Rick Barnes vs Dean Smith ???

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by jt09, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

What is the story behind the Rick Barnes/Dean Smith confrontation/animosity from RB's Celmson days?

Talking w/ some friends about the Clemson-UNC game and this came up. Although I vaguely remember it at happening, I don't recall any details.

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

They got into a shouting match during a game and Barnes had the "audacity" to stand up to Dean Smith, which apparently sent the NC faithful into a rage, because you don't dare stand up to Coach Smith.

It's not a big deal between the coaches because they've both talked about vacationing together during the past in the offseason.

3. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Yeah, I knew it was squashed a long time ago, I just couldn't remember exactly what it was that set the whole thing off.

Thanks!

4. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

Clemson played physical defense to make up for a lack of talent, like Texas did early in Barnes' career. During one UNC/Clemson game, Smith was yelling at Clemson players for what he believed to be overly physical defense. Barnes took offense to Smith talking to his players in such a way and let him know about it.

5. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

6. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

Here's an article:
    The Link