"Pressure is self-inflicted" ......

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by car54, Nov 27, 2016.

1. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

This guy is good ....... Sounded likeUrban Meyer when he answered that question about media pressure etc...

• Like Like x 4
  2. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

I let out an audible "dang" when he said that! Taking it with me to my workouts this week!

• Like Like x 4
  3. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

He said pressure is a result of not being prepared.....No wonder Charlie said his players felt pressure to win and couldn't relax and have fun when media was hammering about Charlie's job being on the line .....They weren't prepared !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

• Like Like x 2
  4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Didn't like that part at all no need to shoot that slug same can be said about him with navy, smu, and Memphis

• Like Like x 2
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think the comment is valid. It's the same at work when giving a presentation. The only pressure really is dealing with chicken-**** people but if you are prepared you should be confident.

• Like Like x 1
  6. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

I feel those three losses may be a direct result of his team knowing they were losing their coach, and losing focus.

7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Same can be said about strong and Texas then. I'm not saying he was right or wrong that just wasn't the time or place for that straight up aggy move if you ask me but hey who am I

8. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Totally true. When I was in grad school, I'd ace tests because I was older and knew how to study. By the time a test came around, I was already studying for the next test. When you prepare properly, you know you've done everything you can do and so you play relaxed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Don't sell that realistic logic here, 54. They'll never get it.

Not many here watched UH play the first 20 games balls out, drop 1 close one, and then all the sudden their in-game will and desire looked different.

Few will accept it was more than coincidence LSU fired Miles and the players knew it was over at that point and looked like a diff team on the field most games after.

It's okay. These same people will claim Strong would be 9-3 too when Herman hits it next year. Gonna be a byproduct of making a change to a competent coach. It's worth the return to glory. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I hear you, and thought the same thing, but I'll give Herman the benefit of the doubt and believe he didn't mean it as a dig towards Strong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Well, everyone is prepared until you aren't and the losses start piling up. This happened to Strong, and may happen to Herman.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I loved the part about telling the players the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting diff results. Sack up, People.

There's no need to compliment Strong's 14-21 failure if you're the next guy. He said he was a great "man". That's good enough. No need to brag on his coaching which produced dreadful results.

You gonna compliment the last CEO you replaced who brought the company's revs to all-time new 3-year lows?

Just move aside and let someone who knows how to succeed get things going his way. You had your chance, it's time for the Hermanator to do it his way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If the coach isn't prepared then the players won't be... if the coach is, the players will be. It sounds simple but I believe it to be true.

• Like Like x 5
  14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yep, nothing is guaranteed but we certainly have taken a step towards resurrecting this mess, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I’m eager to see what he can do with recruiting between now and February. I think a lot of guys are going to want to take another look at the Texas program with Herman in charge.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

People are about to get a heavy dose of what a competent, determined, proactive coach looks like.

The wave of energy that will come in his wake in Texas HS recruiting, and also his making sure he gets enough solid arms in house to find a rock solid QB.

Let the man show us what it looks like to do everything possible to field a team ready to win big in Year 1. It's coming and more fans will buy in as new talent jumps on board.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

I loved the part about telling the players the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting diff results. Sack up, People.

There's no need to compliment Strong's 14-21 failure if you're the next guy. He said he was a great "man". That's good enough. No need to brag on his coaching which produced dreadful results.

You gonna compliment the last CEO you replaced who brought the company's revs to all-time new 3-year lows?

Just move aside and let someone who knows how to succeed get things going his way. You had your chance, it's time for the Hermanator to do it his way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!!!!!!!

I would add: Him ripping off HS JV Coaches names was BRILLIANT

• Like Like x 2
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

What's great is how all the negativity is just gone... the press conference was one of total optimism. You could see how the room was full of hope and pride that the standards of the university ON THE FIELD would be ALIGNED (our new buzz word) with the mission of the academic side. That Tom has the rep to recruit against ANY coach head to head and that the high school coaches were told that THIS was THEIR program; the flagship of Texas. Recruiting is going to be nothing but good things without any need to sell something that conflicts with the reality of the recent past.

The other great thing was to see how Mack has now settled into his legacy of his national championship and mentor to a generation of players and coaches.

Was it just me or did the media seem respectful? This ain't New York is it?

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  19. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Media seemed optimistic, as it did when Strong was hired.

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I noticed that too. And I remember how many puff pieces Charlie got at first. I wonder how long it will last this time around.

21. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'll admit I was excited about the Charlie Strong hire. By year two I was concerned at poor in-game decisions and lack of adjustment. I pretty much knew Charlie was, at best, a second tier coach after West Virginia in 2015. Down two scores the Longhorns got the ball back with a minute and a half left in the first half. I can't remember exactly the field position, but it wasn't in the realm where you worried about a safety. The Longhorns Deliberately ran out the clock. Probably the best thing to do if you have no plan... but a well coached team would have a plan.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I liked that he was unafraid to state the obvious. It sure doesn't sound like he'll go into a presser after a loss and say "we just got to get better."

The subtle digs at the program regarding the pressure comment and T-I-M-E actually seemed rooted in his understanding of our program, which I appreciated as well. If you're Texas and you feel pressure, then do something to prepare better and know that you're going to go into a game and win it. I get the sense that Mack probably felt that way the past 3 years as well... knowing those guys in the locker room and how Strong was probably not doing something right to make sure they didn't feel "pressured" to perform.

One thing that felt a little weird was his "I've only been here for a few hours" comment that he said a couple of times. He brought assistant coaches with him on the plane to Austin, so when he was asked if he had thought about hiring any assistants, he should have been a little more forthcoming about his timeline for hiring those guys. Don't say something like "I'm going to give every 2016 coach a chance" when you clearly are going in a different direction.

23. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That was the glaring issue with Charlie that seemed to come up a lot. Too many situations would come up in a game and it seemed like the staff hadn't decided how they should be handled.

To be fair, just because he already had people he was going to hire didn't mean he wouldn't hire the guy who was currently coaching that position at Texas. Plenty of guys can coach or have coached multiple positions. Maybe he talks to Traylor and decides he's valuable enough to keep at a different position, or even creating a position on the staff (for example.)

• Like Like x 2
  24. hornarama

hornarama 100+ Posts

I thought it was telling that he said he learned about inclusiveness and managing people from Coach Brown, but coaching(3 years of head coaching school) from Urban Meyer. As far as his response about pressure, he just answered truthfully how he thinks about pressure which seemed very healthy. It was not meant as a dig against anybody, but simply his viewpoint. It's sort of like the difference between saying "don't drop the ball" and "hold onto the ball." It gives a positive spin rather than a negative one.

25. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Oh, I think I get it.
    You mean like "We just gotta play better" - instead of "We go our butts kicked" :deadhorse:

• Like Like x 1
  26. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Big difference between the two though. The two coaches were leaving because of completely different situations. One coach was getting a promotion because his team went 6-0 vs ranked teams. The other coach because he lost 7 games every year he coached with one being Kansas that hadn't won a conference game in three years and who hadn't beating us since 1939. I guess it can be the same that they lost their players because of potential coaching changes though.

27. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I've read studies (or articles referencing studies, to be more accurate) that indicate that when you tell someone "don't drop it", something in the brain doesn't register the negative, and our subconscious hears "drop it". That doesn't mean you're compelled to drop the ball, but it just means that negative wording can have an impact on a player and how he performs.

• Like Like x 1
  28. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

He was just speaking in general. Just becuase he brought a couple of coaches doesn't mean he will hire them. They could get offers elsewhere and take that offer. They could get OC or DC offers from small schools etc. I think it was good for him to not comment on specifics.

29. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

You normally say protect the ball.

30. hornarama

hornarama 100+ Posts

Yes, this is what I was getting at. His approach to pressure just reflects understanding about the source of the feeling of pressure. I'm sure everyone has experienced being truly prepared and there is a calm that comes over one in that you know you couldn't have done anymore. If a player is feeling pressure, it is appropriate to ask them to try to determine from where it is coming---where is their area that they don't feel prepared.

Daryl Royal had an oft used phrase relating to preparedness--"luck is where preparedness meets opportunity."

I'm just hoping our defense will start to be able to have the discipline to contain better. It was starting to drive me mad that our ends pinched in all the time and lost outside contain consistently.

• Like Like x 1