Rangers raise their prices

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by hookemcmw, Jan 14, 2008.

1. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

I keep getting emails and phone calls essentially begging me to renew my "mini plan" from last year from Rangers ticket personnel. They have raised their prices, but does anyone here for a second believe it would be worth paying money? Are they not going to be as bad as last year if not worse?

The sad thing is Rangers again raised their prices and for what? They wont sign big names because their price is too high. While I agree that a lot of players are being signed to outrageous contracts given their age or track record (i.e. Gary Matthews Jr, Adam Eaton, Mark DeRosa, etc) lately, why would Rangers' fans shell out more money to see a team that wont spend more money to be exciting?

2. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

Unfortunately, they won't be any worse than the A's this year.

3. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

Not renewing mine either. I'm fed up with Hicks and Daniels.
    They were supposed to use the money left over from getting rid of Tex to go after some high profile FA's. They did nothing but raise prices. Screw them.
    I'll go to a game or two, but only if I get free tickets or get access to a suite.

4. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

Not only Tex, but they also got rid of the remaining money they owed ARod (not sure of the exact money but somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 more years at 4 million per)

Thats alot of money to get off the payroll and who did we sign with this money?

Chris Shelton (he was good for one month of his career)
    Jamey Wright (he is terrible)
    Eddie Guardado (he is old)
    Kazuo Fukumori (has never pitched in the MLB, so ?)
    Ben Broussard (is ok)

Not any big names there to get excited about

5. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

Usually, a team raises prices when a team is good or improving. Apparently, getting rid of A-Rod's old contract is "improving."

6. Fight For Texas

Fight For Texas < 25 Posts

Who did you want them to sign this off-season? They made a good run at Hunter but came up short. Would you have given Hunter that contract LAA gave him?

7. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

8. txlonghorn47

txlonghorn47 < 25 Posts

I too am done paying to get into games out there.

I haven't renewed my mini plan the last 2 years and have had no problem telling them why every time they call me asking me to do so.

My Dad is buying me and my brothers tickets to the 3 Atlanta, our favorite team as kids growing up in NC, games in June but other than that I don't plan to walk through the gate

9. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

1. It would be stupid IMO to pay for a high $ FA if you have a better than 50% of not making the playoffs. This is the case for the Rangers. Even if we made the playoffs, I just don't see the Rangers having a shot to advance but baseball is a funny sport
    2. I agree that no FA pitcher is going to want to come here. We need to grow them or trade for them.

I'm on board that the "every FA is too expensive" line is getting old. What should they do? Blow money on 32 year old OFs like Hunter who had his best year offensively ever at something like .280/30/90? His defense, while still good, is declining with age.

That said, I'm one of the most pessimistic Ranger fans out there but I am giving them a pass because we are more than a year or two away from a big time FA making a difference.

You guys have the right idea, voice your opinion by not renewing. Go to a game or two per year and wait till it's worth it again.

10. wmdffl

wmdffl < 25 Posts

Rangers in the World Series in 2010

11. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

12. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

I'm going to 3 games this year unless I get free tickets. And those 3 games are against the Red Sox! I've been a huge Red Sox fan since 97 because of all these reasons. The Rangers front office is plain stupid.

13. txfight84

txfight84 100+ Posts

not only did I renew my mini plan package with the Rangers, but i increased it to a half-season package. I have always, and will always be a rangers fan and I live about 10 min from the stadium so i go to about 40-50 games a year...i cannot wait for april 8th to get here...

14. Markstanco

Markstanco 100+ Posts

15. LonghornAnth

LonghornAnth 100+ Posts

You can still get upper level seats for around 5 dollars. If you really wanna go to the game for cheap, you still can. That is all..Go Rangers

16. BurntOrange03

BurntOrange03 100+ Posts

i swear some of you are insane

what do you want the rangers to do...?

theyre trying to build from the minors and they may have the 2nd best in the game

i guess you want them to just give it up for some old player who costs too much

good gosh, the rangers are lucky if you give them up...maybe the fan base can get smarter

its attitudes like that that made the rangers struggle year after year

you have to play smart in baseball now unless youre willing to have a 150M+ payroll like LA, NYY and Boston

if you arent willing to have that much money being wasted...its stupid to go after one or 2 players to make you a tiny bit better and a bunch older

work in the young guys and build the farm system

thats the right way to do it and the rangers are finally approaching it with this format

if you cant look a couple years into the future just go cheer for someone else...itll be better for everyone that way

17. ScratchHorn

ScratchHorn 25+ Posts

18. txlonghorn47

txlonghorn47 < 25 Posts

I agree with everything you said

BUT!!!

Do not raise ticket prices again for the 3rd straight year if that is your plan.

Do not charge people more and more every year for what has turned into a glorified minor league squad.