Public Golf Courses

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by SkippyJack, Mar 13, 2002.

1. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

I have mentally blocked out Saturday I don't even know what you're talking about capn.

same goes for you ninerhorn, no recollection of anything on Saturday.

...does that give you an idea?

anyway, played down at Circle C today with Nacho, ornjblud and his brother. For most of the round I actually felt like I had played golf before. Had 3 "bad" holes (3 doubles, ouch) and ended up +11. Not bad considering the weekends events.

by the way, Circle C is in really good shape. Last time I played there (about 2 months ago) it was a ********. Must give credit to them for bringing it back.

2. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Huffhines won ... what he won is another matter altogether.

Actually, it was medal play. I shot a SMOOTH 81, but I'm not sure where I ended up. The results should have been out today, but they're late. Hopefully, I took 3rd or 4th (should be good for some cash), but I'm afraid that with the greens that slow, too many people could shoot under their handicaps. We'll see.

3. Nacho

Nacho 100+ Posts

no mention of my 165 yard eagle on 10? ******.

by the way, don't forget to check out the 'private jet' thread on 3:16.

4. unpaintedhuffhines

my bad nacho.

Yes, an awesome 165 yard eagle. A couple of hops and right into the hole. Very nice.

and for the record, I don't believe the private jet story for a second.

5. ornjblud

ornjblud 25+ Posts

I have to agree with unpainted about Circle C, it is in much better shape than I have ever seen it in a long while.

Nacho / unpainted - Thanks for letting us join up at the turn. Between my erratic play the first several holes and the rain, I hope we didn't slow you down too much. [​IMG]

6. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

I had to spin by ACC Riverside over the weekend and noticed Riverside golf course has "memberships" for $99. Anyone know the scoop on that?

7. ornjblud

ornjblud 25+ Posts

mishatx - I don't anything about the $99 membership, but on their website they have regular and member rates (member rates are $5 cheaper). I assume the "membership" gets you the member rates, so if you play more than 20 rounds a years out there (20 to break even) it may not be a bad deal. LINK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    On a different note....

The September issue of Golf Magazine had some interesting info. They surveyed 2000 golfers (25+ rounds/year) and here's some of what they found:

Average score: 91.9

Average handicap: 17.3 (17% don't have handicaps).

Spend average of $2382/year. 3% spend more than 10K, 1% spend <$100.

57% play at public courses, 22% at semi-private.

25% think about golf less than once a day, 36% once or twice, 29% several times a day, and 5% never think about golf.

80% are married. 8% have had sex on a golf course (18% for low handicappers).

Temp must be over 107 and under 41 in order to not play.

69% said great day with family made them happiest, whereas 29% said it was a great round of golf. [​IMG]

14% have sneaked onto a course without paying.

16% have broken club in anger, 1% have broken at least 7 clubs, 43% have thrown club in anger and 9% have thrown "as far as I possibly could", and the remaining have thrown it "a few yards".

48% would want to shoot the lowest 18 hole score if you only had one day of golf left

62% play the best golf in September.

55% percent derive more pleasure from hitting the ball well than a low score. 64% would rather putt well than drive well.

37% want to simplify the rules, 23% would allow "preferred lies" everywhere, 10% want a larger cup.

59% have improved lie when no one was looking.......91% witnessed someone improve their lie.

Biggest problem with golf is cost - 47%, lack of etiquette -26%, pace of play - 18%.

85% have called a penalty on yourself, 53% on someone else.

28% never take mulligans off first tee, 5% always off first tee, 4% take them at other points as well.

72% bet on the course.

Average play 15 holes with same ball before losing or exchanging it.

37% would ban slow players, 34% would ban cell phones, foul language - 13%, children - 8%, cigars - 4%, high handicappers - 2%, carts - 1%.

There were a lot more, but I thought these were the most interesting.

8. unpaintedhuffhines

I would ban women and people over 70 from playing

9. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I would ban you if you suck.

And by suck, I mean doing something like shooting a 94 at ColoVista.

10. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

I would ban ****** foursomes with their head so far up their *** they don't realize they need to let someone play through. I would also ban Club pros who drive by and ask how slow the pace is and then drive off without doing anything about it.

hook'em

11. ornjblud

ornjblud 25+ Posts

12. unpaintedhuffhines

so that's what I ended up with, huh. geezus. I stopped really keeping track after the 11th hole.

for the record, and to save the slightest bit of face, I haven't shot a round in the 90's (tournament or not) in about 8 years. That was deplorable.

oh, and I didn't tell anyone your date stood you up on Saturday night, why'd you have to mention the 94?
    [​IMG]

13. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

That survey by golf magazine also said:

8% of golfers have had sex on the golf course. That figure jumps to 18% if you only consider low-handicappers.

Which is obviously why my best score in 2 rounds at colovista was 96 -- I don't take the wife out to the course enough.

14. Nacho

Nacho 100+ Posts

played Colovista this morning. front nine 42 (with 3 ******* 3 putts) and a 50fucking3 on the back. i think i threw my back out in the process.

why is that course always so muddy and wet?

15. unpaintedhuffhines

the river around the course, Brazos?, is over capacity and the ground is saturated from the rains a while back. When we played out there 2 weeks ago it hadn't rained in about a month, but was still soggy. ******* annoying at best.

16. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Huffhines - you actually ended up in a tie for first in the guest player pool. You lost in the scorecard playoff.

And my date stood me up Friday night. *****.

17. ornjblud

ornjblud 25+ Posts

It's the Colorado river.

Oh, and that area is generally pretty sandy so I'm suprised it's still soggy. It seems like it would have drained by now, unless they recently got some really heavy rain that Austin didn't.

18. produceguy

produceguy First Time Poster

Just played forest creek yesterday and it was in beautiful shape, great fairways, tough rough, and some of the best greens I've played all season.

19. unpaintedhuffhines

ok, I recovered from my disastrous round last weekend and shot a 79 at Star Ranch yesterday in some pretty tough wind. No 3 putts, 9 bogeys, 1 birdie, 9 pars. Nearly missed 3 other birdies and lipped out a couple par putts.

I feel better now

Course still in good shape sans a few areas in the fairways that are getting re-sodded.

20. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

79 for 19 holes? That's really impressive [​IMG]

21. unpaintedhuffhines

22. Nacho

Nacho 100+ Posts

there's such a thing as an edit feature, post *****.

23. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Advantage, NACHO!

24. unpaintedhuffhines

dude, I've been posting on this GD site for over 2 years and just recently passed 2000 posts. This makes the fact that scally has over 10000 posts that more disturbing.

I'm trying to get to 2500 before the season starts, so I'll take them where I can get them, hence this post.

25. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Will 2500 posts fill the void left in you when the good golf left?

26. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

The double team continues!

hook'em

27. SkippyJack

SkippyJack < 25 Posts

This thread is allsome.

28. unpaintedhuffhines

I have no idea why I did this, but I played Blackhawk yesterday. I figured the course would be wide open, which it was. I played 18 in about 115 minutes.

Anyway, I had some time to kill yesterday so I went out there, knowing the previous posts about the course were saying not to play. I figured it would be in better shape.

Well, it's not. RIP Blackhawk.

my god what a horrible course this has become.

29. srr50

srr50 25+ Posts

RIP Blackhawk indeed.

I remember when it opened -- it was a big deal, one of the first of these public courses with housing built around it. They had a grand opening and the celebrity group to play the first round included Pete Rose, Joe DiMaggio, and Willie Mays!

Started with bent grass greens, and lots of optimism, and now, well I played Morris Williams the other day and it is in so much better shape than Blackhawk that it is not even funny.

30. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

God I loved Blackhawk. Even after they burned out the bent grass - and make no mistake, it wasn't the heat, it was their own stupid fault for not balancing the ph-levels in the water before they soaked the greens - I used to play there at least once a month. Hell, one winter in college, I bought the all-you-can-play-for-four-months package, and took them to the cleaners.

It saddens me to see it gone to ****. I hold hope that some day, it can be revived. One reason for optimism - even Riverside GC was brought back from total **** and made into a fine course. Hopefully someone will do the same for BH.