Report of Beck and Mehringer being fired too

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by George Bailey, Dec 1, 2019.

1. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

From the article:

Don’t be surprised if Graham Harrell, who served as offensive coordinator for three years at North Texas under Seth Littrell before taking over USC’s offense this season, emerges as a leading candidate to replace Beck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

I have to admit I know zero about Chris Ash. The last Ash at Texas left me kinda 'meh'.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Graham Harrell hated us; wouldn’t even shake hands at times. I guess a cool mil buys forgiveness.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Surprised to hear about Mehringer, thought he was our best recruiter.

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Rumors that he would bad mouth and undermine Herman. Players hated him, too. Supposedly...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  7. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Also he is not a pro spread offensive coach. I doubt he is a candidate.

8. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

A smart HC doesn't fire assistants unless they have their replacements under wraps.... Just like smart ADs don't make moves without having their guy in line.....

9. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

It is rare it's the coordinator's fault.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

By 'revolt' here, just to be clear, he means by the players
    Supposedly several of them threatened to portal themselves if he was retained
    In addition, they say he was bad mouthing Herman behind his back

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  11. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

According to the $9.95ers, Mehringer was doing some shady backstabbing stuff to the rest of the staff and Herman too. His players hated him, and were about to all leave if he was kept.

Now he might have been a good recruiter, he might have been a good coach, but it sounds like he was not a loyal assistant to the man that gave him his shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Wow, just wow!
    If true, which there seems to be a lot of smoke, this man is a real piece of work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not our program's first battle with a cancer, unfortunately won't be our last.

Hints were dropped on this board about problems in the locker room.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BurntOrangeLH

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This year, it became readily apparent that something was wrong with our WR coaching. We spent game-after-game watching our WRs just sort of hanging out, or continuing in their routes far away from Sam's direction, when Sam was scrambling--rather than coming back towards the QB or running to an open spot in the direction of the QB. The most likely explanation is our WR coaching was defective, not that our WRs are dumb, lazy, or don't want the ball. We're below the curve on WR releases as well. We have significantly better than average raw WR talent on the squad. We need good position coaching.

If he was the sort of guy that the players really hated, that makes it even worse. There's an appropriate balance between being way too much of a "player's coach" so they get soft and standards are not upheld on the one hand, and being a tyrant that everybody hates and nobody wants to play for on the other hand.

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Player revolt, huh? Sounds reminiscent of John Mackovic's tenure at U. of Arizona.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I remember some of this coming up with the transfer of Hemphill-Mapps, but his subsequent goofy behavior caused it all to be dismissed

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. BurntOrangeLH

Mehringer was the Rivals Assistant Coach Recruiting winner for 2018.

21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He's good. He coaches in defensive systems that are straightforward and based on assignments rather than athleticism. Think of Wisconsin or Ohio State. Rutgers was a poor spot to land because they suck, but he was well-liked in the Big Ten.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I don't know a lot about him, but I do know that I would trust the opinion of Bill Snyder. I still want Samples. If we kept our current makeup of having two WR coaches, I'd say that Coleman and Samples would be a heck of a duo.

23. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Ash ran some damn good defenses at tOSU, but that was against Big 10 offenses, I'm just not sure how successful he would be against Big 12 offenses. That is my only drawback. My first move would be for Dave Aranda to tell me no, and then the DC from Georgia, then I would give my offer to Ash.

24. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think you'd find that those Big Ten defenses would do pretty well against us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hell, some Southland Conference defenses would do pretty well against our play calling

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019