Program Status

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by theiioftx, Sep 26, 2019.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

When Sam exclaimed “We’re baaaack” I cringed because I thought that was premature. And it was. Losing Lil J was a huge hit along with key defensive players.

However, I think we are clearly on the way back. The offense is unstoppable. The defense has weaknesses and even more with recent injuries. But I really like the speed, hitting and aggressiveness of this young unit.

We will win 9 or 10 games this year and be in position to play for a national championship in years to come. Hats off to Coach Herman and the rest of the staff. It’s time to go on a run. :hookem:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Here Here.

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I thought last year could be 2008 type of year. It was more like 2007. Hopefully this year is like 2008.

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If you look closely at who is starting and who will be returning next year, I can almost guarantee we will be one of the top 4 teams.

We will be in the same spot LSU is in this year, returning a senior QB and 7 starters on offense and 8 on defense. WR talent will take a hit after losing Duv and CJ, but we will bring back Eagles, Epps and Smith. So Sam will have some great targets. All of our TE will be back. All of our Running backs will be back. 3 of 5 offensive linemen will be back, but the depth will be outstanding. Angilau will step into Parker Braun's shoes and should pick up right where he left off. Not sure who will replace Shack, but we have a lot of guys who are going to be ready to contribute.

Defensively we lose Roach, B Jones, and McCullock. Hopefully DeGabriel Floyd will be healed and ready to play. If we can find a pass rusher, we will be every bit as talented as anyone in the country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

We get Robinson next year, but this year 9 or 10. Please. We're winning 10 in the regular season plus we'll have the CCG and a bowl. 11 wins minimum. After OU we're double digit favorites in every one of our games. Winning the Oct OU game isn't as important as winning everything else and beating their *** in the CCG. I mean I want to win them all, but I'm tired of winning in Oct only to have it not mean a thing. Time to beat them in December when it matters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Time to do away with Bowelsby and his worthless piece of **** December experiment. He tried, he failed miserably to benefit the conference for a few measly bucks, not to mention failing miserably in his attempt to play commissioner.

:hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

So you're saying we have all the ingredients and coach just needs to bake the cake?

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What’s wrong with the regular season conference winner playing ND?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Why the hell give the Catholics more unwarranted credibility to get to the playoff? The regular season winner of the Big XII will always get consideration for the playoff; thus the need to can Bowelsby and his failed experiment.

10. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I respectfully disagree - beating Zero U is always important. One of my bridge partners is a sooner fan, and I don't want to have to listen to his gloating!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree with HHD. My wife's great-niece plays soccer for ou, and we went to their match with TCU last night. The good: no one playing Boomer Sooner; the bad: sitting in the stands surrounded by crimson and cream. I held my tongue until we walking over the ou bus (could not miss the bus - had big ou wrap on each side) after TCU won 2-0 (both goals on PK's arising out of the ou GK aggressive play). As we walked I told my wife that nothing bad happens with any ou loss.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yep. And, I'd have to back and look, but I don't think Texas has won the Big XII having lost to OU in October. OU has managed to win it losing to Texas, however. Texas HAS to beat OU to win the Big XII. That is just the way it is.

Well, since we have only won 3, it was easy to check. I stand corrected. We lost to Ou in '96 and won the Big XII. They were down for sure, so not sure that will happen again.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

And the ONLY way it should be

:deadhorse:

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Two birds with one stone. A B12 victory kills ND’s chances and virtually guarantees the B12’s chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What about those seasons where ND is, say, 8-4 or 7-5? It's not a good idea to pencil in one opponent in perpetuity.

• Like Like x 1
  16. horninchicago

[Coach] To hell with that, let's pencil 'em in in Austin! [/From "Cheers"]

• Like Like x 1
  17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Formats different now. Used to you lose to OU you lose tie break to the CCG. Now you lose that game and win out you're in the CCG. Make no mistake I want to win that game. Big time. But I'd rather win in December. What I'm tired of is beating them in Oct only to have it not matter. 08 and last year. OU still gets to the friggin playoff or champ game. We may not be at full strength when we play them in Oct. We are also young and will continue to develop on the defensive side of the ball. We're pretty damn good now. I'm hoping we peak at the right time.

18. horninchicago

They find a way to win it most years, Conference, that is.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I didn’t say it would be a playoff game. I said it could be a replacement game for the conf championship game where the regular season conf champ gets an extra game to showcase in front of the CFP committee. My point is that over the long haul it would be more positive to the regular season B12 champ than playing another conference opponent for the “championship“.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Way too pessimistic. I’ll pencil in 11 + 1, before the CFP. And I’m not kidding. 9 or 10 this year would suggest a collapse and that’s not going to happen.

21. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I'd call 10 wins in regular season and win the CCG assuming we are relatively healthy.

22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I hope I am wrong. We have so many injuries right now and not much depth. I see this as a benefit long term because young guys will get significant playing time. Anything more than 9 is a bonus to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

I’m optimistic about the future, but pessimistic we won’t stub our toe.
    Sam cannot take any unnecessary hits in obvious winnable games.
    He is one of the top 5 most valuable players to a top tier team.
    Burrow, Lawrence, J. Taylor, Hurts, or Sam go down, the team goals change immediately.

24. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

Hey! You weren't having any of that when I tried to point out to you in the preseason.

I do agree about next year, the roles will be reversed.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Couple of differences

1. Our oline is a strength of our offense, yours wasn't.
    2. Who would have guessed your offense was like releasing the Kracken for your wide receivers. I knew you always got good talent at WR, but we didn't expect Joe Burrow to be actually good.

Next year you will be breaking in a new QB, hopefully it isn't a transfer like blOwU always gets. Also hoping a few of your juniors (Justin Jefferson, Delpit etc.) takes their talents to the next level.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It’s nice to see the QB position as a positive for us again

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, Sam has very little chance this season since the Heisman has turned into a QB beauty contest between the QB of the $EC champion and the ou QB, the winner of Alabama/LSU will have a big edge until 12 October. If Texas cannot stop Hurts, he will take over from Tua until Alabama and LSU play on 09 November. The winner of that game will take over and become the odds on favorite to win the Heisman until the Big XII CCG. If Hurts has a big game the Heisman contest will be basically over. Moral of the story - until someone stops ou on the field, Riley is the QB whisperer and his QB will always have the bias in the Heisman voting.

Texas should roll everyone on their schedule next season so Sam should be the favorite (assuming he returns).

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Viper
    THAT is exactly what I am going to assume.
    Please.

29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

If we can get the W in Baton Rouge next year we could go into RRR as favorites for first time in a loong time

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

This year's ballot is the winner of Alabama/LSU vs Jalen

We can really hurt Jalen's chances in two weeks. (No pun intended.) Unlike last year, he won't come back even if they roll us in the Bowelsby Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1