Shooting

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by LikeMike, Jan 1, 2018.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

We rank 334 in Free Throw and 347 in 3-point shooting out of 351 NCAA teams. Kansas and TCU are in the top 15 in 3 point. Not exactly a winning combination for the home team. Our free throw shooting has been below the 200 level for, what, 10 years? And 3 point just about as bad. What is the deal? (I still believe that the practice courts at UT must not have hoops set to 10 feet)

I grew up playing before the 3. It has taken me a good long time to learn to play the modern game. Any coach who ignores it today will likely not last long.

2. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

damn, didn't know it was that bad

3. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Maybe the coaches should start looking here early for some shooters instead of looking for pure athletes. Maybe they could send a few of our current players there.

http://www.bperrymanshootingcamp.com/

4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Young hasn't been able to produce anything when he's going up against starters. Febres has been a real disappointment thus far. I hate saying to pull plugs on any experiments, but there's no way someone can be that bad for half of an entire season and just call it a slump.

• Like Like x 1
  5. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Jase had a breakout senior season in high school and on AAU circuit. I think he was a little over inflated coming out of recruiting. He's only a freshman though so let's give him some time.

JY isn't really a pure scorer, he's a facilitator. He can penetrate and kick out or draw down defenders because he's quick and slashes aggressively while protecting the ball. He goes to the basket hard and draws fouls, then shoots 86% FT. With Young, I look at what else he brings to the court like the 2nd lowest TO%, 2nd highest STL% and lowest number of personal fouls committed per 100 possessions. He does a lot of things well...shooting the ball isn't one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018