Schaub to Houston/Carr gone

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ChrisforHeisman, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ChrisforHeisman

ChrisforHeisman 25+ Posts

Yes, I know this thread will devolve into 100 posts of bickering and bashing, but it's going to get posted anyway at some point. And while Carr isn't "officially" gone, it's pretty obvious that Schaub isn't the backup.
    The Link

According to Carr's brother, who posts on another site, the team most interested in making a deal for Carr is Oakland. We'll see what they give... if they give up their third rounder, that would almost be like regaining the second rounder they just traded, since it's #1 in the round.

2. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris 25+ Posts

Smartest move I have seen yet from the Texans braintrust. Schaub will be a significant upgrade over Carr.

To me, this makes the 8th pick more valuable...they can now trade down and possibly regain the 2nd they have to give up for Carr.

I'll be interested to see what the Texans get for Carr....

3. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

4. EllCee

EllCee 100+ Posts

The Texans are ******* stupid. The only reason people think Schaub is any good is because they are stuck in the leather-helmet days, and Schaub is a white-conventional QB stuck behind a "dumb black scrambling QB who can't pass".

Schaub is maybe worth a 4th or 5th rounder.

Fleeced.

And I am not a Cowboys fan nor a Texans hater (see below).

5. OT Special

OT Special 25+ Posts

6. AstroHorn2001

AstroHorn2001 25+ Posts

Schaub is no superstar, but this is undoubtedly a step in the right direction. Carr is obviously not the answer and a long-term investment in a shitbag like Brady Quinn would've been a disaster.

7. West Coast Horn

West Coast Horn 25+ Posts

Hou and Atl swap 1st rounders this year and Atl gets Houston's 2nd round pick this year and next.

Bascially

Houston receives:
    Matt Schaud
    Atl's number 1 this year

Atlanta gets:
    Houston's 1st this year
    2nd this year
    2nd next year

Bwahahaha! NFL aggy does it again

8. EllCee

EllCee 100+ Posts

9. ChrisforHeisman

You do realize that Houston and Atlanta's first rounders are almost the same (8 vs. 10)?

10. TigOl'Bitties

TigOl'Bitties 25+ Posts

Best decision they've ever made. My Texans angst just decreased quite a bit just by getting rid of that dork.

11. EllCee

EllCee 100+ Posts

12. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

13. taco

taco 250+ Posts

they gave up too much. 2 second rounders (this year and next)is too much for this team to give up with all their holes.
    I'm trying to be a fan, but they are making it damn near impossible

14. EllCee

EllCee 100+ Posts

Not really a Reggie Bush fan, he just plays for my team.

I probably wouldn't like him that much if he played for someone else.

But the people on here who refuse to admit his talent and that he was big time last year crack me up.

15. MasterShredder

MasterShredder 25+ Posts

Wow. This is just mind blowing. Forget that they passed on Vince. You are slightly upgrading at QB and moving 2 spots back in this years draft (close picks but still a gap) and giving up 2 2nd rounders? This team doesn't need to be giving up picks. They need to be adding picks. Unbelievable. Schaub will bust as a starter. He isn't much better than Carr, believe it or not.

16. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Matt Schaub ain't the answer. Then again, it depends on the question.

17. MasterShredder

MasterShredder 25+ Posts

Ok then, answer this one.

He played quarterback for Virginia in college, has 2 career starts in the NFL, has the same # of career touchdowns (6) as interceptions, has a career passer rating of less than 70, is rumored to be worth two 2nd round draft picks, and appears to be completely overvalued?

18. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

WHOOOOOOOOOP

wonder if he likes getting sacked?

19. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

West Coast Horn most likely got his info from here.

20. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

Y'all realize of course that Carr will now turn into a Joe Montana type of QB wherever he ends up no that he is away from the Texans.

21. mez2

mez2 100+ Posts

good thing they didnt draft VY. first carr, now schaub. who's next Shane Falco?

22. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

Y'all do realize that Carr is not gone? It's implied that he'll be release or traded but they could very well keep him at backup.

23. Go Trees

Go Trees 100+ Posts

That was too much to give up for Schaub.

I hope the Bears can fleece Carr out of the Texans. He may have issues but I'd take him over Grossman.

24. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

It could be a good move for the Texans but it is not a slam dunk by any means and not all the overwhelming for an organization that seemingly needs to make a large splash with its fan base

25. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Carr will probably go to the Pro Bowl in another uniform. I'd rather they keep him and let him compete for the job. Maybe that would light a fire under him. I don't see how Schaub will be any better. Carr has a better arm and athleticism. Neither one of them have shown any intangibles to this point.

26. hookemATL

hookemATL First Time Poster

While I definitely agree that the Texans needed to do something at QB, I think 2 second-rounders and swapping the firsts this year is way too much. Schaub is an unproven QB with little experience in any kind of pressure situation. I think this deal could end up working for the Houston but Schaub has to look good this season and give them a reasonable shot at the playoffs.

27. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

Oakland would be a good place for David Carr. He can go back to Bakersfield / Fresno area and feel the love, and maybe perform in a new situation... or keep getting sacked, which is highly likely with OAKs OL.

Interesting, at one point LOTS of people were raving about how much better Matt Schaub is than Michael Vick... now, people are saying he's a David Carr with no wins... i smell hate.

of course, ALL of this could have been avoided, so...

DAMN YOU, HOUSTON TEXANS! [​IMG]

28. ChrisforHeisman

So predictable. With very few exceptions (and as good as Vince was last year, his QB rating was under 70), rookie quarterbacks suck. It's simply a position you cant succeed in as a rookie. Take away Schaub's rookie numbers, and look at the last two years, and you'll see:

51-91, 703 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT, QB rating of about 90

Furthermore, if you break it down into games where Schaub actually saw significant time (more than 20 pass attempts), you'll see two games:

18-34, 298 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 112.1 rating (vs. Patriots)
    15-21, 175 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 92.4 rating (vs. Eagles)

Furthermore, he's excelled in practice, preseason, training camp and essentially every opportunity he's had to showcase himself. Scouts have viewed him as a starter for two years now. The most realistic comparison for Schaub is Matt Hasselbeck, in that both were preseason/practice/camp wonders who scouts viewed as starters but got extremely limited playing time based on the quarterback in front of them. That worked out well for Seattle, so hopefully it can work out for Houston.

That said, giving up the second second round pick is more than I expected. However, before I jump to conclusions, I'm willing to wait and see what they get for Carr... maybe the QB market in general is more of a seller's market than we had anticipated.

29. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

30. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Two high 2nd-rounders and a move down in the 1st for a decent backup QB. Great move for the Texans! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]