Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Follow the bouncing ball:

Educrats: The sky is falling the sky is falling, we're doomed, fire him

Lawyers: Can't do it, that means admitting guilt and subjecting the school to investigation

Educrats: What do we do, the death penalty is looming on the horizon

Lawyers: Put him on administrative leave with pay. Conduct an "independent investigation" which clears him. To show remorse, Urban makes a $500,000 donation to a women's group.

Educrats: Will that work?

Lwayers: Only if you get off your dead *** and raise the $500,000.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I guess I'm just not understanding that law because that happened between husband and wife not coach or player and another faculty or student. Because he happens to be an employee of OSU seems inconsequential to me. What if it were a professor and wife? The same rules apply under Title IX?

Edit: I'm not defending the action to not disclose just curious about how this ties together.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

1) what new allegation? I only saw the accusation of abuse to his wife. I didnt even see that he was convicted yet.
    2) why is the school responsible when one of its employees abused his wife? My employer wouldn't be required to do anything if I abused my wife.
    3) I suppose from a PR perspective that's true assuming the guy is convicted.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Dion, how soon can we get the superduper like button up and running?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

From my mini research, Head Coach wife is a nurse, employed by the university, knew of the domestic violence, did not report it to officials, violation of law, not just ethics

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Maybe Meyer's wife thinks that the Smiths can work things out. Maybe urban wasn't sure if Mrs. Smith was honest. He's just a head coach doing his thing. Shouldn't this be a police matter. I guess a head coach has to make sure everything is going well on all fronts including private lives.

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Is your employer a school? Is Title IX part of your policies and procedures?

Duty to report is built in to many types of industries... Schools, medicine, government. OSU is 2 of those, probably 3 if I look up connections to hospitals or medical schools. It's nothing new. Title IX makes it stricter.

Conviction happens later. Going through the appropriate reporting procedures is essential. I'm not saying the assistant should be fired. Just that the head coach needed to go through appropriate channels to report.

8. LonghornCatholic

Interesting to see if Urban's gameplay is to deny and say his wife never told him.

Doesn't seem to be direct proof, so won't be surprised if he survives.

We'll see if OSU has the nuggets to cut him loose.

9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Sounds like it was reported to the police and the lady decided to not press charges. Why then would Urban be required to report it after it's already been reported to the police? There seems to be a lot of assumptions here and it would be sad to me for anyone to lose their job over assumptions if no real proof is provided. This seems to me like an organization being afraid of the mob mentality.

• Like Like x 1
  10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I believe I am hearing that it's in his contract to report any thing like this that can stain the school or program.
    And he shouldn't want someone directing his athletes that may be capable of beating his wife while their children are holding onto her legs.
    Meyer also publicly stated he knew nothing of the 2015 incident.
    Now the alleged victim has supplied texts with Meyers wife concerning the incident that include graphic photos of the alleged assault.
    So, now it looks as though he is lying and covering up. (I already consider him a lying sack of ****.)

Could this in any way spill over onto Herman?
    He was there.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Other than not spreading rumors at a press conference I still dont see what he did wrong. A domestic violence situation between husband and wife was reported to the police but no charges were filed. Now we're firing another employee because we know his wife knew? How ******* absurd is that?

Please spare me the "this accused abuser is coaching my kid" b.s. if there is proof he ever abused any kid please supply it.

I'm tired of everyone jumping to conclusions and firing people on circumstantial evidence because everyone is scared shitless that the media may run with it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He would not have been spreading anything.
    The incident had already been brought to light.
    He was asked if he was aware of it.
    He said no.
    I think he was lying.

Dan

13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Meyer was aware of domestic violence in this relationship at Florida and brought the coach with him anyway.
    Any semblance of this continuing at OSU should have been dealt with.
    Even if it was just texts and pictures on his wife's phone.
    Many abuse victims file and recant charges.
    This is not a one time thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Nothing in the McMurphy article shows that.
    All we have is:
    1. Texts with Meyer’s wife in 2015.
    2. Texts with another woman saying that Meyer had asked Zach, Zach denied it and Meyer did not know what to think. (Also we have no way of knowing if what this woman said is accurate).

If someone recants, then there is not much to do without video of the assault or eyewitnesses. Again, photos of her injuries only prove injuries, not the cause.

As stated in the other thread, there is not anything for any employer to do if the police try to get her to file charges and she refuses.

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. LonghornCatholic

Urban fired him for apparently no reason other than he knew the story was about to hit Twitterville USA. Why fire a dude for an incident that occurred in 09 and basically resolved? I’ll let OSU decide if they want to fire him, but awfully curious that he says he had no knowledge of most recent beat down but by the way, You Fired! before he claims knowledge.

17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Okay Meyer knew something, but what did he know? Regardless, this was already reported to the police and she declined to file charges.

18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I hope that Zach and his wife find a peaceful place in their lives and I know where they can:
    Through the prince of peace Jesus Christ the Creator.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. LonghornCatholic

20. Vol Horn 4 Life

This is another thing thats interesting. It happened at Florida but tosu is going to fire him.

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you have ever been to Florence, it is a long way from Waco but a much better place.

• Like Like x 2
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Issue not being addressed (at least I haven't seen it), if Meyer knew about the issues in Gainesville, why did he hire him from (Pitt ???) to join him at Ohio State>

23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I've been to Florence on multiple occasions. Nice city, but there are many other places in Italy I would rather be. I'm a country boy at heart, so the smaller cities (San Gimignano, Verona, Montepulciano, etc) appeal to me far more than Florence, Rome, and Venice.

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anywhere north of Rome is 100% better than Rome and south.

25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Let me go on the record, since my first post did not make it crystal clear...

Florence may not be my favorite spot in Italy, but I agree wholeheartedly with the original assertion that it is a much better place than Waco.

• Like Like x 2
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

This I agree with. It's become a travesty of trial by media backlash.

That is separate from a head coach being required to report potential situations to the appropriate school authorities.

Firing true innocents to avoid PR issues sucks. There is still a required process of reporting potential situations up the chain of command. And when football program people are pairing her not to press charges on top of not reporting, that's not the way Meyer is supposed to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

ALL places I have been domestic and foreign are much better places than Waco... with the exception of Bryan- College Station and Juarez Mexico!!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  28. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Juarez used to be better, not so much anymore though...

• Like Like x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Worster,

I'm sorry you didn't get to make the trip to Columbus in 2005.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts