Right wing rednecks at CNN on Obamacare

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by 911_horn, Aug 10, 2009.

1. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

have an interesting list of 5 freedoms you would lose in the current health care bills. Oddly it seems to differ greatly from the manner in which Obama is presenting it to the public.

1. Freedom to choose what's in your plan
    2. Freedom to be rewarded for healthy living, or pay your real costs
    3. Freedom to choose high-deductible coverage
    4. Freedom to keep your existing plan
    5. Freedom to choose your doctors

5 freedoms you lose with obama care

2. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

So, is Obama clueless about what's in the bill, or is he just lying?

Seriously, is there another possibility?

3. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

6. Freedom to be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition.

4. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

Wait, am I supposed to have those five freedoms right now?

BTW, it's not a CNN piece; it's an op-ed in Fortune magazine.

5. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

No one has all these freedoms now under a private insurance plan.

What's your point?

6. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

7. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

8. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

9. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

10. skipperj

skipperj 100+ Posts

Yeah. I don't have a single option on my plan through work. "Here it is, here's what you pay. Opt in or out."

11. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

1. I have the freedom to put my own plan together directly through an insurance company at an exorbitant rate which lets be honest few can afford and allow get anything resembling "good" healthcare. Through my employer I can choose to enroll in the plan he put together or not, but I have no input into what is in that plan.

2. I have no idea what this means unless you are referring to life insurance, the smoker sitting next to me pays the same deductible I do.

3. Again, I can choose the structure of my payments only if I deal directly with the insurance company and lose a group rate. This is not a freedom, it is a burden.

4. Whether I keep my plan only in the enrollment period I am currently in. If my employer restructures the plan between enrollment periods (which he has) then I do not get to keep my plan. Furthermore, if I change jobs, keeping my insurance is not an option.

5. I have the freedom to choose my doctor as long as they are covered under the plan, which is the same as in the obama option. If I choose a doctor not covered under the plan I have to pay more, or in some cases all. Have hae read nothing in obama's plan to suggest this arrangement would be in any way altered from the current situation.

To suggest that I possess any of these freedoms without qualification is simply false. To suggest that I have some of these freedoms somewhat true, in as much as it is true that I have the freedom to exorcise them in the window and restricted form that they are available to me.

12. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

There's a whole world of supplemental options that can fill in the gaps in anyone's employer provided insurance. The only catch is, you have to pay the premiums. I guess that rubs people the wrong way.

13. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Hell, since I got laid off in November, I have had no health care coverage at all. Even with my new company there is none offered. Meh, **** happens.

I still abhor and utterly the government being involved at all.

15. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

What constitutes labeling the author of that article as a "right wing redneck"? [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

17. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

18. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

19. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

20. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

like the protester from the other day...the one that's now asking for donations because he has no insurance?

21. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

22. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

23. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

24. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

25. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

26. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

27. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

The GOP plan is as best as I can tell is pay into private insurance and watch the profits soar. The Bush years were very very good to the bottom line profit of the healthcare industry.

If you are unlucky enough to get really sick, or worse yet lose your job while sick...prepare for bankruptcy and hope the taxpayer funded system saves them in the end.

As long as you are reasonably healthy and employed by a large employer you have a pretty good chance of actually having "good" healthcare coverage. If not... you don't want to actually find out what you "think" you have...

28. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

29. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

30. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

No.

"Apolitical" in that these conversations occurred over the course of several years, and were in no way, shape or form a part of any discussion of "politics".

Rather, they were conversations about "what's it like to live here, compared to the other places you've lived.

People do still have conversations that don't involve Obama, Sarah Palin, Senator Sandford or George W. Bush, believe it or not.