Police going after Phelp's marijuana

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by alden, Feb 12, 2009.

1. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

2. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Send him to jail. Send a message, you break the law you go to jail!!!! If you are stupid enough to have your picture taken you deserve what you get.

3. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

Wonderful waste of resources. Send him to jail? It's ******* marijuana people. Jesus Christ.

4. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

5. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

How are they gonna prove there's weed in that bong from a photo anyways?

6. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The last three presidents of the US have all smoked pot (though one did not inhale, of course) and look how screwed up the country is. This menace has got to be stopped.

[​IMG]

7. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

Surely law enforcement can make better use of scarce resources and can better protect the public than by hunting down a recreational pot smoker. Or maybe not, sadly enough.

8. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

9. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

10. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

If you are stoned and don't have marijuana on you, I dare you to go up to a cop and tell him that. With booze it is Public Intoxication, not sure what it would be if stoned but you can go to jail. In Denton County you got to jail and pay a $300-400 fine.

Yea, you break the law, you go to jail.

J-Walking good example!!!

11. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

12. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

Please enlighten me and tell me what the charge would be for Phelps or anyone else for smoking weed?

And for your info, I have been plenty high in front of cops. The smelled it and patted me down, didn't find anything cuz I left it somewhere and had to let me go.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

14. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Phelps is threatening to not continue swimming and not compete in the next Olympics over this ill-conceived vendetta by the hypoctites who are trying to gouge him over this trivia.
    He should change his citizenship and swim for Denmark and rack up 10 gold medals at U.S. expense.
    Is it really true the cops have already arrested seven or eight people who attended that party? Really? Why, because a national celebrity attended? I don't get it.

15. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

16. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"If you are stoned and don't have marijuana on you, I dare you to go up to a cop and tell him that. With booze it is Public Intoxication, not sure what it would be if stoned but you can go to jail. In Denton County you got to jail and pay a $300-400 fine."

It's still public intoxication.

§ 49.02. Public Intoxication.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the alcohol or other substance was administered for therapeutic purposes and as a part of the person's professional medical treatment by a licensed physician.

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d) An offense under this section is not a lesser included offense under Section 49.04.

17. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

It should be legal. This sheriff is an idiot, if he grew up semi normal I would imagine he smoked a little weed.

18. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

19. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

an incredible waste of money, but that's what the war on drugs is all about, wasting US dollars and putting billions into the hands of drug lords. I won't even go into the lost productivity costs associated with this stupidity.

I bet the dumbass Sheriff is some Democrat trying to make a name for himself. Sort of a miniure Ken Starr.. always unbiased and "forced" by the law to pursue all paths to ... get Phelps... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (one for each arrested citizen so far)

20. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

I'm more upset by the guys who took the picture and sold it to the press. That is low, man. Really low.

21. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

How do they know it wasn't hooka or salvia? Send a message, send him to jail?? Really? Do you think one person on the planet would reconsider hitting the bong because Michael Phelps spent a night in jail and paid a $200 fine. The message if the sheriff pursues this will be what a waste of my taxpayer money.

22. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

I am all for fighting drugs. If they arrested him in possession, I would say that's a good thing. But a picture? Sorry, but I bet there are some murders, rapes and armed robberies going uninvestigated for this sheriff's obsession with Phelps. If I were a reporter, I would find one of those cases and hang it around the sheriif's neck (figuratively) with articles about how that case is going without resources for this.

23. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

personally, I'd rate J walking higher on my list of things not to do than to hit a bong

24. Me So Horny

Me So Horny 100+ Posts

25. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I assume the picture would not be enough to "send him to jail," because we don't know what was in the pipe from a picture. Therefore, in order to nail a famous celebrity and get your name in the headlines, the sherriff would have to arrest several people who attended the party, threaten them with jail time, and coerce them into testifying that Phelps was smoking pot in the pictured pipe. Is that about right?
    Really a good use of all those governmental resources.
    I can see busting major drug trafficers, but people at a college party? Why?

26. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

The only thing I can think of is this.

If I was a cop, I'd rather hunt down Phelps than murders.

27. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

f**k me, don't the police have more important things to worry about and spend money/time on?

I can't actually believe that this is even a story right now.

Who give's a crap if he smoked a little sensi?
    America is so anal when it comes to weed. It's not a big deal for gods sake.

28. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

Stupid laws undermine the authority of the government to administer the good ones. Further, their enforcement diverts resources away from the enforcement of important laws. Drug laws directly promote and maintain lawlessness.

29. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

go arrest this guy ...

[​IMG]

30. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

A life sentence would be too lenient. This crime is unforgivable.

Awesome that they are arresting guys who are in further violation of the law than Phelps and getting them to turn to try to get Phelps on a lesser crime. We gots ourselves a cele-bray-tee, right here, boys. He ain't goin get by Sheriff Buford T. Pusser.