Restaurants I miss

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Crockett, Jul 5, 2010.

1. UT Fanatic

UT Fanatic 25+ Posts

Fandango's (Burnet & Anderson)--Worked there in high school. Delicious burgers & fajitas
    The Stallion--Good, cheap CFS
    Holiday House--Great burgers

2. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Oh yeah, Fandango's. When we were in high school, they always had cute hostesses from Anderson and McCallum. We'd go and order iced tea and eat chips and salsa for hours, chatting with the girls. Didn't even know they had food, couldn't afford it! [​IMG]

3. stina

stina 100+ Posts

I'd forgotten about Mad Dog and Beans. Ah memories. I know it isn't really a restaurant, but I miss Common Interest, when it was a piano bar. It moved and changed to kareoke. [​IMG]

4. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

About 22 years ago, I had a rooommate who had a huge dog--half Akita, half German Shepherd, and stood almost 30 inches at the shoulder. My roommate let Hank roam freely.

One day, Hank came home and there was a knock at the door a minute later. Some guy from Mad Dog & Beans had followed him home. He said they had been trying to find Hank's owner for weeks, because part of Hank's daily routine was to walk through Mad Dog's, grab a burger right off someone's table, and take off.

Primos were awesome.

5. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

The Common Interest was a cool place and one of it's owners was Jim Bertelsen...

6. E Man

E Man 100+ Posts

Dan McClusky's was a good steak place back in the old days.

Oh, and the Branding Iron was awesome.

7. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Remember all them cheap steak chains like Sizzler and Bonanza in the 70's?

Steak & Ale was a definite cut above, but less affordable for a broke-dick student

8. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

I had a friend who lived in a little apartment carved out of a big house on Whitis below Scottish Rite in the early 80s. We were there one day and decided to go get something to eat. We got in my car and starting driving and debating and thinking about where to go.

We kept debating as we passed MLK, going south on Guadalupe. We kept debating as we crossed the river on Congress Ave. Bridge. We kept debating to Oltorf and headed west. We kept debating on South Lamar, then headed west on Ben White, then 360 back across the river until we got on 2222 and decided we wanted to eat at Bonanza on Guadalupe.

9. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

Everyone has helped to bring back some great memories - Holiday House, Shakeys (went there on my 21st for that free gallon of beer), the Staillion, etc. I, too, lived at Holiday House for a couple of years before I got married.

For late, late night, don't forget Hill's Cafe on South Congress - open 24 hours, and a great place for coffee and anything else you wanted at 5 AM. Great steaks, pancakes, eggs, and lots of biscuits to help soak up the alcohol in your system.

What was the name of the hole-in-the wall chili and rice place on the drag, circa 1970, just up from the Varsity? "Chili 'n rice - most nice! "

And some that are still hanging on - the Hut, Dirtiy's, Jaime's, etc. will always have a place in my heart!

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

11. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I miss Castle Hill Cafe. Not a fan of Corozon, so wish they'd go back to the Castle Hill menu.

12. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

13. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

Louies 106.....I liked the escargot.

14. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

15. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

I missed escargot until I saw an episode of 1000 Ways to Die where a couple ate some raw snails and Cantonese bloodworms ate holes throughout their brains. Probably BS.

16. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

17. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

18. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

19. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I revisited this thread, and didn't recall seeing the Abbey Inn with the great Abbey Burger. Good beer and darts pub with a great burger, no blood worms, though.

20. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

I loved Abbey Inn.

My buddy and I were in there late one night and ordered a pitcher of beer, (circa Summer of 1980).

About two minutes later they came back and said they were closing early and we'd have to finish it or leave it.

We chose a third option which prevented us from ever returning.

I still had that pitcher until a couple of years ago. [​IMG]

21. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

How about this blast from the past?

I was surprised to see they still exist. I am sure the food sucked back then by todays standards but it made for some good childhood memories. My dad would always take me to the one off Cameron road every few weeks.

22. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

23. utstudboy

utstudboy 250+ Posts

There was a place on 5th or 6th called beans. They had a large can of beans on each table.

24. TornJock

TornJock 100+ Posts

All of the above + The Split Rail. Great chili cheese dog and entertainment by Blind George McLain on the piano. [​IMG]

25. e.c.horn

e.c.horn < 25 Posts

I lived in Austin from 63-65, when my dad was finishing his engineering degree; from 78-82 when I got my BS and again from 86 through 88 when I was in grad school. The two restaurants that were constant favorites of our family were the Night Hawk and El Patio. I visited Austin this summer with my Hoosier wife and my nine year old Daytona Beach born son and was thrilled to take them both to El Patio.

some of my personal favorites were the Stallion ( a waitress once chased me into the parking lot for leaving a two penny tip) and Conan's Pizza on the Drag.

26. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

not for the food, but Casa Bonita in Ft. Worth. There is still the original open in Denver I think.

27. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The Split Rail was great, an old fashioned drive in, but with an interior sit down area as well. Blind George played honky tonk style piano, and was highly entertaining, but the biggest stars at the Split Rail were none other than Frieda and the Firedogs, and you couldn't have a better time than attending one of their shows. And yes, they had a great Coney Island hot dog.

28. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

Well now I'm going to miss Mama Roux's. What a tragedy!

29. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"The Split Rail was great, an old fashioned drive in, but with an interior sit down area as well. the biggest stars at the Split Rail were none other than Frieda and the Firedogs,"

Showed up for the 9:00 show about 6:00 every Sunday. Chicken fried steak, lone star long necks and Marsha Ball and Bobby Earle.

30. BigboyDan

BigboyDan 25+ Posts

I went to UT in the mid-1970's.

Carmen’s La Tapatia on E. 7th
    Brown Bag BBQ on S. Lamar
    The Commodore Perry
    Shorty’s Lakeview Cafe
    The Plantation on 19th and Guadalupe
    Hank’s on Guadalupe
    The Twin Drive-in on Cameron and 183
    The Longhorn on Research at Anderson
    Violet Crown on Justin Lane
    Galloway’s Cafe on Congress
    Airport Haven on S. 183
    Lum’s Cafeteria
    Becks Pharmacy Soda Fountain on Burnet at 45th
    The Big Wheel in Oak Hill
    52 Flavors Ice Cream Store on corner of Barton Springs and South 1st
    B & K Burgers
    Jorges on 6th Street
    Jorge’s on Elmont
    The Pig Stand
    Caruso’s Italian on W. 6th
    Our Place Hamburgers on Rosewood
    The Maroon Mill on Rio Grande
    Sam Lung’s Chinese restaurant on Burnet
    Dobb’s House
    A&W Rootbeer on Burnet
    Chicken Shack
    Lenzo’s Italian on Burnet
    Youngbloods Fried Chicken
    Steak Island on Riverside
    Original McDonalds at Capital Plaza
    Bert's BBQ on MLK
    Kirschner’s Chicken
    Old Bossey Milk Stores
    Victor’s Italian Restaurant off Guadalupe
    Ballard's Drive-Ins
    Fritz Bar on Manor and East Ave
    Raw Deal on 6th at Sabine
    The Filling Station
    The Donut Shop on Lamar and 5th; Airport at 51th
    Big-Tex Sirloin House
    Bull Creek Lodge circa 1967-1970
    Mosley's Cafeteria on Burnet Road
    Rosie's Tamale House on 1st
    Granite Cafe
    Red Lion
    The Barn
    Convict Hill Restaurant
    Soap Creak Saloon
    Rome Inn
    Picadilly cafeteria downtown
    Christie’s Seafood
    Sid's
    Zider Zee on Burnet
    Holiday House Tarrytown
    The Pit BBQ #5 downtown
    Lock Stock & Barrel on Anderson
    El Matamoros
    The Stallion
    GM Steakhouse on the Drag
    2-J’s
    The Rainbow Inn on S. Lamar
    Terrace Restaurant
    Los Tres Bobos across from Seton
    Saturday's on Anderson
    Vikashmo’s
    Joes’ Pizza on W. 6th
    Les Amis
    Bevo’s
    Chambers on the Drag
    Salvation Sandwiches
    Sit ‘n Bull
    Cugini’s Truck Stop (chili and eggs)
    English’s Mercantile on the Drag
    Jerry Jacob’s BBQ
    The One Knite
    The Armadillo Beer Garden and Concert Hall
    Nothing Strikes Back
    Toad Hall on 6th St
    L’il Abners
    The Doll House (in the Sage parking lot)
    Alamo Hotel bar
    Lung’s Chinese Restaurant on Red River
    Luby’s on North Loop
    Wyatt’s Cafeteria on 38th at Guadalupe
    Mike and Charlie’s on 38th, near Seton
    Pelican’s Warf
    Spellmans
    Restaurant in the Villa Capri
    Copper Skillet
    The Silver Dollar
    Toddle House on Lamar
    Scampi’s Pizza on Lamar