Roe is dead

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ricky Williams' company, Highsman, is having a summer sale.
    Or so a friend told me.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

So just where is his company? Can’t sell it in Texas. Of course asking for the enlightenment, umm or for a friend whatever sounds better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 4
    • poop poop x 1
  4. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Sorry for getting us off track with football.

"But amid reports that far-right groups would be coming to protest, the district said the proposal would no longer be considered during Monday's meeting.

'The Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District Board of Education will postpone discussion of Board Agenda Item #12a regarding the Planned Parenthood clinic at John Glenn High School,' the district said in a statement.

"As a result, action will not be taken this evening during the regularly scheduled Board Meeting."'

What the article doesn't tell you is the board will vote in favor of it behind closed doors...

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Guy
    You got us back on track.
    Putting PPP inside taxpayer paid buildings should not be allowed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    I wonder if that means these medical students are dropping out of medical school in protest...
    :smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I'd be okay with kicked out of the med school.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

For walking out of a purely ceremonial address by someone who they don't want to hear from? They're not walking out of class. Talk about cancel culture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

For...

1) Hubris that people with zero days' worth of medical school and thus zero days' worth of medical working experience feel they know more than a doctor on a medical issue.
    2) Protesting in a public manner. Anyone who didn't want to hear from Dr. Collier could have easily skipped the entire program. Those should not punished.
    3) Inability to accept someone different than themselves. This doctor wasn't even giving a speech related to the topic on which they disagree. How can we trust the new medical school students will provide the same level of care to those different than them once they graduate?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Guy
    All good but #3? :trophy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

So cancel culture is good with you. Got it.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Come on. Students do stupid **** from time to time. They shouldn't be mollycoddled for it like administrations often do, but I wouldn't kick them out of school.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

we could only hope...

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Remember these are NOT 18 yo freshman.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's true. They're med students, but even they are fairly young and don't always have sound judgment. I don't have much room to judge. I was in law school on 9/11 starting my final year and was 25 (probably the same age as many of the med students). Had 9/11 not occurred, Janet Reno would have spoken at Baylor two days later. Several YCTers (myself included) were planning a pretty disruptive protest involving a fire truck. It would have been much worse than what these people did. It would have sucked to be kicked out of school because of it.

17. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Funny you should mention cancel culture with this topic as "students had previously attempted to pressure the administration to cancel the speech of Dr. Kristin Collier, a pro-life assistant professor of medicine at the university"

University of Michigan Medical Students Walk Out on Pro-Life Speaker at Initiation Ceremony | National Review

I provided a way to protest her (by not attending the event), yet somehow you call me the one in favor of cancel culture.

You (and the med school students!!) could just be nicer as ~25 year old adults. How the hell are these med school students going to survive if they end up in her class? Imagine the fainting if her final exam has this question:

True or false section
    "A fetus is a human being"

Only accepted answer on Dr. Collier's exam being True...

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Guy
    The Only one to comment on cancel culture was the okie.
    How many of them know what culture is?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Of course we could be nicer as 25 year olds. That isn't the point, but should one stupid thing done at 25 be a career destroyer (as getting kicked out of med school or law school would be)? I'm not saying nothing should be, but one act of poor judgment that doesn't hurt anybody shouldn't be.

To answer your question about what they'll do if they're in her class, how about if we decide that if that actually happens? If they truly can't pull their **** together in her class, then they flunk out, and the problem takes care of itself.

20. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Our liberal friends love telling us how there's consequences for our actions such as getting fired for voting for Trump so yes there can be consequences for liberals too! Career destroyed? One can apply to law or med school next year. In the mean time, get a job with that already earned undergraduate degree.

21. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The medical students could have made a bigger impression if they had attacked the school, broken a bunch of windows, assaulted the guards and chanted about how they were going to hang the speaker. That would have gained them some attention.

But they are a bunch of snowflakes so they just staged a walkout. Wusses.

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We're supposed to be better than that. I'm going to sympathize with cancellers who get hosed, but I'm not going to celebrate our advocate for it either.

If you're kicked out for misconduct, most likely you're not getting back in anytime soon. As a practical matter, it's career destroyer. Furthermore, you're going to be wiping your *** with tens of thousands of dollars. If it makes you feel righteous to cheer that on, that's fine, but we go easier on much worse conduct. If we're kicking these people out, we better hang the student who drives drunk and injures somebody.

23. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

John Hopkins or Harvard Medical School would take just a second to swoop in for a person UM kicked out for protesting a pro-lifer. We know why UM won't punish them - the media would have a field day, the admins would get canned, and the students would be readmitted by the new admins.

24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

That old Hippocratic Oath is difficult to uphold for them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's because of ideological politics and virtue signaling, not because it's generally easy to get back in after being labeled a troublemaker. If pro-life students walked out of a pro-abortion speech and got kicked out, they'd basically have academic cooties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

28. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yep, maybe it will send a message. Just like a message like bullets to the head of the first rioters after Floyd should have been sent.

30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

In my book, the rioters weren't just acting stupidly. They were hurting people and their property. A swift, severe ***-whipping on them would have made a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 3