Sam Ehlinger

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stanhin, Sep 9, 2017.

1. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

For us unfortunates who only were able to listen to the game on the radio, how did our young QB "look"? Does he look like he could hang in there if he has to play v USC?

2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

If we run the back half as well against usc as we did today he will be okay. Defense has to show up of course that way he doesn't have to do too much on offense

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I thought he looked really good, but he had more protection than Shane did last week so it’s hard to make a comparison.

Even if Shane is physically ready next week I wonder who gets the start? Sam earned some opportunities I think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

He had all day to throw, and made some nice tosses, but also had times when he couldn't find anyone, or when he was off the mark on relatively easy throws. The offense started to look better in the third quarter, and I think he got more comfortable.

Ultimately, he's definitely not ready for a big-time starting role, and he shouldn't be expected to be at this point. I think he did a solid job of managing the game, he got away with a couple of throws that should have been picked, but I think it was a great experience for him and will pay off down the road.

• Like Like x 4
  5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I thought he had composure. He wasn't extremely accurate, but he seemed to make the right decisions much of the time.

I thought the coaches made sure that the offense depended on the run, which helps the quarterback.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

He looked good for a true freshman. He got better as the game went on.

I think a healthy Shane is still the way to go. Sam looks like he can take more punishment than Shane and is a better runner.

• Like Like x 4
  7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

This.
    Shane still gives us the best chance against USC.
    If healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

SE had a solid performance. Made good and quick decisions, ran when he had to but slide or hit the deck when he ran. His passes were better than Boo's, more on target. Granted, this was SJSU, but he got the reps needed. He'll do well if he gets the nod to start vs USC next week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

I'm only chiming in to agree with basically everything that's been said.

• Like Like x 1
  10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You can't be serious.
    He was luckier than good by not having two picks.
    He threw behind and in the ground in front of receivers.
    He got better as the game went on and was solid in managing what he had to, not turning the ball over and I will agree his legs and stature are better for running.
    He also had all day to survey the field while Shane ran for his life.
    But Shane played a better game in the losing effort.

• Like Like x 7
  11. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

He is a better broken play player, which with our OL is a plus. Shane would have taken some sacks today that Sam didn't. Also, while he threw a couple of bad throws, he also had some dropped. There was a decent crosswind on the field.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Moondog and I rarely see eye to eye, but I completely agree with him today. I do not know what game everyone was watching. I like Ehlinger and am pro Ehlinger (i think he can be great down the line), but he is not ready and should have redshirted if it was feasible. Hopefully he never plays again this year unless the second teamers are in for mop up duty. He looked like a true freshman not ready to play today.

• Like Like x 3
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think Shane could learn a lot from watching Sam more. Sam had 0 negative plays. Negative plays are drive killers. Sacks are worse than holding penalties because you go backwards and don't replay the down. I'm pro-Both, but Sam made a bigger impact on the game than his passer rating suggests.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's just wrong.
    I wondered about that, there were a couple of deep balls where it looked like he was either off target or the ball drifted. He had Collin Johnson on one ball down the sidelines (I think it was the one where we got the pass interference call) where Johnson was trying to get to the ball and it was about five yards wide of him, or if might have gone for 6.

15. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Shane stood in and got drilled early in the MD game, which may have led to his injury. When Sam (a true frosh in his first start) took off, he had open field and as you pointed out he got better as the game progressed. That's the key. No pics, or fumbles, he did have some bad passes which hit the turf, incomplete. As I said this was SJSU. I believe if he's healthy and Boo is still feeling the effects of the shoulder injury, Sam can get the job done. But it will take a team effort, not one guy. So, we'll see.

16. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Let the latest version of the UT QB controversy begin!

I love Shane but Sam impressed me a lot today... however, he is #2, a true frosh, AND was not facing MD... or USC. So, I will not suggest he start vs. The Trojans.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

My thoughts I think mirror Prodigal & Htown. OK for a freshman, but no where near ready for prime time. SJ defense was just horrible and will make a lot of QB's look good. Wide open receivers and all day to throw, yet some passes were still way off target. Not to mention his release is slower than Garrett Gilbert's. That's gonna be a a killer against a real defense.

Just like TH said, he's not ready yet. But I don't expect him to be. He really needed a RS, but unfortunately due to poor recruiting he didn't get that luxury.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Agree. If this was a real defense, he would have thrown a lot of interceptions and would not have been running quite as well today.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I don't agree his passes are better than Boo's. At first he was tentative but got better as the game went along. I do love his running for first downs. I feel confident in him coming off the bench.

20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I disagree with him redshirting. He needed to play. He needs experience. Let's not worry about the future lets get the w's now. I would like to see him get a t least two series a game and more if we have big leads. Back in the day just about every freshman redshirted. But its a different era. Redshirting was easy back then. I know Heard must have felt happy (or maybe sad cause he doesnt qb all the time). He didn't look sharp throwing the ball IMO. But it was good to see him produce.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  21. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I agree he needed to play and am glad Herman started him today. We have no QB depth so he absolutely needs experience and to be ready. Ideally, if we had depth at the position, I would liked to have seen him redshirt as he is not ready yet. I would play Heard before Ehlinger if Buechele cannot go next week.

• Like Like x 1
  22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I thought SE basically did fine but it is impossible to compare his performance today to that of SB last week. The opponent was SJSU and our OL completely dominated them. In fact, on many plays, Ehlinger had time to write a letter back there. Give Buechele that much time and watch what he does. Additionally we had a run game today although I completely disagree with featuring a journeyman RB like Porter. Makes no sense, but that's a topic for another string.

• Like Like x 1
  23. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

That's mostly true, but if a QB is completely immobile, no threat even to move the pocket, the rushers can tee off. That's what happens to Shane. If there is proved a threat to run, one guy lags back and they don't sell out. So, a better running QB makes the OL look better.

24. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

We have to go with Shane at USC, but the gap between these guys is already minimal.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Define "negative plays", because in my book, holding the ball too long causing you to miss a wide open receiver IS a negative play. Last week, we had numerous; today we added to that total.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I agree. His play was shaky. He did show composure and clearly isn't fazed easily.

27. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

He threw 2 balls that should have been intercepted. Good poise and decision making otherwise, IMO.

Did anyone else notice it was his first collegiate start and he's a true freshman? Anyone?

FWIW, the Texas Gameday crew unanimously said if Buechelle is healthy, he gets the start against USC.

• Like Like x 1
  28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Tackle for loss (sack), fumble, interception.

Today Sam's plays consisted of completed passes, runs for gain, incomplete passes.

I already said that his accuracy wasn't great, but he never created anything worse than "no gain." and that really made our drives more efficient and allowed us to keep running the ball. 2nd and 17 after a sack does not empower the running game.

He really did help our running game.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I really appreciated that mid 2q play on SJS' ~35. SE play action looks for Johnson? down the left sideline, even pumps it ... then dumps to Warren who left a crater on the 15 he got so much air.

• Like Like x 1
  30. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Not trying to knock Sam. He performed well.
    But it's pretty much accepted that he should have had two picks that went through the DBs hands.
    Like poker, sometimes better to be lucky.
    Also, our Oline manhandled SJSU and Sam was rarely really close to being sacked.
    Just the opposite in the Maryland game.
    And what really helped our running game was the defense showed up and we didn't fall behind by 21 points.
    Shane could have avoided the big sack but he was running for his life the whole game.

The games are not comparable.
    It would be cool if we could play them over and switch QBs but we can't.
    I still think Shane gives us the best chance against USC if healthy.
    I also think Sam will do big things for us in the future.

• Like Like x 5