Poncho Ready?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Wideawake, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Wideawake

Wideawake 100+ Posts

It looks like rain is possible for the game on Saturday. It reminds me of the worst rain storm I've experienced in a game at the Missouri vs. Texas game in 1996. I got caught without a poncho and ended up drenched. The worst part was my wallet getting all wet.

What's the worst rain storm game you've been to?

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Uh? I was a student sitting behind 2 wet co-eds wearing white shirts. One of my better memories of the Mackovic years.

3. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Story is not real without pictures.

4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Wasn't it a Baylor game we had where the storm stopped the game for so long that when it restarted, hardly any fans were left?

5. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

I remember an Iowa State game like that. I had horrible seats, and then after the rain I sat about 20 rows up on the 50 yard line. Air was cool and breezy.

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Missouri in 1996 and again in 2000 both had tremendous storms. In 1996 you could tell at halftime it was coming and in 2000 I remember being in north end zone and watching rain come from south like a wall. Iowa State in 2006 was delayed over an hour by storm and yes fourth quarter was played in front of a 2/3 empty stadium.

7. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I was at that 2000 Missouri game.

Had the future Mrs. LAGA4 with me. She stayed for the whole game and didn't complain, and that sealed the deal for me. We were married shortly after.

• Like Like x 1
  8. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Both Pancho AND Lefty are ready:

(I've always like Townes Van Zandt's [the author] version the best)

9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

1984 - IIRC, it rained for OU, Arkansas, and a couple of other games that year, not for just 2-3 minutes, it rained the whole game.

10. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Who would have the advantage in the rain?
    I can't decide.

11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

For me, that miserable 1984 Texas - ou game...

As BevoJoe said, it rained hard virtually the whole game plus there was a scary amount of lightening all around the stadium most of the afternoon. Despite a poncho - I was wet from my feet all the way to the knees most of the game.

On top of the miserable conditions, the Horns had to scramble for a lousy 15-15 tie :brickwall:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  12. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Most miserable rain memory in recent years was when K-State gave us a 41-21 beatdown at home in 2007. Uh-oh...

13. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

It isn't going to rain at DKR from 11-3 ....

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gontex2

Gontex2 100+ Posts

There were lightning bolts dropping everywhere during the Missouri rainstorm n '96. I thought we were going to have a massive strike before we could get out of the place. Teams went back to the dressing rooms.

15. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

I was there for that Mo. game in 1996. I asked my wife if she needed to leave after we got soaked to the bone. She said she couldn't get any more miserable so we should stay for The Eyes. I love that woman.

• Like Like x 3
  16. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Goodness, that is funny!

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

In 2015 we're still calling female students "coeds"?

I was at both of those as a student. The 2006 ISU game I was at with my girlfriend and we were going to meet my parents after the game. We waited so long we finally just left to go meet them. One of only 2 times I ever left a game early.

The 2007 KSU game was really miserable. Not so much because of the rain, but because even when the rain let up it was still hot & humid, and I was already pissed from missing half of the first quarter due to ******** administrative ******** on behalf of UT and the gate admins.

18. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

As a student it was on September 27, 1980 against Oregon State in Austin.

It was a night game and I don't think anybody was thinking it would rain. Had been another scorcher that day and was warm and humid that night, temp was in the high 80's.

Then it just started pouring rain and it kept pouring. There was no need to try to even attempt to stay dry. I don't remember anybody having any rain gear in the stands.

Texas won 35-0.

19. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Texas Tech. 1963 or 1964. Night game. Cold front blew in and it was a light mist. I was so cold I do not remember who won. Donny Anderson was the quarterback for Tech.

• Like Like x 1
  20. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

When I was but a wee lad my best friend's dad took us to watch Marino and Dickerson in the sleet bowl, aka the cotton bowl game Pitt vs SMU back in the day. It rained, it snowed, it sleeted, it was miserable.

21. JesterSurvivor

JesterSurvivor 25+ Posts

Hell, that was the best result we had against OU in my four years at UT. Given that my best memory of my four TX/OU games as a student was being soaked to the bone to watch a tie in the rain, you can imagine how much I love it when we win now.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  22. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I had both boots half full of rain water in that Missouri game. You'd have thought I had my jeans tucked in. The rain was drowning my second flask of Jim Beam I hid in one of those boots. Oh the good ole days. :smile1:

23. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Jeff Ward kicked it right at me to tie that kissing your sister RRS game. I was too lit up to care about the rain.

24. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

I'll be wearing a poncho in my office watching the game on TV. Just to show my support.

25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Most miserable was seeing Rice beat Texas back in SWC years during a downpour. Sucked.

26. marley

marley 500+ Posts

It was one of those 63 - 14-like blowouts in the Cotton Bowl when it was REALLY COLD and rainy. Horrible loss and miserable weather.

Some of those late October/November away games against Kansas, KSU, Nebraska, and ISU rank right up there on the Miserability Index.