Rivalries and MNCs

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ZenSip, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ZenSip

ZenSip 100+ Posts

Just a quick look at relationships between the two

1992 national champions Alabama won their rivalry game with Auburn.

1993 national champions Florida State won their rivalry game with Florida.

1994 national champions Nebraska won their rivalry game with Oklahoma.

1995 national champions Nebraska won their rivalry game with Oklahoma.

1996 national champions Florida won their rivalry game with Florida State.

1997 national champions Michigan won their rivalry game with tOSU.
    1997 national champions(espn) Nebraska won their rivalry game with Colorado.

1998 national champions Tennesse won their rivalry game with Alabama(and whoever else).

1999 national champions Florida State won their rivalry game with Florida.

2000 national champions Oklahoma won their rivalry game with Texas.

2001 national champions Miami won their rivalry game with Florida(and whoever else).

2002 national champions Ohio State won their rivalry game with Michigan.

2003 national champions LSU won their rivalry game with Ole Miss (or Ark.).
    2003 national champions USC(AP) won their rivalry game with UCLA .

2004 national champions USC won their rivalry game with UCLA.

2005 national champions Texas won their rivalry game with Oklahoma ( or A&M if you wish).

2006 national champions Forida won their rivalry game with Florida State.

2007 national champions LSU won their rivalry game with Ole Miss (but Lost to Ark in a rivalry in Last reg season game).

2008 national champions either Florida who won their rivalry game with Florida State or OU who ????.

SO until last year the previous 17 (or 19 depending upon your predilictiions) national champions had not lost a rivalry game.
    Is there a better explanation than bright shiny offenses leaving points like goat turds all over?

2. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Go gators!

3. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

1996 Florida lost to Florida State in the regular season, then they rematched and UF won for the title.

Also, this is pretty meaningless, since most MNCs are unbeaten and thus beat everyone.

4. wbutfan

wbutfan 250+ Posts

I don't know how accurate it is but I overheard an announcer on ESPN say that in the MNC that the number two team has beaten the number one time more often then not.

5. ZenSip

ZenSip 100+ Posts

Thanks TXSooner518...
    so previously, the only one of the MNC champions that had lost a rivalry game became champion by beating that same team in a rematch in a bowl game?
    What a stupid concept.

6. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

Woody and Bo must be rolling in their graves wondering if their rivalry will be next to be made meaningless.

7. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

8. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

USC has never lost to either Notre Dame or UCLA in a NC year. I thought about that when I see that Oklahoma might win the NC but lose to their big rival Texas.

It really wouldn't feel like a NC to me if we lose to ND. f**k that. I'd rather SC beat ND and lose the NC.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I totally understand that sentiment - since your team has more direct control over beating a rival than it does over where it gets voted.

10. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

11. Speedway

Speedway 250+ Posts

ZenSip,

Whereas Arkansas and Ole Miss of course are SEC conference games for LSU, I really think LSU fans would rather lose to the Hogs or the Rebels every year if at the same time LSU beat Alabama every year. An LSU head coach can pretty much keep his job forever as long as he beats Alabama on a regular basis.

Any Tigers out there care to comment on who is their big rivalry game???? Alabama vs Auburn is very much like TEXAS vs anm; but Alabama vs LSU is like TEXAS vs ou.