Playstation 3 purchase

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Hornoholic, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

I'm planning on buying the ps3 Wednesday for the TV in my game room. It'll be used mainly for NCAA 09, Blu-Ray movies, and maybe Gran Turismo 5.37" Samsung LCD 1080pHere's what I'm getting?Sony - Playstation 3 (80 GB)
    NCAA Football 09

HDMI cable?
    (do I need this. and if I do where and what kind do I need?)
    Ethernet Cable?
    (I'm assuming I need this to play online and download rosters? If I do need this, does it matter what kind I get?)
    PlayStation Network Card?
    (do I need this to play online and download rosters or is this just for downloading games, movies, ect?)
    Sony - Blu-ray Remote for PlayStation 3

Is there anything else I need to consider getting? I just don't want to get home and then realize I have to go back to the store and purchase some more ****.

2. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

You'll need an HDMI cable. Go by Time Warner and tell them you need one for your cable box - they'll give it to you for free. If not Altex. Do not spend more than $10.
    Ethernet Cable? Should be wireless. Mine is and the ONLY wires I have are an HDMI cable and the power cord.
    PlayStation Network Card? Not that I know of???
    I have the remote and it s really worth the $30 or so bucks.

Extra controller and bluetooth headset if you want to go online with comm abilities. Oh, and 300 and Apocolypto(sp) on blue ray. Welcome to the disease.

3. CMA 5.110

CMA 5.110 25+ Posts

Get your HDMI cables at Monoprice.com. This is a "hornfans approved" site. Many onthis board have purchased cables there. Like the previous poster said dont pay more than $10 on cables.

If you have a wireless network you just need to setup your PS3 to be on it. I assume you could use an ethernet cable if you dont have a network. Definitely get online. In addition to rosters and the like you get software updates and my favorite the ability to download free playable demos of almost every game. So you can try before you buy.

As for the remote, its good to have but you can control a bluray movie with your controller. Though check out amazon.com. Sometimes they have a sale of buy 3 movies get a PS3 remote for free.

4. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

OK.

I went to monoprice.com and it was a little over whelming.

Can someone take a look at the cables and recommend one?

thanks

5. DallasCMD

DallasCMD 25+ Posts

Best Buy is giving away a Sony ps3 remote with the purchase of 2 blu-ray movies. One of the eligible movies is the aforementioned 300.

Best Buy Link

DO NOT buy your hdmi cable at Best Buy. Order from monoprice.com. No need for an ethernet cable as the ps3 has wireless capabilities (assuming you have a wireless network setup in your home).

Edit: Oh yah, do not buy the heavy gauge hdmi from monoprice. I have a Samsung and I feel that they pull on the hdmi jack on the back of the tv. Unless you can figure out a way to support the cable in the back or buy one of those 90 degree adapters. Go with the cheaper 28 gauge cable and you will be fine. The smaller gauge is fine as long as you don't plan on running the cable over 10 feet or so.

6. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

Good stuff.

Of course Hornfans comes through once again.

Here's the cables I'm thinking of getting. I guess they'll work. I really don't know much about HDMI.

thanks again.

7. fhetw

fhetw 100+ Posts

dunno if youll see this in time, but walmart is having a sale starting at 8am saturday. $100 gc w/ purchase of 80gb ps3 ($399)