Should I get the iPhone? edit: I got my iPhone...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by dang-str8, Jun 19, 2007.

1. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

I just called back and they said that they can't do anything but that my account is currently being updated. She said this usually means that it will be working soon, but we will see, coming on 4 hours since I tried to activate.

2. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

im not worried, i can wait for it to ship. no hurry and i really bet they are just covering their bases with the 2-4 week window.

3. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

activated!!

4. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

Did you get an email telling you to activate your phone?

5. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

glad to hear you got it working, Benson! [​IMG] Looking forward to getting mine soon ...

6. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

USA TODAY article

Correct if me if I am wrong, but doesn't the thing have to be activated before it can be used in ANY capacity? If so, I bet this girl is going to be pissed!

7. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i got an email saying it was activated but mine didnt say it would take 24 hours.

Holy **** this thing is sick. Im typing this on it. Keyboard definitely takes some time getting used to.

8. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

that is hilarious mike. yeah she wont be able to go past the activation screen of death.

9. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

I am very sick of looking at the activation screen of death.

10. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

LWB, you might find some hints here

that is a mac website i peruse frequently. that link is for activation issues they are having. if you go to some of the later posts, they have the same problem you are.

11. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

Yeah, I have been reading all of the other sites for tips, it seems like it is just such a backlog that things are going very slow. Three hours ago they said my someone is in my account updating it to be activated, then nothing, I just called, and they said the same thing. I guess I will wait until the morning and hope I get the activation email overnight.

12. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

if it says this it will probably happen pretty soon, mine took 4 hours.

13. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

I hope your right, I have talked with Att 3 times now and they say the same thing, it looks like your account will be activated very soon. I have been reading the other message boards and am hearing the same stories as mine. For the record, I am going on 6 hours and 20 minutes. I need to go to sleep, but I want my email. It does appear lots of people are having similar problems, not unexpected seeing as though this is probably a record for activations in one day.

14. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

If I could have sex with this thing, I would... It activated in seconds, it updated all my email accounts from outlook, it updated all my contacts, it connected automatically to my wireless network at home (just asked for passcode), and it found 4 more wireless networks available here in the corpus area... I LOVE THIS THING!!!! I new it was gonna be good, but never expected it to work so well...

15. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

I stopped reading sites like macrumors some time ago... It got too weird for me. They're useful for stuff like this though, and finding out when new Apple stuff is coming out.

I can imagine with all the people activating iPhones right now, AT&T may be having some trouble sorting through everything. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

Have fun with your new iPhones... I'm kinda jealous, but I just got a new V3xx with 3G capabilities, and I don't even use it for internet stuff... That, and I'm a poor college student... I don't really need a new phone. Maybe iPhone v.2

16. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

macrumors is very odd. the people in the forum are a bunch of ********. i cant get a question answered there worth ****, i hate that site with the exception of the rumors they provide.

i love apple, but some of those people would jump off a cliff it steve jobs said it was best for them. talking to some of the people in line today, i felt like there were several that would have done the same thing without any hesitation.

back to the iphone, the build is what amazes me. the thing feels like a rolex. very, very solid for such a small device.

17. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

I can't wait to actually feel one. I bet it's pretty nice. It's funny, because people will ***** about not being able to set their music as a ringtone, but they can look at google maps, search for a business, and make a call all in a few simple steps, then watch a video- something no other cell phone I know of can easily do.

I saw some site that had already taken apart one of them. Apparently it uses Samsung memory chips. When the 16Gb iPhone comes out, you can bet that the memory chips in them are made in Austin. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

Sweet jesus the ringtones are awful

Its a good thing apple is putting ringtones on itunes

19. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

I'm typing this on my iphone. Predictive text takes a little getting used to, but it's pretty fast. Yes, I agree build quality is excellent. This is my only internet access at the moment since the power company decided this would be a good time for a blackout. [​IMG]

20. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

Ya I have started typing with two hands.it really is quick once you get used to it.

21. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

22. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

so check this out. The people who want to take this to other countries, and use it as a camera & ipod w/o the phone...

All they have to do is buy a phone, buy a $100 prepaid card that lasts for a year. And then use it for a year anywhere in the world.

doesnt seem like its worth it, but its definitely doable

23. okusooner

okusooner 100+ Posts

I got my phone. got to ATT store on my way home from work around 6:00. Was one of the last ones to get a ticket. Waited for hour and half for people to go in and get their phone. Activation was easy and love the phone. I needed and new ipod plus my treo 650 is old and has been working when it wants to. Not a bad deal i think for the phone. Real nice features and easy to use.

24. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Be honest, so how many of y'all are taking a trip to the grocery store, mall, etc. today not because you need something, rather because you just want to be one of the cool kids on day 1 sportin' the new toy? [​IMG]

25. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

activating wife's phone.

when I put her number/acct. number in, it comes back and says "Thuis number cannot be transferred. Uncheck the box, clear text and proceed."

That's not ******* option. we need to port this # over.

*p.s. - she has t-mobile.

26. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

just get on the phone with at&t again. That's about all you can do.

27. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

28. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

apple will need to add a copy and paste function, its hard to believe they left that out. it would be very useful.

i encoded some tv shows from dvd (curb your enthusiasm) the other day and put the first season on there. they look good, even at the ridiculously slow bitrate of 256, and are only 80Mb/episode. h.264 encoding is great.

29. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

AT&T was not even taking calls for a few hours this a.m.

their taking an ***-kicking in their CS dept.

30. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

if one more of these ******* tells me to call my existing carrier (wife's today), I'm losing it.

also, this time, we're getting rejected 3 screens in, so we have no web order# or whatever, so activation support has no way to even look at my situation.

is there a way she could just get a new #, and then port one over? my guess is no.