Random Season News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 11, 2018.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Who knew Mack could Break Dance?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Indeed, and why I always didn't want 6 or 8 or 12 or 64 team playoff. But all the "it's not fair!!!" types plus, and more importantly, $$$ from more games, won in the end.

4. LonghornCatholic

I would be good with 6 teams, 2 getting a first round bye. Twelve is nuts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  5. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I would prefer a 30 team playoff with two division champions and two byes for the top division.
    That way the have nots will get a shot at being a champion and many of the lesser schools will have something to play for.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Pom desires to kill college football.

Are you really Donna Lopiano?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Can you imagine the excitement of college football when many teams have a chance to be a champion instead of a few, the usual suspects. I guess you can't.
    And it wouldn't kill college football but enhance it.
    Sure it's non-traditional but so what.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  8. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Mack gonna throw out a hip if this keeps up!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I remember SMU being the only undefeated team in the country and playing Dan Marino & Pitt in the Cotton Bowl before a whopping 20,000 people. Schools like USC & UCLA can't sell 50% of their games.

Yes I can imagine getting excited about South Carolina/Rutgers or Syrexcuse/Oregon State when they are playing in front of crowds that don't come close to Duncanville/North Shore.

Imagine the dinner conversation in Iowa: "Ethel, the corn crop has been pretty good, what do you say we mosey over Boulder and watch the Hawks take on the Buffs? Well, yes, we could wait a week because if they win, we could go to Columbus. They will like my polyester slacks and Banlon shirts over there."

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Maybe txhorn
    But his team clearly loved it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Every team has a chance at the start of the season. Most of them lose that chance by losing multiple games. College football is exciting even though <gasp> teams lose every week.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

DON’T LOOK ETHYL!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Hey, they only have to charge $48,978 per ticket to make this a great revenue generator.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

& the B1G says, "Oops".

• Like Like x 1
  16. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Whatever it takes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

So, how many teams should make the playoffs? Four is not enough. I would have been happy with 8 and I'm not sure why they chose 12. There are teams each year who have great seasons but don't get the top rankings because of lack of publicity, or lack of competition. An expanded playoff will give those teams a chance to perform.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think 6 but could go with 8. Imo 12 is over played, don’t like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Ok but will any Pac 10=12 team be competitive this year. probably not
    Frankly at this point GT and Clemson both look bad.
    6 to 8 seems ok but jeez.

21. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Untrue. For example, Central Florida in 2017, Boise State in 2006 and 2009, TCU in 2010, and Utah in 2004 were eliminated before playing a single game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

And most 3 and 2 star teams.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you watched ESPN/ABC over the weekend, you would have heard the playoffs are already fixed: 1) Bama; 2) tOSU; 3) Georgia ; 4) Clemson.

Why not just take their money and call it a season now?

26. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I like seeing Mack have fun with the game

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. LonghornCatholic

29. Duck Dodgers

With the LA market gone from the Pac whatever, and the AZ's, Utahs', and Wash State potentially up for grabs, I think the B12 could make them an offer and they'd be very interested, specially Arizona to be in what would be a very good BB school with KU, Baylor, UH, ISU.

Would be a hoot to see the B12 do fine, while the PAC collapses and leaves just Berkely, Oregon, Wash, and Stanford left, as no way they'd join those "land locked" schools. If Stanford only has 3 other schools to play against in their 145 women's sports, can they still win the Sears Trophy every year?

30. Duck Dodgers

As they should have been.

What's hard about winning all but 0 or 1 games in a P5 conference isn't just the one game against a top ranked team, it's the constant beating your players get week in and out, against top quality players, even if their team isn't that great.

Too easy for teams like those above to hang out in a weak conference that doesn't have the players that P5 teams do, go undefeated, then maybe sneak in a win at the end to claim the title. Like BYU did in 84.

I thought 4 teams were plenty for the playoffs, now we'll have ones with at least 2, maybe 3 losses going in, with a corresponding reducing in importance in the regular season.

Between player free agency with the Portal, salaries and signing bonuses via being able to do endorsement and vacuum up booster money, and a too long season, college football is slumping into NFL level of excitement, which to me anyway is ZZZZ.

• Agree Agree x 1