatever the case, it'll all work out in the end. Obstacles are just one of those things that happen here and again. I'd be very surprised if KA and the staff didn't already have some options to serve the person's best interest.... IF such person exists. I'll refrain from further comment and respect privacy until there's an official release. Again, IF such situation exists.

• Like Like x 3
  3. skilled

skilled 25+ Posts

When are the incoming recruits supposed to be on campus?

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Some of the men's recruits were tweeting that they themselves moved in the last couple of days.

5. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Baylor's 2017 class arrived on May 29? When do our Texas girls arrive?

6. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Chasity just tweeted this response to someone about starting college;

• Like Like x 4
  7. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I'll be relieved to get similar confirmations from Rellah and Destiny.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Destiny will be in Austin June 7.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Rellah had her graduation ceremony today; hope this tweeter knows her stuff:

• Like Like x 9
  10. LutherIsMyDog

Chasity will be in ATX soon. :e-hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  11. LutherIsMyDog

Woohoo! Welcome Rellah!

• Like Like x 8
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Great news on Rellah! Best news I've heard all week, especially after the recent rumors.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Well....that's THAT....... WELCOME Miss Boothe~~~

• Like Like x 5
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If everyone can stay healthy, we will have multitude of lineup combinations.

My we-need-a-three-pointer lineup would be:

Rellah Boothe
    Ariel Atkins
    Destiny Littleton
    Chasity Patterson
    Brooke McCarty

• Like Like x 4
  16. LutherIsMyDog

Agree. We'll be able to have a lineup where our opponent will pay a price if they double team Brooke. Someone from the group listed above will be able to give us points when we need them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

All right! Now we can get back to our real job---running the U.T. Women's Basketball program and deciding how Karen Aston should manage this rotation.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

LOL

• Like Like x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

My speed lineup would be:

Joyner Holmes
    Ariel Atkins
    Lashann Higgs
    Chasity Patterson
    Brooke McCarty

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

The glass half full side of my personality says Wow, this is an incredible array of talent; it's going to be fun. The glass half empty side thinks that just managing this assemblage seems incredibly difficult, for reasons I've posted about before. It's a three sided problem: giving the best 7 or 8 enough time together on the floor to develop chemistry; while giving talented newcomers enough minutes to develop; and giving everybody enough playing time to keep the team happy. At times there's going to a lot of talent sitting on the bench. If it works, the Texas staff won't just be genius coaches, they'll be world class psychologists.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Building depth is what Coach A has been striving for. Injuries each season have really limited us in one way or another. Just last season, injuries (and concussions) to Sutton, Khaleann, Audrey-Ann, Ariel, Brianna, Jada, and Kelsey kept us from being at full strength.

While I'd love for every single one of our players to be available and at full strength every game, it's just not realistic these days. So, the bench is shortened just a bit each game as players' health is taken into consideration.

Conditioning and foul trouble also sends players off the court and to the bench. So, having more depth certainly helps in that regard.

Coach A has shown in the past that she will play a lot of players in the non-conference portion of the season, and then begin to shorten the bench based on the competition. This roster will no doubt be her deepest and most talented. Anxious to see how it all unfolds in the Fall.

• Like Like x 3
  22. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I'm going to be interested to see how Jatarie White is used in the lineup. This team has a lot of big and tall ladies - Holmes, White, the twins, Booth, Oborowa. Hosey and Underwood are both 6' plus. Certainly an abundance of riches. Looking forward to how things progress.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lots of height; but, not many want to actually play Center or even Power Forward, it seems. Hopefully, Jatarie will be able (and willing) to contribute at Center, along with Audrey-Ann and Olamide. IMO, her best shot at earning a starting spot is at Center.

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Pretty sure we'll see Jatarie playing with her back to the basket. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I guess this was part of individual skills training? Coach Tina - still salty.

What to learn from this? Hand down, man down.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  26. LutherIsMyDog

Freshman having fun at camp

• Like Like x 1
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

http://www.statesman.com/sports/gol...-pitch-darrelle-revis/3js4ZPC1NArElKQk3XUe7N/

Music to my ears:

Texas women’s basketball coach Karen Aston is embracing the high expectations that come with coaching a team that will have 10 McDonald’s All-Americans on its roster, including reigning Big 12 player of the year Brooke McCarty.

“You’re always cautiously optimistic because you want to allow them to grow, but I think we’re going to be great,” Aston said.

She knows all roads to the conference title lead through Waco and her former boss Kim Mulkey, who raised eyebrows in February when she said, “There’s not a new sheriff in town just yet” after Baylor avenged a home loss to Texas with a win in Austin.

Texas, which went 31-5 and played in its third straight Sweet Sixteen, will add All-Americans Rellah Boothe and Chasity Patterson to go along with McCarty and emerging sophomore Joyner Holmes. Aston will be at the helm of easily one of the deepest clubs in the country.

Typo? 31-5 was our record two years ago, right?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  29. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Yep!

30. LutherIsMyDog

The article also left out Destiny Littleton as an All American addition.

• Like Like x 3