Santos or Edmond

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by JohnnyBravo, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Think we will know the attitude the coaches are trying to create on the defense based on which one starts?

The pissed off dude that wants to knock heads off or the guy seeming to do a lot of trotting around??

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Johnny,

I could not disagree with you more. I guess I have missed something. I haven't seen Edmond exert the effort to "trot" anywhere. So much talent, so much potential, sooo disappointing.

Attitude, HUNGER, desire..

I actually got excited about Echols personal foul penalty. At least he was playing aggressive rather than going through the motions.

I know we were down by 19, but here was almost the entire fourth quarter left. We cause and recover a fumble. Usually there would be some celebration. Those guys showed all the emotion of a $20 Boys Town *****.

3. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

SANTOS! He may screw up, but he is screwing up at full speed.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yep. I'll take some Santos any day.

5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I don't know how or why Edmonds is on the depth chart. He seems to make the wrong reads and doesn't fly to the ball when he gets one right. Gimme SANTOS!

6. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Santos with out a question... Edmonds hasn't shown the heart or killer instinct that Santos does.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If Santos can indeed step up, Edmond has the physical talent to be moved to DE, where we have NO ONE. That will require coaching, an installation of desire and hunger. Hopefully a new defensive coaching staff can make that transition and turn Edmond into the player that he has the talent to become.

8. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

I remember being excited for Edmond 2 years ago while watching him blow up dudes on kick coverage. I wonder what happened to him.

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Pogo,

You are absolutely correct. I thought he was the answer and next "60". I think he got promoted and excelled in the advanced placement hand clapping classes.

10. Bluff Horn

Bluff Horn 250+ Posts

Santos.

Start benching starters.

Hicks and Jeffcoat need to stop talking and start knocking the **** out somebody

11. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The difference between the two is Santos is a player and Edmond only looks like he should be.

12. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

I believe Edmond is either too slow to play the position, is thinking too much (trying to avoid making a mistake) or is simply afraid of contact. He plays like he's hoping and praying the play goes the other way. I have never seen him take on a ball carrier head on, usually he's chasing from behind. Don't know why the coaches don't see this. It may be because coaches have overemphasized avoiding the ferocious hit penalties.

13. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

14. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

15. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

So basically, what I'm hearing everyone saying is,

if Santos starts, the coaches are looking to change the attitude and toughness of the team.

If we get Edmonds, then same ole' same ole'. Might as well write the season off.

...at least that is how I will be reading it.

16. puckhead

puckhead 100+ Posts

It was a gift that Echols didn't get a "running into the kicker" penalty the first time. The fact that a roughing the kicker penalty followed made me angry. Then to follow that up with a fair catch interference just blew my mind. [​IMG]

17. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

IIRC, Mack said at his Monday presser that the depth chart and starters haven't changed except for Daje's injury and possibly Ash, which means Edmonds instead of Santos at MLB. Don't know what it'll take for him to see what a slug SE is, as all the above show. Maybe Greg Robinson has better vision even at his age. Lord knows he has better football smarts.

18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Edmond was in on Hill's first two long runs. And he blew them tremendously by going for the non-ballcarrier on zone reads.

Santos was in for some of the later long runs, but he was mostly tired by then.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It's hard to say if the guy made the wrong move by going for the non-ballcarrier on the zone read. Maybe the offense made the read based on which guy he went for, or maybe the scheme was for one guy to just take one of the two threats out of the picture (like in the option where somebody needs to just take the pitch and then the QB is stuck keeping it).

20. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

geez, Edmond Starts, Same ole same old,

Can't wrap=up, can't get off of blocks.

Not much hope.... even though I expect we out athlete Ole Miss this game and knowing they have about 9 true freshman starting.

21. Esmack

Esmack 250+ Posts

Neither should start for Texas

22. Finger Likcin'

Finger Likcin' 250+ Posts

23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Saber, I agree with your assessment that perhaps Edmond should be moved to DE. It's worth a try. He is a bust at LB. Unless/until he displays some level of passion/anger, he will be a bust anywhere. What a waste.

I'll probably get crucified for this but, I would think about moving Jeffcoat to MLB. He has the physical skills and the mental makeup for the position. It think that it would be an interesting experiment. We have nothing to lose and we just might stumble into a formula that could make a difference.

Obviously, it's time to shake things up.

(Of course, we would still be stuck with arguably the worst head coach in the country...)

24. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

I can see Mack sticking up for guys like Edmond no matter what because he "doesn't want to destroy his confidence." The same reason he gave for not benching Garrett Gilbert after throwing 5 picks against Kansas State.

25. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

They are both too slow. Neither can reach the outside edge to cut off the runner at or near the line of scrimmage. When they do make tackles on the outside, it is 6 - 10 yards down field. You can't stop offenses very easily this way. The offset is these bruiser types can usually plug up the middle very well. BYU, and even Ole Miss to some degree, tore us upon the middle, too. Edmond and Santos need to be DEs.

26. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Santos can be a bruiser; a less-athletic Vacarro.

Edmond plays like he's afraid that he'll get bruised.

27. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

need to run more of a base 4 - 3 with a true middle linebacker like Santos. This hybrid 4-2-5 isn't working or what ever the hell they are trying to run.

28. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

speaking of slow. I don't see the Horns supposed "speed" being an advantage anywhere on the field.

29. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

30. The Gnome Man

The Gnome Man 250+ Posts

Edmond should be a paper weight.