Scheffler No Longer Lacks Killer Instinct

Discussion in 'Golf' started by dukesteer, Aug 20, 2023.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Love Scottie. But watching him is painful. He might be the best golfer the planet right now, but he absolutely lacks the killer instinct gene.

In a pressure situation, he seems to consistently fail to perform. It’s painful to watch.

2. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Scottie needs to spend some of those millions on a Sports Psychologist. Maybe he and Jordan can get a 2 for 1 rate.

3. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Scottie is going through what every great golfer goes through. Just needs to keep on keeping on

Jordan worries me. JT carried him through the entire round vs hovland and Hatton. It's been a long time since he's been on his game

4. Horn2RunAgain

Scottie won last weekend. Hope he can carry that over to 2024 because he was ON

• Like Like x 1
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Was there a Putt-Putt tournament or something?

6. Horn2RunAgain

Hero world challenge in the bahamas. Pretty much everyone but Rahm and Rory played.

Scottie has put his game together again. Good to see

7. horninchicago

I was only kidding. I used to be a guy who had Golf Channel on all day most days. The Liv stuff and now the merger with them, I couldn't give a crap anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I'm glad Scottie won, but "pretty much everyone played"? It's a 20 player field. On the bright side, Jordan finished top 10. LOL.

9. horninchicago

I hear Rahm is running off to Liv after he bashed it for the last couple years. Always figured he was a POS and I was right. Not much reason to watch golf anymore.

10. Horn2RunAgain

Monaghan's June announcement changed everything, HIC. He asked the troops to rally around the cause, pga lawyers threw a glass of water in his face . Reality set in. $wins. Undefeated, untied, unscored upon. LIV and the Saudis will run things fully by 2026 regardless of who says what. Rahm saw the obvious

11. Horn2RunAgain

20 top players except for rory and Rahm. Probably one or 2 other top guns but mostly the best showed.

Late Fall tournament, I know. But scottie was awesome

12. horninchicago

Like I said. Golf is now unwatchable, just like every other pro sport.

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Time to move to the food channel to watch cooking contests?

14. horninchicago

Unwatchable.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bingo!!

16. horninchicago

Everyone knows they are full of crap when they talk about the love of the game. But golf is becoming boring like every other pro sport.

17. Horn2RunAgain

Yeah. Well. Like , that's your opinion, man. ....

:fiestanana:

• Hot Hot x 1
  18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes but is it unedible?

19. horninchicago

Inwatchable.

20. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I see what you did there. :smile1:

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Scottie doing pretty well!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Horn2RunAgain

Scottie in a dogfight, but just missed a 3 footer. Down by 2 to Hoffman in phx after 13. Hoffman is playing lights out, this is great to watch. Hoffman, Scottie, Taylor going at it

23. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

If Scottie can establish some positive consistency with the flat stick, I'll happily change this thread title to "Stone Cold Scottie F'n Scheffler".

24. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Oh wait, I didn't start this thread! :smile1:

25. Horn2RunAgain

Well.. we're waiting.
    :fiestanana:
    :hookem:

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Horn2RunAgain

Scottie toughs one out. Almost had to pull out friday and Saturday because of neck muscle issues, hangs in and comes from behind to take the "5th major" on the tour

Gritty performance on a tough course.

I sat out 3 weeks with a similar injury, came back for a week, and now haven't hit a ball since Tuesday because the neck issues returned. So I'm 100x of impressed

• Like Like x 1
  27. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

If I could, I would. :bevo:

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Imagine how good Scottie will be once he develops a killer instinct!

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Well, looks like we're back to Soggy Korn Flake Scottie Scheffler.

30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

There is an atypical nuance associated with Scottie’s psyche, and it’s probably why I made the observation about the killer instinct.

Scottie has repeatedly emphasized that golf doesn’t define him. It’s just something that he does, and he does it very well.

That’s an admirable and unique characteristic. No one should question his motives. I don’t. However, when compared to other great golfers, I believe that each was obsessed with winning. That certainly describes Tiger, the epitome of the killer instinct. It likely describes Jack and also probably every other golfer that made their mark in the biggest tournaments.

As a fan, I want to see Scottie dominate on the biggest stage, the Majors. It may not be what he wants, or what drives him.