RNC Convention

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by WillUSAF, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

This video makes me sick. I might not have always agreed with Rand Paul on his policies and positions but the jackasses that were out there spewing their hate and violence at the people leaving the RNC are what's wrong with this country. I know Abbott has lost support of many on here but I think he is correct with this post.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

He is correct on this. Yes.

He has mismanaged COVID in Texas though. He locked down the state based on raising case reporting and % pos that was skewed by policy changes. Now as cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are all declining he was maintained lock downs with no communication about when he will lift them.

At the same time, a week or so ago, he went on a tour telling everyone to wear masks when in the back yard with your families. He is slowly moving to the side of the COVID hysterics. If he continues down this path to appease all the Progressives in Texas he will be primaried.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Folks trying to leave the event

[​IMG]

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Nothing quite like peaceably assembling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Rand Paul trying to navigate through some fiery but otherwise peaceful Biden voters

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Many of these thugs look like they are white and over 30. What is happening?

8. horninchicago

Of course, Democrats and Democrat supporters don't get this sort of abuse from the right. But, if they did, would the police and media just idly stand by while it happened? Why these people aren't arrested is beyond me.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Rand Paul says the mob threatened to kill him and his wife

Threatening government officials, such as a US Senator, is generally a felony under federal law
    18 U.S. Code § 875 - Interstate communications
    18 U.S. Code § 876 - Mailing threatening communications

Solid interview the whole way. Scary situation. The left sure likes beating Paul up, dont they?
    He makes some legal points here too. Too bad the FBI sucks *** these days

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is a piece from the Examiner -- "The Left still really, really hates Nick Sandmann"

“That smug privileged teenage boy who wore a MAGA hat while he mocked an Indigenous man in front of the Lincoln Memorial a few years ago is speaking at the RNC,” said AJ+ staffer Dena Takruri. “His name is Nicholas Sandmann and I don't give a flying f*** about hearing ‘his side of the story.’”

The Nation’s Elie Mystal said elsewhere, “I have things to say about Nick Sandman. I [bzzrt]. Look this kids needs to [bzzrt bzzrt] ow, OW. Okay, my lawyer shock collar is preventing me for Tweeting.”

Both the Washington Post and CNN have settled multimillion-dollar defamation lawsuits with Sandmann stemming from their faulty, slanderous coverage of his run-in with Phillips.

“Of course, they trotted out snotty, grievance poster child Nicholas Sandmann,” said HuffPost contributor Bryan Behar.

Northeastern School of Journalism professor Dan Kennedy meanwhile argued that news outlets were wrong to settle with the Covington graduate, writing, “Nick Sandmann is showing how harmful to the First Amendment it was for the Washington Post and other media to settle his frivolous lawsuit rather than fight.”

“Nicholas Sandmann said he was ‘cancelled’ while addressing the country on primetime TV in a coveted speaking slot during an event that only occurs every four years,” said Business Insider’s John Haltiwanger in an act of aggressively missing the point.

The Left still really, really hates Nick Sandmann

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

In case you missed it, there were two emotionally powerful speeches last night. Here is one. I am not sure I could have done this
    Can you imagine being married to a police officer these days with all the crazy Biden voters in the streets?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the other
    Doubt I could have got through this if it were me

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. horninchicago

And, apparently, she was accosted on the streets of DC last night after the convention ended.

• poop poop x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  14. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Lack of discipline and accountability as children. Everyone gets a trophy.

15. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

My son-in-law is a cop in Virginia. I worry about my daughter and granddaughter all the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I thought there were a lot of good speeches last night- these 2 were especially moving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

That's a bigger issue than the educational system, IMO. Parents think their babies are never wrong, and it extends well into adulthood. I have adult aged stepsons (into a 5 year marriage) a couple of them are supportive of the so called movement even tho my wife is a staunch conservative, has been a math teacher for 20+ years and doesn't take anybody's **** in the classroom

But her kids.. different story. She knows the flaws, tries to reason but to no avail. Eventually she provides excuses for their overall lack of responsibility in life

I see it in neighbor's kids as well. Their kids are in their 30s, living at home b/c they're underemployed, very little ambition. Tough love is lost on my generation as adults, something that I needed and succeeded b/c of it. My dad was fair, but stood by his principles and made you keep your word. My brother and I benefitted by it, the next generation has been robbed by our softness

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

One more thing about Kayla that her parent's didn't mention.
    There were other female hostages being held in the same area as Kayla who were not from the US. 2 of them had an extremely solid escape plan, and told Kayla about it. Evidently, she was sort of a beloved leader of the hostages, so she was invited to take part in the escape.
    Kayla refused to go with them, saying that since she was an American, and a high profile captive, ISIS might hunt much harder for the escapees and they would have a better chance without her.
    They did safely escape, and the courage and selflessness of Kayla has always stuck with me. They left out some details of what the ISIS men did to her, but it was a terribly brutal 18 months.
    At 25, to have the will to make that choice is beyond me.
    God bless her, and her family.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  19. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

I see it with my daughters friends. They are the same. I was a "tough" parent compared to her friends parents. She is now 26, married with their first baby, own their own home and a PhD candidate. She thanks me now that shes older and I'm happy I wasn't a complete whimp when it came to her. (Although I was a pushover sometimes...she is my baby :yes:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

And I would add Baby Boomers and Gen X are largely responsible. These generations benefitted from the 50's and 60's economic boom and were probably the 1st in the country to have a lot of disposable income. That income was used to spoil their kids and even a desire to keep up with the Joneses by showing off what their kids have. This is the result. Lazy, no discipline, no motivation, no work ethic, take rather than earn your keep, etc.

I have a host who's 58. She constantly complains her kids living at home running up the electrical bills, staying at home and collecting their unemployment checks because it's more profitable than working. Well she made them that way by thinking she was helping them out by giving them whatever they wanted when they were young. By thinking she was going to make life better for them she actually just made it worse. They think going to rallies is more important than being diligent and creating a successful career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

You just hope, somehow, some way, these misguided fools have an awakening. Personally I would like to see an aggressive police force send them a message. That is the only way to stop such behavior.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Only watched the last night, and except for Rudy, thought it was very well done. The R's have traditionally not been able to humanize the goals and ideas of the party, and tell a story. They did a wonderful job of that this year.

The visuals of the White House as the backdrop were stunning. Whoever set that up, with the lighting and placements did a fantastic job. Trumps speech was good - calm, careful, and in keeping with speaking in front of the White House as President.

Best line was to the effect of "How can a party lead a country they hate?" The speech, and convention as a whole, presented a stark contrast of a party that loves the country and wants to build it better, and a party that hates the country and wants to tear it down.

And the contrast between Trump in front of the White House, and perhaps the best fireworks show I've seen since the 86 Statue of Liberty show, with Trump 2020 in fireworks over the National Mall.

Now compare that with the truly, truly pathetic 6 family members throwing balloons and silly string for Slow Joe after his 18 minute ramble. It was exactly like you'd see a family do for old Grampa's 87th birthday party at the old folks home.

This election is like 88. Big early lead for a dull, boring Dem, then the conventions, and a big Republican win after the country really sees what they would be getting if they swapped parties out.

• Like Like x 1
  23. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I certainly hope you're right. The contrast between the two parties is very clearly defined - and that difference is what the GOP needs to pound - and pound - and pound some more - during the campaign.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some more polling, which was taken during the RNC, not after --

President Trump's support among black voters rose 9 percentage points amid the Republican National Convention, a new Hill-HarrisX poll finds.

Twenty-four percent of registered black voters in the Aug. 22-25 survey, which included the first two days of the convention, said they approve of the job Trump is doing as president, while 76 percent said they disapprove.

That is up 9 points from the previous survey conducted Aug. 8-11, where the President received 15 percent support among this group.

The survey found support among Hispanic voters also grew by 2 percentage points, from 30 percent in the last poll to 32 percent in this most recent survey.

[​IMG]

Poll: Trump approval rises among black, hispanic voters amid convention

• Like Like x 1
  25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Note I predicted 25% black vote for Trump a long time ago.

26. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I must have missed that chart...:thumbup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It was June 12, just seems like a longtime ago. LULZ.

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The Tea Party was called "terrorists" for far less.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He won't get 25 percent. The cultural pull of the Democratic Party that is powerfully reinforced in the media, popular culture, public schools, and black churches is too strong for any Republican to get that high in such a short period of time.

However, he doesn't have to get anywhere near that much. If he gets to 15, this thing is over. MI, PA, and WI comfortably go his way. He wins OH decisively. MN, NV, and possibly VA flip. He probably still loses the popular vote, but electorally, it's a big win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I am concerned the Dems will find ways to find enough ballots to win. Plans are no doubt already in place.

• Agree Agree x 1