Should I drop Bank of America for Wachovia?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by longhrnfan, Feb 5, 2007.

1. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

I dislike BoA. Any experiences with Wachovia?

2. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

you should drop BoA in favor of stuffing money under your matress.

3. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

I cannot say enough goos things are BofA. it's all about what type of account you have and what you deposit.

4. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

In general, if you are a high-value client with a multitude of services, BofA does a pretty solid job and covers a wide range of products.

If you just want checking, savings, or simple stuff like that they are horrible.

5. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

yeah I'm simple.

I need bill pay. I keep a few thousand in there at a time, but I just feel like any time I want to do something as simple as get a cashier's check, they are miserably ineffecient.
    Any why should I have to pay for that?

6. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

i have a very simple credit card/checking/savings with BoA and i have zero problem what so ever. all in all, with the keep the change matching for the first 3 months, im quite happy with boa.

7. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

I have wells fargo w/ bill pay (I don't think that costs me anything extra, but I'm not sure). I pay $5 a month and have unlimited money orders, bank checks and cashier checks. Other than their stupid overdraft policy (they just have fees... no small credit line or anything), I've been pretty satisfied with them in Austin.

8. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

That is much the same as the proverb of choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea.

9. veggieboy

veggieboy 500+ Posts

BofA's bill pay (I believe) is rated as one of the best out there.

Also, as mentioned, the best checking account deal going, imo, is the Keep The Change. They take your debit card purchases and round them up to the next dollar, depositing that into your checking account.

They will also match it for the first 3 months.

Their website is easy to use, and checkcard/debit card purchases post pretty much instantaneously.

It's a good deal, imo...

10. oak forest horn

oak forest horn 100+ Posts

B of A at one point had my credit card, mortgage, auto loan, checking, savings, and IRA. Over 2.5 years time they lost them all. The rates were too one sided and even though I was a "premier customer" I was nickered and dime to death. They would always refund the fees, but I hate having to look over my shoulder to make sure they weren’t making a mistake again.
    One the positive side, they are truly a national bank. They are the only bank I have found so far that has locations on the east coast, west coast and everywhere in between. Their bill pay is great

11. DMLonghorn

DMLonghorn 100+ Posts

just thank god you aren't having to deal with personal banking in the UK. It is an absolute nightmare, whatever bank you are with.

12. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

We did exactly what you are asking about. BofA never sent us debit cards or checks in the 2 months we had our account open, then when we went to close the account they left .01 in the account so we ended up with a negative balance after a few months. They then sent us a letter threatening to turn us into a collection agency if we didn't pay the balance.

Never have had a problem with Wachovia, by the way.

13. taco

taco 250+ Posts

just like Oak forest. I used to have everything with them and now nothing. got sick of the nickel and diming, I don't pay attention to that stuff so when they keep trying to sneak things in and change stuff it finally got too much.
    Swtched to Wells fargo, they are alright.

14. BNB

BNB 250+ Posts

I just dropped Wells fargo and joined Wachovia. Their interest rates beat everyone else I think. They are the friendliest people ever. The links they sent me for setting up my online account, and to activate my debit card didn't work, but a quick call took care of it in just a few minutes. Like I said, it has been only a month, but so far so good.

15. blacklab

blacklab 250+ Posts

I needed to open a new business account and heard their commercials on the radio for free biz checking. After paying $15 a month at wells fargo for this I was thrilled. I opened an account and because of their great service moved my personal accounts over as well. Their whole company culture is based on taking care of the customer and compared to BofA and WF it is quite a refreshing change.

16. Dell Griffith

Dell Griffith 25+ Posts

I work for Chase on the business banking side, and if anyone wants me to put them in touch with a business banker (or personal banker) let me know what area of town and I will have a name for you.

17. utmb

utmb 25+ Posts

I have been very happy with BOA. I have a savings, checking and mortgage as advantage or whatever and I pretty much never get charged any fees.