Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Perhaps some messaging here

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am happy with the news that Moore received referred adjudication. I think that was the perfect ruling. It was just a dumb mistake on his part. The good thing about this is he may have been going down an ugly dark road. Perhaps the light bulb turned on and now he has a second chance to follow a more Noble path. I wish him well. Tom was right to be patient.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm curious if this means that Moore will start carrying a C0ck around?

6. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Huh?

7. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

He meant Clocks, not Glocks.

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Excuse me?

9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He could also be referring to the anti- Open Carry people. The counter protesters had a bunch of dildos on campus instead of guns.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

11. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Lol, I thought everyone would get that reference.

12. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

You talking bout this??
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BurntOrangeLH

That's true. Got to love a girl that packs a dildo, or at least respect her.

14. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Does the deferment include any stipulations/requirements on necessary #of TDs scored in '20-21 for fulfillment?
    ...Should have made it incentive-laden.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is CJ Vogel on what has to improve --

Area 1: Sacks
    2019 Ranking: 69th
    It was more than common to see complaints about a lack of pressure generated from the defensive line in 2019. For a unit with as a much talent on it as last year, the amount of frustration was justified seemingly every week.

Texas finished with the season with 27 sacks. Though with nine sacks coming in the final two games of the season, when a scheme change was quite evident, the ranking is more than misleading. Texas averaged just 1.55 sacks per game in Big 12 play, a number that cannot be repeated in 2020 if Texas is looking to make the leap.

In games where the Longhorns had 3 or more sacks, they were 4-1. Only loss being to LSU.

In games where the Longhorns recorded 2 or fewer sacks, they were 4-4.

Area 2: Punt Returning
    2019 Ranking: 48th
    Again, another statistical ranking that doesn’t scream the level of mediocrity that was on display week in and week out last season. The punt return game in 2019 was atrocious. Texas finished ranked 48th with an average return of 9.12 yards per return (17 returns for 155 yards).

Entering the ninth game of the season, Texas ranked dead last in punt return yards with –12 yards on the season. Of the 155 total yards on the season, 55 of them came on a return by Brandon Jones against Kansas State and 71 of them came against Utah on a return by D’Shawn Jamison.

The remaining 15 punt returns averaged a return of 1.93 yards. An appalling number considering the level of athletes thrown back to return.

Area 3: 4th Down Conversions
    2019 Ranking: 118th
    Texas’ success on fourth down attempts has had a tumultuous ride so far under the Tom Herman regime.

2017: 82nd (46%)
    2018: 2nd (80%)
    2019: 118th (37%)
    Last season, the Longhorns were 7/19 on fourth down conversion attempts, many of which were the result of questionable play calls from Herman’s “4th down binder” or just dreadful execution.

Of course the two most notable 4th down blunders came on the goal line in the first half of the LSU* game where the Longhorns had first and goal from inside the five yard line and failed to record a single point.

I am more than supportive of the idea to go for it on fourth down, though the play calling decisions must improve.

Open Post | Tuesday, March 3rd - The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition

*I should be bald now given the amount of hair I was pulling out on those 4th downs against LSU

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm going to go with these areas.

1. QB pressure - Sacks are the ultimate goal, but pressure is something that should happen every time the QB drops back to pass. We need pressure from the front 4 not just because of blitzing.

2. 3 and out. We were terrible at getting our defense off the field, i think if we get more of #1 it will lead to more of #2.

3. Punt returns - Can't say enough how we need improvement in this area.

4. Down Field blocking - I think our Rbs could have had many more long runs if we got the down field blocking from receivers and TEs.

5. Completions over the middle - This is both on Sam and the OC to utilize the center off the field.

6. Tackling Tackling Tackling - No reason for us to be poor tacklers, this is a matter of Texas coaching emphasizing this in practice. Perfect practice makes perfect play.

17. BurntOrangeLH

I think all of the WR not named Epps blocked pretty well this season. Even Burt got after it. It is kind of contagious when the second group sees CJ, Duvernay and Eagles get after it.

In the Alamo Bowl, Woodard stood out, and even Epps sealed the edge for Keontay's last TD run. Not so much a block but a strategic positioning so the defender had to go around him, which the defender did not. Sometimes that is all it takes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

hmmm. am i wrong that average is average? and that being average screams average?

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Dead last thru 9g is definitely less than average
    Entering the ninth game of the season, Texas ranked dead last in punt return yards with –12 yards on the season

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Probably a little distorted though as my mind seems to remember only 1 return which was dropped resulting in the 12 yrd loss. I wish we would had the ultimate fair catch unless no one is within 50 yards of you policy back in 1984.

In contrast the 4th down stat is distorted due to being reckless in going for 4ths that should've been FG attempts and stupid play calling on some of the others. Being ultra conservative on punt returns yet a river boat gambler on 4th downs doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, but TH has been a college FB head coach a lot longer than me.

21. BurntOrangeLH

Seems like completed fair catches should not count in return statistics since no return is attempted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i'm just saying it's a bit cherry picking to take out their good games. had the good games been at the front of the season, they'd never have been that low through 9 games.

It's fair to say we sucked WAY TOO OFTEN.

24. BurntOrangeLH

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not to go West Mall, but Tuberville is a good man, as well as really good coach, who by a sequence of strange occurrences, wound up in three of the worst jobs in the history of NCAA D-1, all through no fault of his own, but strangely because of politics beyond his control and not of his making.

I have nothing bad to say about Sessions.

26. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I think fair catches should count, because they are de facto a missed opportunity. It's up to the 10 guys not fielding the ball to create an opportunity for a return. A fair catch means they didn't do that, and it should be reflected in the stats.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Can you be out of school for spring semesters and play in the fall semesters?

29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Apparently. I think Fall semester is key, don’t you think?

30. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We really weren't. Fans just have a distorted or one-sided option of what a gamble is. Taking 3 when you could have 7 is also a gamble. The issue is not if you will gamble, but which gamble will you take. Generally, looking at thousands of games, the evidence is strong that most coaches punt or kick FGs far too often.

• Agree Agree x 1