Should Connor, Malik skip the bowl?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

...if they're not coming back? I wouldn't blame them if they did.

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Before last night I would have been offended but no more.

• Like Like x 3
  3. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

I don't know why but I think Jefferson may come back ... just a feeling.

4. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I think they all either decide to come back and make this right, or they all go. Sr day and these guys laid an egg. No excuse for that abomination.

5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If they don't play then they should immediately lose any remaining scholarship money. They are here on a free ride to play football for this school and we all know it. The bowl game is part of the bargain.

• Like Like x 2
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Is Connor so good that without him last night our pathetic offense would have been even worse?

7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Now that is a good point hornin, I don't believe we would have. But it's because we were so pathetic, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. horn by commitee

horn by commitee 25+ Posts

100 % agree... and both walked off the field unhurt last night so both should be good to go. But then again we've had more practice injuries in the history of the NCAA!

9. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

For being two leaders on offense and defense, I find it interesting that one gets called for holding frequently at inopportune times and the other fails to make the big play on defense when we need it most. I think they need to go earn paychecks and if they feel that the bowl game is too dangerous then that's their agents' call and we'll get practice time and playing time from players who will be on the team in 2018.

10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I think a bowl win is important. For two players who have never played in a bowl game, I would think they would want to play in one. I don't care if it's not the Rose Bowl, they will have fun if they play

I hate this trend started by Fournette and McCaffrey

11. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Connor yes, Malik no. Unless Malik's family is very poor, he should come back and improve his draft status under Orlando. He remains all potential right now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

If they are going pro, they won't enroll in the spring anyway. They'll be getting ready for pro day so your point really isn't relevant.

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's relevant for the very reason that they are getting a free ride for the program not to abandon it. That's my opinion.

14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Well, I don't know about them, but I'm thinking seriously about skipping the bowl. Watching the horns certainly has not been good for my health this year.:whiteflag:

• Like Like x 1
  15. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

But you said they should lose their remaining scholorship. And they won't care. If I was a 1st round pick, I wouldn't play. Look what happened to the ND middle linebacker. He goes from a top 10 pick to a 2nd round pick and it takes him 2 years to play again. Way too much money on the line. There is no reason for a 1st round pick to play in a meaningless bowl. College football is just feeder to the NFL for the best of the best. Why we as fans think it's anything else is beyond me. Now to the other 95% of players, they are playing their last game and by all means should play.

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I get that, but why only the bowl? Other games were/are meaningless too.

17. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I don't give crap what Kiper,McShay,or some other lamebrain who registers a domain name says. By the nature of the position Williams should still go 1st round but no way top 10. Jefferson maybe mid-2nd but I don't take him before early 3rd. NFL teams don't care about "We're Texas". But both are justified in leaving. And i don't care about the bowl. In fact i'm caring less and less every year.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

My original comment indicated that they are here for football only which is in contrast to the idea that I might have thought they are here for anything else. I know they won't care. But if there was anything to take away, I'd do it. Besides, what did we gain by their presence? Nothing but a new coach who has along way to go. I understand the dollars at stake but I also understand the world in which people do these things and I don't have to like it.

19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not if you're not gonna line up and run right behind him inside the 1.

• Like Like x 1
  20. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

That won’t hurt them they will just sign with an agent and get a loan from them until the contract is done.

I could see Williams doing it coming back from injury already, but he has proved he can play and should be 100 percent or pretty close to it so the scouts shouldn’t worry and his health just a risk vs reward thing I guess.

Malik doesn’t strike me as that type I think he plays

21. Horngal12

Horngal12 100+ Posts

I am not sure either of them will leave but they need to weigh what's best for the team versus what's best for them. I think they will both play.