Practice vs game performance & J Heard

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Driver 8, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Herman says that if you practice well during the week, you play on game day. Right now I want to see the shittiest practicing kicker playing on Saturdays. Test the theory, ya know, get some data points

Jerrod Heard has played a little QB and been really good at times. We roll him in there for a predictable "wildcat" (aka Heard right keeper) and then abandon the Heard QB thing altogether because it didn't work. He's not VY or Colt but he can play the position, and if given practice time and opportunity I think he can play it at least as well as anyone else right now, plus he has actual wheels

• Like Like x 3
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

This has been my stance for a while now. If we are rolling out the best we have due to practice we are so screwed

• Like Like x 1
  3. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I am beyond frustrated on how they utilize J Heard. I feel for this young man. This is not what he signed up for on signing day. But he seems to be making the best of it. They can say whatever they want to say about him but he's a GAME CHANGER! 2 State titles to prove it.

And please kill the wildcat play. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!! Everybody knows what the play is. It's not going to work. AARRGGHH!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I like Heard as an athlete, but he isn't a QB on this level. He had his shot and didn't make the grade. Receiver is his natural position, and the only position for him in the next level.

• Like Like x 1
  5. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps true. Perhaps. But then again, we all know the definition of insanity yet we keep doing the same thing, expecting a different result.

7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Just saw the NFL Cowboys run a pass play. The pocket had broken down, Dak rolled to his right toward the sidelines in the meantime the receiver on the sideline, who had stopped, had started downfield Dak saw him and threw the ball to him. So that's a great example of a receiver helping the quarterback by getting open way down the field it was a big play why can't we do something like that. In fact that could even be a designed play by dragging a receiver across the deep middle or a post route,pulling the safety with him and then the other receiver do a stop and go along the sideline. That's a TD or interference penalty. Just having a little fun.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Be nice if you had to play well on game day too.

• Like Like x 5
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Anyone remember Colt waving to the receiver to go deep when he (Colt) was running for his life? Happened more than once and not just w Shipley. I know, I know, we all miss those days.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Herein lies part of the problem. There is not any proven evidence that the receivers are looking back at either Shane or Sam when they are in trouble. Most of the time they run their pattern and quit.

• Like Like x 4
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

This would require coaching on a few issues:

1) A QB that can read a defense

2) WRs that can read a defense

3) Communication between QB & WRs

Having seen every game, recorded and reviewed the same, I have seen no evidence that any of the above has or will occur.

• Like Like x 5
  12. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

We rotate so many guys in and out of that position no way they will get and decent feel for each other

13. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Buddy Ryan use to say to his OC when he was the coach at Philly to just get out there and make 3 big plays and we will win the game. Randall Cunningham would go out there and hit a couple of long passes for a TD and the Eagles had a really good defense and their chances went way up they would win. Sometimes we are so busy trying to establish first downs that we forget that the objective is get the ball across the goal line. Do we really feel good about our offense having 15 to 20 play drives that we won't get a personal foul, off sides, holding call, offensive pass interference, fumble, interception, illegal procedure, illegal substitution, and most importantly that happens the most in getting the QB sacked. Why not stop trying to be strategic and get the ball down field and see what happens. If we fail on that drive then let our all-American punter blast a 65+ yard punt and allow our defense to give us another chance to do it all over again going down field. Once you spread out the field it can get the defense backfield backed off then try some of those passes in the flats. It might have to be Heard back there to give our WR a chance to run deeper routes. We are desperate for an offense and I'm tired of watching all the ways we have drive killers.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

If I had the stomach to rewatch more of our games, I'd focus on this more. There's a clip on BC of a third and short where we tried to throw an out to LJH, whom we had isolated on a linebacker. He sort of jogs into his break, makes a hard plant and runs at about 75 percent toward the sideline, and predictably is covered like a blanket.

So I'm starting to wonder about the route quality coming from some of these younger guys, and it's making wonder if that's why we keep seeing Joe and Leonard in the game.

• Like Like x 3