Port Hueneme, Ca

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by fasteddieisahorndog, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Just got offered a job in Port Hueneme. Substantial pay raise. Never would have considered it before but now I'm seriously thinking about it. First of all, I'm sick of this hot *** windy New Mexico weather (I live in eastern NM). Secondly, just got over a rough divorce. No kiids involved so I think its time for a move. Lived here for 20 years. Originally from San Antonio.

Anyone know anything about this place? Based on research and people who've lived in the LA area, its a great place to live.

2. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

My brother-in-law was stationed there and we went out there a few years ago for Christmas. It was very beautiful and I can only imagine how nice it would be to live there as a single guy. [​IMG]

3. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

it's a great area, and the weather is unbeatable.

Go West, young man!

4. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

5. Thanks everyone. I am now thoroughly convinced. Just made a counter offer but left my foot in the door if my counter offer fall through. [​IMG]

6. I find it eeiry interesting that this is the first post I've ever seen on hornfans (that I remember) where everyone is in agreement! Must be a sign! Also, I've always said that I wish I could live in a place where the weather is 60 degrees year around. Not quite but close enough!!!

7. waazel

waazel 100+ Posts

Grew up in Camarillo and friends/family still in Camarillo/Oxnard, so familiar with the area. YoLaDu had a lot of good notes. Won't write an essay here, but if you get it (or are still considering) and have more specific questions, feel free to ask.

8. Thanks Waazel. I've accepted the job offer and I''ll be on my way in about three weeks. Never been there. Any suggestions on place to steer clear from? I think I gonna find a roomate and not commit myself on where to live long-term until I'm living there for at least several month. I've check the local papers and craigslist and there a huge amount of people looking for roomies.

9. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

when you meet landfall, we expect a full update. You are coming at a great time of year.

10. waazel

waazel 100+ Posts

Shoot sorry just got back around to this. I am more beach-oriented, so if I had to pick a neighborhood, it would be Hollywood Beach. Right next to Channel Islands harbor. If I remember correctly, should be a good amount of rentals. Silver Strand is on the other side of CI Harbor or Oxnard Shores is another one. All of these communities are right on the beach which I assume is part of the appeal of heading out this way. I don't know what they call it but they extended CI harbor a little bit and built a whole new community (near Victoria and Wooley). These are "on the water" but not on the beach. If you kayak, this may be a nice option. Sorry, just wanted to throw some quick thoughts out I can look into it some more....

11. I'll be there officially on the 26th of August! I flew over last weekend and its better than I ever imagined. Drove from Ventura to Santa Monica on PCH 1. AWESOME! Malibu is the bomb! Got a place at Channel Islands harbor marina. See you guys at the Rose Bowl!!! [​IMG]