So do the John Bolton revelations bother anybody?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Crockett, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

We moderates need to do a workshop one day on how to use a search engine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Marty Smith's twitter. I don't have access to social media on this machine.

3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I work with a smart doctor. He is handy with the google. Our CEO at the time referred to him as her "researcher". He giggled and said, "I know how to google things quickly".

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So what was in Bolton book that was related to the impeachment stuff?

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Mostly what was impeachment related was that Trump clearly let his staff and the Ukraine know that dredging up dirt on the Bidens was necessary to get the release of the Congressionally authorized military funds. Of course, when the matter became public he had to back off the quid pro quo. Also of interest is how he ran interference for strong man leaders in Russia, China, Turkey and Saudia Arabia ... guys with whom he would like to feel part of the club.

6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So, instead of testifying that Trump did this, he waited to write a book about it?

7. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Bolton has had to answer that question in several interviews. He is giving a detailed and nuanced answer ... and he is not at all complimentary of the Democrats' impeachment effort.

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No moderate alive reads Mother Jones, let alone links to it in support of John Bolton.

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Honestly, I've read some respectable material in Mother Jones. None of it was by David Corn though. I've followed him since the late '90s. The dude is a colossal "personal pleasure device."

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. horninchicago

If Trump is all the things Bolton claims and he did the quid pro quo but did not testify and speak up, then he is just full of **** now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Mother Jones isn't exactly loving on Bolton. Frankly I'm not a Mother Jones regular reader, but I thought it's article here was well written. There is about 1000 media reporting on this. I think what Bolton has to say is worth hearing. I'd urge you to use media you trust. Not me.

12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

You should hear what he has to say before you make that determination. He describes the impeachment effort as poorly led. He felt strategic ineptitude by its leaders made the outcome inevitable and he didn't want to go over the cliff with them.

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

1. I didn’t ask about strong man leaders. Ignored.
    2. I have said all along that you don’t pay until you are satisfied with promises of anti-corruption. The Biden thing was part of that (due family corruption).
    3. QPQ is not a dirty word. Fancy word for negotiation.
    4. Exposing Biden was in the National interest.
    5. Did Bolton say that Ukraine was aware of the hold up? All evidence to date says Ukraine wasn’t aware of it.

14. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Did I sign a contract somewhere to be your seeing eye dog for Bolton news?

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You made a claim that Ukraine knew about the funds being held up. Is that what Bolton claims? Because if he did that would contradict a lot of folks.

16. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah: I guess we just have to the the Ukrainians word for it that they had no idea the funds were being held up. I mean, I don't think the Congressional Record could be shipped all the way to Central Europe? How would they know that the funds were appropriated but not getting released or that some mysterious guy in charge of the executive branch wanted dirt on the Bidens ... even as his legal genius was over there telling them every way he could. I mean do they even know that rain in America is made up primarily of water? How could they?

• Like Like x 1
  17. horninchicago

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Word salad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

20. horninchicago

But he didn't come out when the time was right and say that. Too bad we don't have a BS flag emoji. @Dionysus, can we get one of those?

• Like Like x 1
  21. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The only thing that bothers me is that caterpillar on his face....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We have poop
    :e-poo:

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  23. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. horninchicago

Yes, and I have used that many times, but the subtle difference between that and BS cannot be overstated.

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Serious lie right from the start:

“Bolton’s account might also put some Senate Republicans in a politically awkward position. During the impeachment trial, several of them said there was insufficient evidence to support the House impeachment managers’ allegations while, at the same time, they voted to block any witnesses from appearing. They took those steps despite 75 percent of the American public saying witnesses should be allowed to testify, and John Bolton’s statement that he would testify if only the Chamber would send him a subpoena. He promised not to fight it in the courts.“

No mention that the witnesses are supposed to be called by the House, not the Senate.

Of the following mentioned below, none are impeachable offenses:

1. Only “circumstantial evidence” of what Trump said or did?

Perfectly legal time to investigate corruption at the highest levels.

2. Trump’s actions were to pursue anti-corruption, not to help his campaign?

You allowable today do both.

3. No evidence of a quid pro quo for military assistance?

Another word for negotiation.

4. The White House suspended aid to Ukraine as part of a general review of foreign economic assistance?

Irrelevant.

26. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Bolton said at the time he would testify if the senate had issued a subpeona. Like most in the GOP, your Senators, Ted and John, didn't want to hear him. If you are like most in the GOP, you would have sought a good primary opponent for them if they had not protected us from the truth about Trump.

Anyway, Bolton's testimony would have made Tump's protestations of innoncence down only a little from the 1.2 to 1.0 - 0.8 on a 10 point plausablity scale. Anything about 0 is fine for his loyalists. In fact numerous folks, including some on this thread, are just fine with him using his office to demand personal favors. I think Bolton correctly surmises that this impeachment taught Trump a lesson... that he can do it and get away with it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Does he say who these incompetent Dems on the investigation were? Everyone or a few?

28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

What exactly did he get away with that was illegal? Bolton's feelings and opinions aren't facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Not in the interviews I saw... but it's not hard to look up the figureheads of the doomed impeachment effort.