Smoking in the extreme heat

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Basketball Jones, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Have to confess--I have not fired up the smoker since before Father's Day. I just can't get motivated to spend all day with the smoker when it's 105 outside. What have you guys been doing?

2. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Drinking lots of cold beer.

It's not like I'm sitting outside next to my smoker the whole day. I usually start up the fire early in the morning -- often before daybreak -- when the heat is bearable, and I make occasional trips outside to adjust the air flow to make sure my temperature remains constant.

3. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

It's kinda nice. I just throw a couple wood chips in the firebox for smoke, throw the meat on the pit, and let the sun take care of the rest! [​IMG]

4. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

The heat is more like bareable

5. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

No, I meant bearable. Like enough for a bear to tolerate.

6. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I meant bareable, like nekkid. Maybe an apron.

7. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Convert your smoker into a steak griller in the summer months. Same wood, just a hundred degrees hotter and an hour or two for the steaks or fish with a little Special **** or some of your own.

8. Basketball Jones

I just use my gas grill for steaks.

9. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

10. Basketball Jones

Yeah, I know. I do occasionally use the offset as a charcoal grill. Usually, though, I go with the ease o fthe gas grill for steaks. No doubt the charcoal versions taste better

11. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

It's starting to feel great outside, and I feel kinda bad about dragging the rig out on the grass or even near it. I don't wanna be the guy whose stray spark or ember goes and causes the next Bastrop fire [​IMG]

If it's not the heat it's no water[​IMG]