Random West Mall Postings

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Dec 14, 2023.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Between Amarillo and Fort Worth, you drive through Quanah (named after Parker kid who was kidnapped by Comanches). Two things to note: only 10 miles from the red river and Highway 6 goes through it (yes the highway that starts in Texas City and goes through collie station). Similarly 183 goes north to Vernon, starting from Refugio.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Why bust Jacksboro's or Hico's chops?

3. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

I prefer the desert oasis’s and little known swimming holes. So although I love Big Bend NP and have hiked it throughout over the last 55 years, I much prefer the Guadalupe Mountains National Park, where I’ve been hiking since ‘67.

If approaching from Interstate 10 then one shouldn’t miss the Devils River State Park near Sonora. Crystal clear with springs in the desert.

Then there’s Independence Creek Preserve…sometimes open to public..a Nature Conservancy Property north of Sanderson.

Floating the Rio Grande can be difficult with low flow..but it’s a Texan’s Bucketlist trip. Also soak in the hot springs with the Rio Grande at your elbow near the Cottonwood campgrounds in Big Bend.

When visiting the Guadalupe Mountains National Park go the the Rattlesnake Springs New Mexico, Sitting Bull Falls New Mexico, and Last Chance Canyon near Queen, New Mexico. These three places allow dogs, have crystal clear water, you rarely see anybody and aren’t within, but near the Guadalupe Mountains NP.

There are other top secret swimming places within the Guadalupes Mountains National Park that I cannot share on social media…but would share in person at the Gage Hotel Bar, to a like- minded Hornfan...it’s a 6 hour hike in and an 3 hour hike out.

The Guadalupe Mountains National Park is the prettiest and most spectacular place in Texas. It’s one of the least visited National Parks due to its remote location and lack of interior roads..it’s a backpacker’s park.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow comer, wish I’d heard of this 50 years ago. My go-to for backpacking while young enough in El Paso was the Gila Wilderness in NM. It also was serene with very minimal guests. Still haunts my fondest memories today. Trout on the fire at night was delicious and the canyon dwellings throughout were inspirational.

5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ahhhh, another joy of NM.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They are better than Waco.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If you have to take a piss real bad and need to get gas, stop at the Allsups, fuel up, then go behind the store and piss on the wall. You won't get sticky piss-floor residue, and other nasty who-knows-what, all over the soles of your shoes that way.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Not to nitpick (that's strictly forbidden on Hornfans.com of course), but..............

it was Quanah's mother, Cynthia Parker, who was kidnapped by the Comanches. Cynthia Parker was his mother, and I think Nocona (the dude with cool boots made with high insteps) was his father. Quanah was a half-breed who became the greatest War Chief the Southern Plains had probably ever seen. The Comanches were ridiculously fierce and effective at war--they pushed the frontier back East 200 miles. None of this peaceful Indians living in harmony junk with them. After Quanah gave it up, he went into business and became a big rancher and railroad owner. The war with the Comanches was won by killing off the buffalo. Quanah came out of Palo Duro Canyon and surrendered so they didn't all starve.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Jacksboro - nice looking terrain. Almost hill-countryish in parts.

Hico - actually a rather nice small town with a bunch of ******** rumors floating around about a pie shop in town with owners who think they're cute by spelling things wrong. Probably not the actual "retirement" hometown of Billy the Kid, but some people think he settled there.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You're in Marathon?

George Zupp -- fantastic artist now based in Marathon. Mostly unknown outside Austin/San Marcos, and I guess now West Texas esp. Marathon. His stuff is too weird and bizarre for the tastes of most people, but he'll probably go down as one of the greats of this generation long after he dies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  11. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

Yes I know George well.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Same here. He had a phase right after college where his art mostly focused on chickens. Not everyone appreciates his work, but if he ever gets "discovered", he'll be big time. Great guy. One of the handful of free individuals I've ever met. Genius runs in his family---his late father was a rocket scientist who solved the problem of pogo oscillation in liquid propellant rockets.

And unlike most artists, his political views range several notches to the right of even the posters on these Hornfans boards... There are some excellent artists in Texas that the high-art gatekeepers in New York may never get to know.

13. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

His nickname is Chicken George as you probably know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Who would want a drugged vagrant pooping on the floor of your vacation home?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This speaks to the creditworthiness of the homeless folks, not the supply of homes. Bassackwards.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If you are going to poop on the streets, maybe you deserve to live outdoors like the family dog.

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This is an interesting point. I'd agree that cities need to have plentiful clean public restrooms available--I'm talking Buccee's level clean. Then these unfortunate folks wouldn't piss and poop on the streets.

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I bet many still would.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 Hook'em

To SN's point look at so many employee complaints in places where homeless are allowed to use public restrooms
    Feces urine needles on the floor
    Broken towels and toliet paper dispensers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Are we still talking about Allsups?

:beertoast:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

3 middle schoolers charged with hate crimes after displaying swastikas: Officials

"Three middle schoolers from southern Maryland have been charged with hate crimes after they displayed swastikas, performed Nazi salutes and made derogatory remarks about a classmate’s religion, according to county prosecutors.

Officials with the Calvert County State’s Attorney’s Office said the harassment began in December and the students refused to stop despite repeated requests. The victim ultimately reported the behavior to Maryland State Police, which investigated and filed charges against the students."

“Maryland was founded on the principle of religious toleration,” State’s Attorney Robert Harvey said in a statement. “It is frankly astonishing that nearly 400 years later some people continue to persecute others based upon their religion.”

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This isn't new news, but the Jackson Walker Law Firm (big 500+ lawyer outfit, largely in Texas) is in some hot water stemming from representing a corporate debtor in chapter 11 while one of its female lawyers on the case was having a relationship with (and even living with) the bankruptcy judge at the time, a situation which they did not disclose. (Of course, the Judge didn't disclose it either). The Judge has since resigned from the bench.

They may have to disgorge many $ millions in fees, and more. Also, certain parties and persons of interest in the bankruptcy case are apparently pursuing civil RICO claims against the law firm. The firm is claiming the female lawyer lied about her relationship with the Judge to the firm. Famous defense lawyer Rusty Hardin is defending the firm.

Soap opera stuff on the bench.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litig...-with-texas-judge-us-trustee-says-2024-03-01/

Jackson Walker May Have Violated Ethics Rules by Not Disclosing Partner’s Relationship With Judge | The American Lawyer

Jackson Walker Offers 2021 Memo as Proof Partner Lied About Relationship with Bankruptcy Judge - The Texas Lawbook

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

"Young lady, come to my chambers for a conference..."
    (Former Judge, UH law guy)

(she's a grad of Baylor law school)
    [​IMG]