Portable DVD Players

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by RC Didnt Offer, Apr 22, 2004.

1. RC Didnt Offer

RC Didnt Offer 250+ Posts

I'm looking to pick up a portable DVD player for my van. I need one that can strap on to the back of the front seat so the little one can have fun on long trips but also so that I can take it on trips with me.

Any advice?

2. gunnerhorn

gunnerhorn 100+ Posts

I had a little experience with them when I was in the market for one. To tell you what I remember, most of them had the same setup where the screen folds up and the DVD is loaded into the surface facing the screen. So, I think it would be difficult to strap it in. You could always get one of those car-specific TV/DVD entertainment things. That would probably be better for a little one anyways since there's less of a chance of dropping, breaking, etc...

3. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

I need a mattress for my van. [​IMG]

4. WooHorn

WooHorn 250+ Posts

I spent a long time looking for the same set up and gave up. They had (at the time, but I doubt they make many now) a "VCR in a box" that did exactly what you wanted, but they do not have a battery and they are not DVD. I ended up buying the top of the line Panasonic DVD (and I bought the custom case for it which I love) and I use some hold-down straps to securely strap it to the console between the front seats. The kids can generally see it well enough, but it isn't great I am sure. However, the machine won't get stolen like many of the built in units do, and I use it on flights and I can take it into restaurants to use with the kids when necessary. Again, for flights, restaurants, etc. the custom case is awesome.

5. Ring1

Ring1 25+ Posts

Why not just get a decent laptop and play movies on it? It's portable and has a larger screen.

6. RC Didnt Offer

I'm not sure how the little one in the back seat could watch it. Where would I put it? I have a decent laptop but would have to buy a DVD drive.

7. AkakHorn

AkakHorn 100+ Posts

Right now as Sams you can get the portable DVD player in a travel case. It attaches to the back on one of the front seats, and comes with TWO 7" LCS screens, and it's $399. I'd have bouth it if I didn't have one already ... great picture and sound.

8. RC Didnt Offer

Thanks! I'm off to Sam's then.