Russell Shepard and Garrett Gilbert

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by TexHorn06, Jan 19, 2008.

1. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

2. Rissin

Rissin < 25 Posts

Just curious, why didn't you post this in the other thread named Shepard and Gilbert videos?

3. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

Didn't see it Rissin, my bad, I should have.

4. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

Seems to me that Gilbert is a pure drop back passer.

Shepard looks more like a running back.
    He can throw alright on the run but not in the pocket.
    Does remind me of a QB we used to have but he left early.
    I don't know about Shepard right now.
    He might be better at reciever.

5. DKNYHORNS

DKNYHORNS First Time Poster

Thanks for the video. They are both exellent prospects. I hope we get both. I do have couple of concerns.

Gilbert: Travis seem to have excellent offensive line. I did not see Gilbert get any kind of pressure. I wonder how mobile he is... Seems to be great drop back passer with good vision and arm.

Shepard: Great runner!!!. I don't know about his pocket dicipline. On the video, rare times when he passed, he seems to run out. Couple of clips I saw where WR was breaking open with little patience by QB. That being said he seems to get more pressure than Gilbert.

I think Gilbert is little ahead at QB. But you can't teach speed etc.... DKNY

6. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

On the other thread I did an analysis of Shepard, Gilbert, Pachall, and Rollison. Gilbert is not overly fast but he can move some. He reminds me of Tony Romo in that he is not gonna be an amazing runner but he can move well enough to extend the play and every once in a while make a play with his feet. Shepard has good mechanics when he throws the ball and good footwork but is inaccurate at times but we should give him a shot to play QB and if it doesn't work than he can be a killer WR.

7. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Shepard is electric with the ball in his hands.

Gilbert is electric at getting the ball into the hands of other guys who are also electric.

Assuming one or the other become Longhorns, there will be a whole lot of electricity at DKR. Should both become Longhorns, it will be like the South Texas Nuclear Project. They would power the lights to the entire stadium.

8. 93ex

93ex 100+ Posts

Does anyone else think that Gilbert's throwing motion reminds them a little bot of Elway? He seems to put his whole body in it. Very good looking prospect.

9. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

10. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts