So why is Charlie better at USF?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Creek, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

It seems like his current USF was better than any team he coached here.
    Certainly he had top 25 recruiting classes here but not at USF. So on paper his Texas team should of been much better.
    I will say he looked like a deer in the headlights on the sidelines when he was here. At USF he looked relaxed.
    So why?
    No longhorn network?

Better players?

Less entitled players?

Shiny uniforms?

Less pressure?

What was it ?

Discuss

2. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Lesser competition, less pressure, cupboard full, easier

• Like Like x 2
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Can't succeed in the Big XII with mediocre QBs.

Even with good O-line.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I think if Flowers was our QB we would have had 4 more wins.
    USC, Ou, OkSt, and Tech.
    A really good senior QB means a lot

• Like Like x 3
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Let me add-
    1. Lack of Fat Cat Boosters
    2. A fan base that was fully supportive
    3. A QB, we have 2 now- so I am not knocking our roster .
    4. And most importantly boosters who are not pulling the strings, oh wait I said that already

• Like Like x 4
  6. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

He only had a shiny Longhorn when he was here. Now, the entire USF helmet is shiny. That’s got to be the difference. :yes:

• Like Like x 5
  7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn’t say he was better he just had an experiences QB something he never had here

8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Trust me, that team was just as undisciplined as any team here. Look at the cupcake schedule combined with the talent he inherited many average coaches could have done the same.

If this team is still winning 9+ games three years from now I'll give him some credit. BTW i dont recall him running off his talent when he got there. Maybe he learned a valuable lesson here.

9. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Charlie who?

10. 4th_floor

In all seriousness, why can't we let this go? Does anyone really want Charlie back?

• Like Like x 5
  11. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Maybe the kids at USF could pass drug tests so he didn’t have to run them off oh and he beat tech we couldn’t that

12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

No. Water under the bridge.

• Like Like x 1
  13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't think it's a matter of wanting Charlie back.
    It's only natural to be interested in how a former coach is doing.
    If Mack were still coaching you would see threads on him, as well.
    It's what we do on message boards.
    Express our opinions on coaches and players, past present and future.

• Like Like x 5
  14. LonghornCatholic

I'm by no means a Charlie apologists and was cheering for Tech, but his undisciplined team laid just under 40 points on a team we couldn't score more than 3 points on in the second half.

I'll give the dude credit.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

Don’t forget the joker AD that wouldn’t give him money to hire a real Offensive Coordinator. It was downhill from there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 4th_floor

Dude, he's gone. He won't come back. Those of us who are not rabid liberals or otherwise deranged do not want him back. Move on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

he's gone, let it go!

he showed zero confidence and was a poor communicator at basically every level

That conference was pretty much of nothing and 1-2 food players will make a big difference when the competition if inferior............

18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

:facepalm:

19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

There are probably 125 or more teams that could score 38 points on Tech. Our offensive ineptitude is obvious and shouldn't really be compared to anyone to measure quality of their performance. Tech only held 5 teams to below 30 and only one below 20 this year.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have never had a single good thing to say about Patterson going back before he ever thought about ruining our program, but that is ********. I posted at the time, and have since, Strong couldn't get qualified assistants despite grossly negligent contracts for obscene amounts. The coaching community knew and believed he was doomed to fail quickly. They wanted no part of it.

He is now in his element. No fan interest means no fan interference. I have said from the beginning, there are major differences between Texas HS kids and Florida HS kids. Strong tried to change our culture in many ways, leaving many unhappy fans and HS coaches in his wake. If he isn't going to be position coach, he is where he belongs - Florida Directional College, with no academic requirements, playing 12 games with someone else's recruits and reject transfers, 10-11 of those games against cupcakes.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

USC and The-Other-UT fans are probably asking the same question about Lane Kiffin and I think this answer applies there, too.

22. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

He inherited a 10-2, senior laden team that Willie Taggert had built up, much as Lincoln Riley inherited a great team from Stoops. The test for Charlie will be next year. Can he keep it going.

• Like Like x 1
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Keep your rabid conservatism in the West Mall.

• Like Like x 1
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

If you are so ready to move on then why do you have more posts on this thread than anybody?
    It's pretty simple.
    If you're tired of hearing or talking about Charlie, then don't open a thread with his name in the title.

25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

As to the topic of this thread.
    I don't think Charlie was much better.
    I watched the games I could and his team was undisciplined.
    His special teams were bad and they didn't tackle worth a ****.
    They gave up a lot of points.
    But he had a senior laden team with a senior (poor man's VY) QB that threw for over 2500 and ran for over 1000.
    Gilbert game planned pretty well and scored enough points to win 10 games in a weak conference.
    I hope Strong stays where he is so he can enjoy continued success.

26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Do you need the rules here spelled out for you? Come on.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Charlie inherited a lot of talent and a program where good offensive and defensive systems were in place and got to play a really weak schedule. He did lose to the only good teams he played.

Plus, that wasn't the same tech team that played Texas. The were fighting for Kliffy's job against Texas. The game against USF was one of the sloppiest I've ever seen. Well, what you usually get from tech when they're not playing Texas. Penalties stopping multiple drives and extending drives for USF, turnovers, a pass defense lost in neverland, etc. No way the team that played Sat beats Texas even as bad as Sam and Tim B were.

28. LonghornCatholic

Charlie beat Tech. Herman didn't.

Any excuses are silly.

Charlie had a good season, we sucked. Sucked!

Period. Actually, this is Hornfans so, Ellipsis! .........

• Like Like x 2
  29. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

Don’t want him back. Just think Patterson deserves part of the blame.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

The "less pressure" is real at the lower teams. Here pressure makes you play tight, you coach tight. You play not to lose.
    I agree---We also get everyone's best shot. Everyone wants a Texas head mount in their trophy case.
    It is a tougher job here, even with a zillion star recruiting classes.
    Herman found it out too.

• Like Like x 1