Projected starters

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by griff218, Jan 20, 2008.

1. griff218

griff218 < 25 Posts

I was wondering who is in line to replace to starters lost on the line and the secondary. I remember Christian Scott's video's and he seems to have had great instincts. Is he in the starting mix? I sure do hope that Rucker can help keep all these guys out of trouble this off season.

2. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

Roy Miller (Sr) will start at DT for sure. He is a stud and has played a lot here in his first three years. Roy Miller

The other starter at DT is more difficult to call, although I would guess it will be Ben Alexander (Jr). He has the most experience out of all the other DT's, which is a scary thought, b/c he hasn't really played a whole lot (although he has appeared in 14 games) and is still a relatively unkown and unproven commodity at this point. Ben Alexander

Other options are Brian Ellis (3rd yr Soph), Michael Wilcoxin (RS Fresh), and Tyrell Higgins (RS Fresh). None of these guys has played at all.
    Brian Ellis
    Michael Wilcoxon
    Tyrell Higgins

True Freshman Jarvis Humphrey was highly recruited and is a national top 100 prospect. He could play as a True Freshman. Another True Freshman is Kheeston Randall, of whom I know very little about.

Defensive End Aaron Lewis has played a little tackle at UT, so he could potentially slide over there and play, as well as maybe Henry Melton.

I'm abundantly confident in Roy Miller but a few other guys are gonna have to step up and provide some talent and depth.

Ishie Oduegwu (4th Yr Jr) will likely start at safety. He's been hurt a lot in his career but has shown some great athleticism and playmaking ability.
    Ishie Oduegwu

Ben Wells and Christian Scott were both highly recruited guys and one of them will likely start at the other safety position.
    Ben Wells
    Christian Scott

True Freshman Nolan Brewster and Aaron Williams are two highly recruited players who could potentiallly play in 08. Blake Gideon is another incoming safety who wasn't as highly recruited but had a spectacular career at Leander and I believe is already on campus.

3. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

nice work truck [​IMG]

good post

4. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

Wasn't Ellis a 5 star end that beefed up? I am hoping he can be the quick tackle, while Miller plays the strong tackle role. Miller has always seemed like a NT kind of guy. Seems like they have a complimentary skill set.

5. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Unless Muschamp does something we're not used to, I think Humphrey plays a lot his true freshman year. It worked for Okam, Lokey, Wright, Miller, etc. Not to knock Alexander, Ellis, Wilcoxon, or Higgins, but Jarvis is just plain higher-profile. I think the staff learned a lot about the benefits of playing youth vs. experience in the month leading up to the bowl game.

In the secondary, we need a re-emergence of the Browns (Chykie/Curtis) and I fully expect Scott, Thomas, and Ben Wells (assuming he's not caught in cars with someone drinking lean) to play a lot. Oduegwu gets first shot at proving he can play, but the redshirted guys are damn impressive. In 2002 when we started using Ced Griffin and Michael Huff, people prepared for the revolution.

Palmer did well enough to not lose his starting job, although I think he'll still stick with the other team's #2 man, while Beasley takes the #1 for most games.

7. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

It's late here. So cut to the chase. Are we ok on the DL next year?

8. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

9. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

We should be ok at both DT and in the secondary. At DT we definately need somone to step up but Roy Miller is very good. Just as good as Lokey and Okam in my opinion. We need someone else to step up and Ben Alexander played well this year in limited action. I expect Ellis and Humphrey will get a lot of PT as well. But expect Roy Miller to have a huge season.

In the secondary we lose some guys but we have so much young talent waiting to shine. Deon Beasley is gonna be a good one now that he is the man. Curtis and Chykie are going to be great backups and will bring big play ability in the Nickel and Dime packages. Ishie Odegwu played well last year and he should continue to develop into a good safety. Christian Scott will have the inside track to the starting job but expect Nolan Brewster and Aaron Williams to push for playing time.

10. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

Wasn't Curtis Brown a complete badass coming out of high school? One of the higher rated CB prospects we've had. I'll be very disappointed if he doesnt see the field often.

11. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

Count me as someone that also expects Mack to let Lewis Slide over to DT. We are very deep at DE so that either Eddie Jones or Lamaar Houston can get some snaps opposite Brian Orakpo. We also have Emanual Acho who has a never ending motor. At linebacker I think we'll be better. Muschamp seems like the type of coach to not play someone just because of their seniority (Didn't we say the same thing about McDuff?) I'm hoping that Mack isn't the utlimate reason why our young LB's haven't played significant time. The Starters SHOULD be Kindle, Norton, and Muckelroy. But We'll see how Bobino plays in spring ball. I'm also excited to see Keenan Robinson play this fall.

12. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

13. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We'll end up calling Norton and Bobino "co-starters" or some crap like that and alternate putting them in on the first defensive play when we're not in nickel/dime formations. Bobino started 39 straight games before the Holiday Bowl... Mack's not going to put him on the bench for the beginning of every game.

I said before that Lewis needs to spin back to DT, but several on here have told me he's unwilling to do so. I guess if Lamarr Houston and Henry Melton keep piling on the pounds, they're the primary candidates to move over to DT. Seems like a shame for Houston, as he was arguably our best pass rusher. Maybe they're making room for Acho and Jones to step up?

I'm still waiting for the Curtis/Chykie Brown to step it up. Neither had memorable seasons, other than the pooch kick recovery against Tech. I want to see the shirted guys play immediately in the secondary.

14. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

15. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I am not sure I see Dockery or Tanner beating out Allen or Huey this year for starting jobs. Allen will probably be a backup OT but I would not be suprised to see him get more PT at OG this year and if he does in the spring then he could win that job. Tanner is not in the same league as Huey.

16. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

I heard that Earl Thomas was the most impressive of the young safeties in practice.

17. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

My biggest question for next season: Should Colt go down, do we have a passing game at all? Are either of the backups going to progress in the passing game? I can't remember feeling as uneasy about backup QB as I do right now with the guys behind Colt, and he has had injury problems in the past.

18. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

19. Trilla

Trilla 25+ Posts

Akina was always praising Curtis Brown at CB and Ben Wells at safety. He always said Foster may have been the quickest player he has coached, until Curtis Brown stepped on campus. Palmer is going to have a hard time holding onto that starting CB spot.

20. Pimpology

Pimpology 100+ Posts

Do Chiles and Harris still combine for one pass completion in their careers? Scary.

21. Shotcallah

Shotcallah < 25 Posts

1. Ishie got flattened by Javorskie Lane and has or will have shoulder surgery soon. He is out for the Spring.
    2. Aaron Lewis broke his collarbone in the Holiday Bowl and is or will have one or more surgeries and I understand he may not be ready for next years season.
    I expect Melton to move over to DT and add depth and perform at a high enough level.