So Boomer retires and so does Sports Center??

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn87, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I work hard, come home every day and put it on ESPN to watch Sports Center--but this crap is on?? Michael and Jemele??? (and it's on ESPN2 and ESPNNEWS) do I need to find something else to watch in the 5-6pm time slot? I'll hang up and listen..

2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

LHN maybe.

3. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I did, were replaying women's game vs K State. My wife, not a sports fan, even commented how bad the SC was when I had it on ESPN. Has to be reruns of MASH on somewhere...

4. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I only watch SC in the morning when I am getting ready for work. I did not notice any change there.

5. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Yep Michael and Jemele?? are not very good. ESPN is losing eyeballs and they bring this new show to revive? They probably need to come up with a better game plan.

6. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

ESPN is a lot like aggy.

They are not near as good as they think they are.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

After they added The Ocho there were just too many options available.

8. snek

snek 500+ Posts

Partly true comparison. ESPN used to be the **** back in the day and truly good. Aggy has always pretty much been **** and have not ever been good except when cheating.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

I listen to Mike and Mike in the mornings and a few months ago it was announced that those two were being promoted to anchor the evening sports center block (5-6). I watched it for the first time the other day, and it was pretty atrocious

10. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

"Michael and Jemele" is god-awful. Michael has some good points every now and then, but Jemele is a sports idiot. And Michael tends to fall back on the race-card every now and then when his points are lacking, which is usually uncalled for and makes his arguments weak. Nowadays, bringing up race as a primary reason or justification of someone's stance is usually (not always) a cop out for a poorly supported position. I don't think that Michael is anymore insightful than other sports journalists, and anyone who has watched Around The Horn can attest that he is usually one of the weaker journalists. So why give Michael and Jemele their own show in primetime? I've got my theories.......

More in general.... I think it's important to have commentators with relevant experience on the subject matter.... e.g. former players. If you don't have experience in that area, you're comments are no more important nor insightful than the homeless guy outside the 7-11 trying to talk to me about home insurance.

11. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

ok, now it is ok for Jemele Hill to say or post something racist on twitter, but the commanders at the mother ship cannot respond to it and tell her to at least apologize and retract her statement?? If any one of us said something racist regarding Obama we would have been deleted immediately, and especially if we were a person speaking for our network--is there a boycott of this crap?? two way street for this i guess.... man, the leader in sports is not being that way now, imo

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  12. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

So this morning on SC, they are talking about the play to end the Texans-Bengals game, and the Bengals did one of those things where they toss the football back and forth across the field and basically go nowhere. 2 times the guy reporting on this play referred to it as the "Hook and Ladder" play. First of all that's not what it was, but the correct name for the play he was referring to is "Hook and Lateral". ESPN is spending so much time being politically active that they are failing at the thing they are supposed to be covering - sports.

And still they cannot figure out why their channel is tanking.

• Like Like x 1
  13. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I'm still trying to understand Horn Fans double standard on "political" postings not on the West Mall.

What I posted within this thread:

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/about-those-maryland-uniforms.104966/

(a link to an article discussing possible Maryland flag, and therefore Terrapin helmets, roots in the Confederacy, plus my comments, meant to be sarcastic, that Fenves may cancel the game due to this --- considering that by the time of the San Jose State game ALL of the Six Flags of Texas except for U.S. and Texas had been removed maybe my sarcasm shouldn't have been just sarcasm)

results in a "political post" warning due to an outraged fellow posted, who I did not post to, though he personally attacked me in subsequent post (see the "idiocy" reference) --- where was the "no personal attacks warning by Horn Fans to him?

Moderator, please explain why this thread is rife with political posts and I was admonished for a link to a relevant article on an upcoming opponent and a snide comment on the UT president regarding its possibilities?

Blonthang abides.

14. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

The jamele show is about as bad as it gets. I only watch SC for college football and LHN. Everything else is way too political and a waste of time.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If no one complains then by definition it is not political. Of course you should know in advance what will cause complaints.