Punt Protection

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OrangeShogun, Sep 16, 2018.

1. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

WTF? The roughing the punter call vs. USC could/should have been a blocked punt. Very concerned that this continues to be an issue. Appears that pressure is leaking through from multiple gaps every punt. Are the opponents bringing max pressure or do we have a blocking scheme problem?

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I see the punter being too slow, or not knowing when to speed it up when there is heavy pressure.

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

They need to take a long look at that position, both blocking and punting. TCU will block a punt next week, unless adjustments are made.

4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yup, very noticeable there are problems with the punting formation and blocking scheme. I too fear Patterson will exploit that weakness and have a formation to block at least one punt on Sat.

5. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I recorded the TCU-Ohio State game and watched it last night. We got trouble.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and Texas will have trouble the game after that and the game after that until it is fixed.
    Some of the problem is the punter seems to be scatter-gun punting. Sometimes veers left; sometimes veers right; and sometimes doesn't veer at all. Not a problem if he tells the team which way he is going to go. However he he doesn't tell them they have to guess which side gets the added help. For example, on one punt Saturday night he veered right - right into a USC rusher. The right back was looking to help on the left side.

7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The entire punt game needs to be blown up and started over from scratch. I am not opposed to the Aussie-style kickers as long as they can KICK. The problem is we have one that CAN'T.

There are too many of his that are listed/labeled as shanks that were not really shanked. They were not off the side of his foot. Instead, he was simply turned sideways and the ball came off the foot in the same manner as a traditional punter.

What we have is simply not working. There HAS to be SOMEONE on campus that can punt and CONSISTENTLY get the ball at least 40 yards from the line of scrimmage (more would be better but 40 would be a marked improvement over what we have seen in three games thus far this season).

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Did Dicker the Kicker punt at LT? Not the best idea to expose your kicker to punt duties, but cluster that had been the punt team has to be corrected quickly.

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

The assumption is that the rugby roll punts aren't called plays. I would think that's a pre-snap determination. So he starts rolling right into a rush because that's the play call and the blockers don't execute.

10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I know we have all tried to forgot the Strong years, but Michael Dickson was TERRIBLE his first year like this guy. I am not ready to abandon this punter yet. However, I dont understand why we cant just redshirt the aussie punters until they are ready rather than suffer a year of terrible punting while they learn.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

After showing near block by SC in end zone, TH assured us and Lyle G. on LHN that : there are young guys on punt team and there will be special emphasis on on getting blocking on punt team fixed.

We will see.