So, it's a Dot Com. Now for the logo punch up.

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by NCAAFBALLROX, Aug 14, 2007.

1. riloh05

riloh05 100+ Posts

those are valid points xminus. but even with the algorithms being sent out- the domain name is what holds more weight than other variables at this time.
    so my soloution is to build your site @ whatwhere.com with businessname.com pointed to whatwhere.com

as to your own search and who you do business with thats a very narrowminded thought process- just because you didnt do it and did a 100k remodel job doesnt mean some one who did a 500k remodel did opposite of you. google is a very large highway and this NCAA can appreciate- you can target your keywords and geo-targeting to achieve the results that you want. being a one man band, is not a reason to discount an internet presence- you can filter most of what you want to avoid with how your website is built.

2. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

i remember you got a nice logo done on the board. if you need any advice on how to print it for your signed, feel free to pm me. you have to make sure it's of an adequate resolution for that sign company. not saying the designer can't do it, but it's always good to have an extra set of eyes on stuff when you're spending that kind of dosh on materials.

3. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

First, I'm glad the two of you are back to debating & not name calling. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

That said, I was going to run up a 2nd thread but figure this is as good as any to ask:

The logo mizzousnives laid up for me is phenomenal.

[​IMG]

Maybe I could at least make the hat band Pantone 156 (Burnt Orange)... or the block lettering B.Orange?).

All I might want is my phone # somewhere & the url of RanchHandRoofing.com (I think I should use the uppercase on the first letters to differentiate the words).

My wireless phone # is 512.656.6635 (personally, I like the dots vs. dashes or parenthesis).

I like the logo as is; for a vehicle sign (probably peel & stick letters installed by a pro vs. a magnetic sign), I might want bulleted with:

Residential
    Light Commercial
    Low Slope
    Steep Pitches
    New Construction
    Re-roofing
    Repairs
    Shingles
    Tile
    Metal

In an organized manner, two columns wide to match the width of the logo. That's 10 items, so maybe 5 high, two wide? 3 wide, 3 high, smaller font & one in the center? Go with 9 by combining "re-roofing & repairs" on one line?

I may ask some of the other folks on roofing.com & get their opinions; see what they're using for their co's logos & door decals as far as what kind of info they have on their signage.

I figured I might to also ask on the Depot as it seems like we've got a LOT of good brains in this area.

Much thanks

4. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

5. NCAAFBALLROX

So, if I wanted to throw some Burnt Orange in there, where do you think I should add it?

Hat, hat band, the RHR letters, the border below with the phone #... ?

I know it will cost a bit more to have an additional color, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. Gots ta have some.

(I tried to punch up an example from my MS Paint JPG's but the distortion is too great & the edges are fuzzy, so I'd have to hand color exch pixel along the edges & that's a) too time consuming & b) probably not going to come out the way I want it to anyhow).

If Mizzou can't find his original in the .rar extension, will I be able to take my .jpg files & a good shop can translate or copy the design over to a useable format (& then give me the file on CD)?

Oh, & I'm leaning towards a sandy colored hat with a burnt orange band because it sorta looks the most like Bevo's Wranglers... mad props to them!

OK, so I did a hand edit on ONE of the logos:
    [​IMG]

Well?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

Ok, for xminus--the design was illustrator (vector) but i can't F-ing find my original file! i switched computers at work about a week after making that, and when i went back to look at the old comp. i have no idea where i saved it. so i might just be redoing it this weekend, we're getting slammed during the week with work.

i also agree with the 3 x 3 idea, but depending on the length of each section 2 x 2 can work as well.

NCAA--how much do you want burnt orange on your logo? the hat band pumps things up a bit, did you want any outlining or such?

7. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

From looking at the thread title, I wondered why this thread has 4 pages. Now I know.

8. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

My wife should really see this thread and the thought process behind the name/URL/logo design. She is starting a small 1-woman photography business.

9. riloh05

riloh05 100+ Posts

for the record, i know nothing about signage and graphics. lol

10. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

11. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

i didn't bother reading page 3, and you may be past this point already, but take this for what its worth. My wife recently started a pet sitting business. the domain name is the name of the company plus .com. she pays google to have her site pull up any time someone has certain other keywords in their search such as pet sitting, fort bend county, sugar land, missouri city, whatever else she told them. its so much per click i believe, and she has it capped at $50 per month so that's the most she will be spending per month for this service. most of her business so far has come from google searches for "houston pet sitter" or something like that, so it works.

now there's alot more roofers than pet sitters in any given area i'm sure, so competition may stop you from getting business, but people finding you shouldn't be an issue. i imagine all search engines have this kind of capability as its how they make money.

12. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

you should have the words "ranch hand roofing" in Orange as well inside the black border box.

13. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

I think the logo with the white hat is best -- it will be cheaper to print and reproduce better on estimates that you fax, etc.

And the good guys are always the ones in the white hats.

14. NCAAFBALLROX

zzzz, I had thought about the cost factor, however I'm pretty sure I will have one logo on my estimates (Excel based & I can just do a drop in, most likely)

&

The other colored version (light sand with orange? grey with orange lettering? light brown vs. black block letters, orange phone # 's, light sand hat?) on the vehicle emblems.

I think a bit of color on a vehicle will have just a bit of splash & give it some life.

Oh, & I'm thinking I may want the hat band a bit thinner & less "1978 - 1985"ish. Just a thought or three...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

I think orange type on a black background is not as legible as white on black. Also, you don't see black and orange in design much because it often comes off looking Halloweenish.

16. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

yeah, i wouldn't put orange on black. the only colors really that work on black for text are white and yellow. orange would definitely be too low contrast.

17. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts