Run the Fing ball.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hornpharmd, Oct 9, 2013.

1. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

that is how we beat OU. and blitz the crap out of their weak *** OL. leave one LB as a spy on bell and do not make stupid penalties.

texas can win this game. they just need to play like they did 2nd half of KSU.

2. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

I would be very surprised if the Horns can run the ball on ou. UT has an even weaker O line than OU. I hope it can be done, but I don't think UT can run the ball consistantly on anyone.

3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

4. REALBIGHORNFAN

REALBIGHORNFAN 250+ Posts

Won't happen. For 15 years, Stoops has put 8 or 9 in the box. Stoops makes the UT QB beat him. OU's strategy works unless the UT QB is named Major, Vince or Colt.

5. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

6. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

Couldn't agree with the OP more...OU has been susceptible to the run up the middle, and Texas has 3 backs and at least an experienced OL that could wear them down if our backs hang on to the ball and can pick up 4-6 yard chunks. It's not probable but definitely possible. On the other hand, allowing Case to throw 45 passes will no doubt result in turnovers, sacks and 3rd and long situations. Our only chance, at least offensively, is to line up and let our backs go to work.

Likely won't matter since our defense can't stop the run, but that's why they play the games. Hook 'em!

[​IMG]

7. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

hmm... I don't think our O-line is that great... OU typically comes into this game with more passion and effort. I think that is what wins the game. If our Offense comes in 3 and out ... trouble... if they do it in consecutive possessions... um... I think its over.

8. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

Realistically, ou should win. The sh#t eating sooners have a better football team. Any comparison of what they’ve accomplished on the field this season, versus what we’ve, um, accomplished on the field this season, suggests that Texas should lose by double digits & that’s probably what is going to happen. This does NOT mean we can’t win.
    The OP is right that we should run more frequently. Despite OL issues, we’re at our best in a running attack that sets up the rare screen or play-action pass. Sadly, Stoops is smart enough to know this. He’ll scheme to stop the run & force Case to throw, seeking the pick 6 or the stripped-ball fumble.
    Even though Stoops will load the box, I would still run. Just line up and fight. With our running backs, I think we can get ~4 yards per rush, even against 8-man fronts. Yes, we should expect quite a few disappointing 0-2 yard runs. Stay patient. JG will break one eventually.
    Another strategy might be to unleash Swoopes and run zone read. Ou will be less prepared for that. I don’t know if TS is ready, but I might try it. It’s hardly a panacea but it might throw them off balance for a series – maybe long enough for us to steal a TD.
    Of course, I do not expect our offense can amass 28 points utilizing the aforesaid grind-it-out, 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust-style attack. And I see no reason to believe we can hold ou under 28. So this might be written off as a risk-limiting strategy, the likely outcome of which is an 8-point defeat. To me, losing by 8-10 is better than losing by 20. I know that for most fans, loss = loss.
    If we avoid bone-headed errors, shorten the game, and keep it close, we create the possibility that one lucky play – a 100 yard kickoff return, a Diggs interception & runback -- might be enough to give us a late lead and, after we give up our requisite 4th quarter TD, we’d still have a SHOT to drive down for a game-winning score. It would be nice to have a shot.

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

In the Cowboys heydey, they would run or pass early depending on what the defense gave them. They ran late because they had imposed their will and taken over the game.

3.34 yards and a cloud of dust works. Three yards and a cloud of dust three times and it's time to punt.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tommy,

Depending on the interpretation of your opening line, it is correct and incorrect. OU is indeed a better "team". They are better prepared and better coached. They are far better conditioned. (you have to go to a Jenny Craig beginners class to find a group that isn't.) They will play with far more desire and hunger.

Texas is far more talented. This is the least talented OU team since John Blake. The only team in the Big XII with more talent than the Horns is Oklahoma State.

Our running backs, with the exception of DaJe, are soft and wouldn't run over the Porter Middle School 8th grade defense.

Again, I shall refer to comments from a conversation in August with a former National Championship HC. "Only Mike (Gundy) has more talent than Mack, but no one realizes how much he will miss his retired DC."

When I said I was sorry about OU losing their QB, "Doesn't matter. They have five and none are as good as Landry Jones and he wasn't worth a damn".

"Mack has it all aligned for this year. Soft schedule, soft conference, Oklahoma State in Austin, and the worst OU team in years. With a little help with Ohio State and Oregon, Mack can be in the BCSCG."

I would like to see some desire and hunger from this team, but I'll sit in 106 and watch without much expectations. I have NEVER left a game early and won't Saturday, but if this group quits again like they have all year, I have to ask myself why I'm not enjoying Glen Kusak's food or Momma's funnel cake at The Dock rather than sitting in the rain watching a bunch of spoiled, entitled players who seemingly could give a **** less.

11. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I think it is our only chance to keep it close. And close means 3 touchdowns...

12. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

I think you over-estimate Texas' talent. Name one 1st rounder on this team? How bout 2nd round? We ARE NOT a very talented football team right now.

13. REALBIGHORNFAN

REALBIGHORNFAN 250+ Posts

Sadly, I predict UT will go 3-and-out 5 times in the first half alone! First down: up the middle for no gain. Second down: sideways pass for 0-2 yards. 3rd down: McCoy runs for his life in the pocket, throws an incompletion 3 yards short of the sticks. This is and has been Mack's gameplan every year versus OU.

14. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

15. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

"Sadly, I predict UT will go 3-and-out 5 times in the first half alone! First down: up the middle for no gain. Second down: sideways pass for 0-2 yards. 3rd down: McCoy runs for his life in the pocket, throws an incompletion 3 yards short of the sticks. This is and has been Mack's gameplan every year versus OU."

THIS! [​IMG]

16. Texdoc

Texdoc 500+ Posts

If they ride J Gray, he will break some & eat up some time in the process.
    That is all....

HOOK 'EM,
    Texdoc [​IMG]

17. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Maybe we can go back to being a power running team... but just for the OU game [​IMG]

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

"Their running backs are over 6 ft. Our running backs are over 6 ft. He falls forward three times and all we have to do is gain four yards for a first down. The difference in the game is that our RBs never fell forward and theirs never fell backward" - Lou Holtz after losing to Texas in 1977.

19. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Put Overstreet in the gun and run the read until they stop it. Then let him throw out of the same set. What have we got to lose? Between Overstreet, Brown, Gray and Bergeron, surely we could generate some first downs and keep the ball away from our defense.

20. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

It'll be very obvious after the first couple possessions how this one will go. Stoops always goes for the early knockout against Mack. We need a 1st qtr touchdown, and no 1st qtr turnovers. OU can be had, i just hope it's the players and not the gameplan that determine our fate on Saturday.

21. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

This is the best defense we have faced so far by a longshot. Kansas State and Ole Miss aren't very good and their defenses will be giving up over 100 points combined vs. Bayor and Aggy this weekend.

If the OU defense shuts us down and creates short fields for Bell the rout will be on.

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

23. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

It was amazing to average 4-5 yards a run. Let's keep it up. That's the only way we stay in the games vs tech, Baylor, osu, and maybe even wva.

24. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

That was the game plan for the year, till we found that our defense would allow the other team to score every time. That was the difference today. If the D wouldn't put pressure on the offense to pass, we will run a lot and pass efficiently.