Real Estate licensing

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by dalhorn1, Jan 2, 2013.

1. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

One resolution i have for the year is to complete and obtain my real estate salesperson license, something that I've wanted to do for years in the off-chance that i entertain a career change down the road.

Any suggestions on which course to enroll in? So far, I've been recommeded Champions Real Estate and the UT Continuing Education division.

I plan on doing all of the coursework online, if that helps. An 8-6 workday plus traffic and baby at home is not conducive to hours spent in a classroom.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I don't have any specific information for you and you have likely already been to their website but I suggest the TREC, Texas Real Estate Commission. They have info, possibly generic, and things that may help you get a little further in the process. Perhaps a good outline and what to avoid. Still, a resource good to have on hand eventually. Hope it helps.

TREC, good luck.

3. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Yes, loop, I've already checked out the link to accredited course providers.

I'm simply wondering if anyone has a recommendation on which to use. I don't know if any companies have more user-friendly course design, any problems with logins, weird coursework issues, etc.

I've already got a broker lined up to sponsor me (mother-in-law), so I just need to plunk down the cost and get to working on it.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I sort of figured you'd been there so please don't take my post as snarky. Sometimes people miss the obvious so it was a just in case. I ride by that building pretty often so it was in my noggin. Good luck, make millions.

[​IMG]

5. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Not offended by your first reply, btw. Not even sure if RE is what I'd like to do, but having a license is a start at figuring things out.

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

An engineer buddy of mine who was working for Dupont on the East Coast decided he did not want to do that any longer. He went through the process of getting his RE license and shadowed an agent for awhile (it's prob not officially called that, haha). Everything was a go and he then went back to school and got into Med School. He's now practicing in Chicago. So you have some options, Doc.

7. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

dalhorn..Don't want to discourage you , but a baby at home is already a problem. If you aren't prepared to do RE 24/7 , you probably aren't going to be successful. I tried doing it semi-part-time and it just doesn't work.

8. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Yuma, I'm not discouraged by your comments at all. I am only wanting to obtain the license while I continue to work my corporate job, and have a broker (M-I-L) that will sponsor me, which is apparently required upon finishing the coursework and testing.
    Holding the license (if only an inactive status) can allow me to be my own agent when I sell my home in a couple of years if I so choose. And, if I ever decide to take a family friend up on an offer to switch over into commercial RE, then I'll already have the license on my resume.

I'm simply looking for input on which company/University has the most user-friendly program to navigate through coursework. Champions? UT online? Others?

9. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Hey Dalhorn1.... I my self did exactly what you are trying to do. But as others have mentioned... its tough if you don't devote full time to it. I have a full time job already and wanted my RE License because its something I wanted. If you are going to be sponsored by a broker, you will have to have an active license and you will probably have to join one of the Real Estate Boards in the Dallas area.

To be honest it's quite an expense because you have to pay annual dues to the realty board and pay to have access to the MLS listing service. Then there is the key system to get into houses.

Now to answer your main question... Where to get the courses? I did mine through the Austin Institute of Real Estate and it was 100% online so it worked best with my full time job schedule. The Texas Institute Of Real Estate is another one that offers online courses as well. I would recommend any of these to get your license. There are several others out there but these are the only two I have tried. Oh.. I highly recommend the test prep course once you have passed all your courses and prepare for the actual exam.