Purchasing shake coupons to fight Diabetes

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by A. BETTIK, Jun 23, 2010.

1. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

A local Austin restaurant franchise has started selling $1 books of four coupons for large sugar content small shakes claiming the money will go to help fight Diabetes.

Of course I bought one, this is a Great Deal, for fighting diseases and stuff. As I waited for my food, a larger older gentleman ordered one of these shakes as well. The bubbly teen brace faced Latina behind the counter cheerfully offered to sell one of these books to the gentleman and he readily obliged her.

Later as I was wrapping up lunch with my younger kid watching a World cup game, an older lady arrived at my table and gushed she had an extra coupon and wondered if I wanted it. I whipped out my booklet and politely declined her kind offer.

I opened the booklet and read that I must present one and only one coupon before ordering per visit. Suddenly my Great Deal became a good deal. I then thought about the four visits I would have to make to take advantage of this prepurchase deal and optimistically saw myself coming the next four days straight.

Reality soaked in on this deal and I realized said restaurant chain would be milking a gusher if I did that and so I thought about maybe once a week.

About that time my younger kid chimed in she wanted a $4 snow cone from across the street. I wondered if they sell coupons with a percentage going to Dental research to fight cavities.

And now as I write this, I can't seem to find that coupon book to fact check my claims for this Folly, oh well, I guess some deals are just too good to be true.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

3. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

What am I missing here? I assume the shakes cost more than $1, so you saved money right regardless of how many more you use, correct?

4. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

Are the coupons only good for super-sugar shakes or can they also be redemed for shards-o-glass pops? [​IMG]

5. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

6. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

Wendy's is selling a coupon book for $1 in which you get four free small Frosties. The money goes to fight juvenile diabetes. As ridiculous as it is, you still get four Frosties for a buck.

7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

8. LongLiveBevo

LongLiveBevo 250+ Posts

While this deal seems ironic, it is a misconception that we can't have sugar. We can eat anything we want, especially type 1's ("juvenile") and even more especially if you're on an insulin pump. Sugar is just another carb and carbs are what raise your blood sugar. A shake is actually better (or less bad) for us than french fries. If you're on a pump you just dose to cover the carbs.