Shaka

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by James Street, Mar 20, 2021.

1. James Street

James Street < 25 Posts

It’s been 10 years since he lucked into the Final Four. He has done nothing since. Nothing. Time to move on. If we don’t, it’s on Del Conte. This isn’t sweet clean TCU fun and pizzas for all the coeds. We are Texas. Get your **** together and get a coach who in here who can sack up and win some meaningful games

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ummmmmm.

Other than Texas State, TCU now has a reputation for being the biggest party (and drug) college in the State.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Allow me to introduce you to a fine Baptist institution of higher learning 100 miles north of Austin on I-35. They have had the worst drug problem for over thirty years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, the school we played tonight does not have that reputation (like TCU and Baylor now have). ACU still has a rep for being the most straight-laced, cleanest living school this side of Provo, Utah.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

your point?

6. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I think the body bag issue at Baylor is a bigger problem than anything else. But hey, that's just me (I have a long memory and I'm not as sweet as I used to be).

:texasflag:

• Hot Hot x 2
  7. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Well it seems like it is rime to say shaka needs to go chop. Seems like someone said this team would go deep. They did,deep into oblivion.

8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Good read here if you can stomach it. It certainly highlights the poor coaching and lack of strategy resulting in the long periods with no points. A Sr guard with 7 turnovers and -13 on the offensive boards against a team described by the commentators as the smallest in the tourney.:puke:
    How Texas lost its second-half lead against Abilene Christian (msn.com)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I think the TCU comment had to do with the fact TCU students don't care about athletics and are not rabid fans like Texas. Shaka has done way worse than Herman, needs to go today.

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

In the pantheon of recent Texas coaches Shaka is barely above Weltlich and clearly not even Tom Penders level, he isnt even in the same conversation as Barnes. He gets another year because there is just one year left on his contract and Texas is going to be terrible next year anyway so why not let him work out his contract so there is no buy out at all. That gives CDC a year to find someone and line them up to come in clean for new arena.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

I said that CDC would not fire Herman and I was wrong. I cant see him firing shaka after he won the big 12 tournament. I agree with fwhorn that we should just let him stay another year and just bite the bullet. He doesnt deserve a buyout.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

100% agree with this part!

13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

A lot of posters couldn't see Herman being fired after kicking CU's *** in the bowl game. Hmmmm.

• Like Like x 2
  14. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

News flash for all the different posts about drug school or party school. Does anyone really think that drugs are more prevalent at one school vs another. The answer is s big NO. Some may have had more publicity but its the same at virtually every single location. No one parties more or does more than any other school. Hopefully we can stay focused on UT. Yes I think Shaka is way overrated and his record proves it. No opinions, just look at the record. He is middle of the road at best. Yes he is enthusiastic and likeable but again this is UT and most people would like us to be better. Yes we won the conference tourney in a very weak basketball year. In fairness, Barnes team went down yesterday too but he has a much stronger record than our guy shaka. Kudos to ACU. They played as a team and actually ran an offense which is foreign in todays get behind the 3 line and jack it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

While there is some truth to this, good luck finding a keg party at BYU or Abilene Christian... When it comes to drinking, dancing, smoking, sex, drugs, and rock n roll, those two schools, at least, live apart from the rest of the college world. I personally prefer the more cosmopolitan (even Bohemian) atmosphere of UT for college, but more power to them. Clean living is a positive thing after all.

16. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

So is winning an NCAA tournament hoops game. We have forgotten the elation.

You are wrong about BYU. My sons lives in Salt Lake City. I would be willing to bet you can find a couple at ACU too. Again, the credible issue.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

BYU is #1 most sober college in the country:

Top 10 Most Sober Colleges | The Recovery Village Drug and Alcohol Rehab

article Medically Reviewed By Jenni Jacobsen, LCSW, LMFT (in other words, not just some anecdotal opinion!!!)

This comes as no surprise. "Brigham Young has earned the top sober school spot for 21 consecutive years." That would make for a reputation, I'd say... But some people ignore the obvious, and hurl insults on top of it, like a monkey slinging it's poo.

19. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

this thread is about the failures of Smart to coach and to occasionally win.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

As noted, if you really believe a school like ACU doesnt have drugs and parties, you are just delusional. I have a lot of friends that actually attended that school and like I said, its no different. Yes its a Christian school but its also 18-23 year old kids who are on their own for the first time. There is drugs, booze, sex just like everywhere else. The philosophy you state is very similar to the people who think their education at whatever college is superior. English 101 is the same at UT as it as at Houston Community college. Being a UT grad does carry some extra weight after college but knowledge is there for whomever wants to go get it. Same goes for extra curricular activities we are talking about.

• Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  21. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

quite aside from the fact that my team lost, I actually enjoyed watching that game. ACU looked like a bunch of red ants taking apart a scorpion. They just pressed and pressed and forced the Horns out of their game. And then hung around until the final round and landed a knockout punch. Sorry for the Horns but ACU got a deserved win and I was happy for them.

One thing people are missing on these posts is that ACU plays in a very competitive conference. Southland is no major but it has a bunch of teams with one or two very good players and a lot of capable support. And this team did not depend much on outside shooting, which was nice.

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

To me the proposition is quite simple: If we aspire to be a relevant national basketball program, SS must go, now. Another year of mediocrity or tournament failure is not consistent with the expectations of CDC and Longhorn Nation. Waiting another year would send the message that we’re really not serious about the program.

Shaka’s days should be numbered.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  23. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

The game last night was an absolute gut punch, even worse it was "an humiliating kick in the crotch." However, it is also what makes this tournament great. Would Texas beat ACU 9/10 games? I think the answer is yes, but unfortunately last night was that one game. So I feel no sense of humiliation like losing to KU in football as ACU earned their place in the tournament, but I feel depressed as I am confident that the best team did not win. Until this year have Shaka's teams been underwhelming? Yes. Was Texas deserving of a three seed this year and were they a really good team? Yes. Would I extend Shaka's contract today? No, that would be foolish, he has to win some NCAA tournament games. Would I fire Shaka today? No, that would be foolish, he just put together one the best teams in Texas basketball history. In my opinion, the great job he did this year affords him one more year, but make no mistake he absolutely must get to the sweet 16 next year or no contract renewal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, and I see Baylor is on the list too. See Sabre’s Post above. I can 2nd that too. Had a nephew that went there because it was a good Baptist environment. He transferred to TTU.

I realize you are trying to distract from the thread about another predictable annual collapse of our Shanka “coached”, very liberal use of the word, team.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Just a note that the "sober"/"Drug" comments come in two parts - (1) student body; (2) athletes. My comments were directed solely at the athletic departments.

Baylor will forever owe a debt of gratitude to Nebraska, because without the Children of the Corn, Baylor would have had the worst steroid problem in the country. In fairness, I am not aware of Nebraska killing any athlete with steroids, but then that's the kind of thing that is hushed up.

26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I think he's pretty good at occasionally winning lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Shaka is currently riding an 6 game losing stream in the NCAA tourney going back to his days at VCU.

28. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

All campuses have drugs/sex etc but it's not close to the same at every campus.

Waco has zero clubs, there's literally nothing to do in that godforsaken town.

Surely you would agree that with all that Austin has to offer, there's quite a bit more drugs and sex going on down here.

Hell Baylor doesn't even allow coed dorms and you can get expelled for sneaking into a woman's dorm room. At UT it's expected that guys are going to sleep around with multiple women in dorms within the first semester.

29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Baylor doesn't allow drugs or alcohol on campus, the latter being a real point of contention with me. No alcohol, so the fraternities and other groups go to out of town ranches for parties. (Bosque County, Marlin, Groesbeck, Mexia, Crawford, etc. Baylor refuses to release the number of students killed by DUIs coming back to Waco after a party. Prohibition didn't work, neither does Baylor's alcohol policy, which winds up with dead and crippled students, plus the ruined lives of the drivers. The former "president" of Baylor and I got into a heated exchange over this a few years back when he was being his usual arrogant/too cool to care self until I made it personal and reminded him about the impact it had on the family of one of his close friends.

As for the drugs, it is my assertion that those are primarily in the athletic department.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Txreds

Txreds 250+ Posts

Hopefully CDC doesn’t take as long with this as he did Herman. Recruiting is probably already taking a hit from what happened and we need to get moving on from this embarrassment.