Softball dominating

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FBTxEx, Mar 4, 2011.

1. FBTxEx

FBTxEx 25+ Posts

This team has won 6 games in a row, all by shut outs.

Outstanding. Keep up the great job. [​IMG]

2. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good Job Ladies!
    Hookem'

3. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Keep it up Horns! One stat that really jumps out at me are the 46 stolen bases vs. just 4 total for our opponents so far this season.

4. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

The coaching staff is doing a outstanding job this year.
    God Job Ladies Today.
    Hookem'

5. overseasbbfan1

Great job by Luna to pitch her first perfect game as the Horns totally overwhelm a very good (and #4 ranked) Washington squad 12-0. Keep it up Horns!

6. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

I had kind of given up hope that Connie Clark would ever turn the ladies softball team into anything, but they definitely have a powerful team this year. The days of a great pitcher and no hitters at all are long gone.

7. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

It is tied but the Aggies have two on base with no outs. This one has me worried and would be a big blow to retaining our State Farm Showdown hopes if we lose. We got batters on base but we can't seem to get them in to score. [​IMG]

8. Bill in Sinton

Aggies go ahead in top of third 2-1 but we are fortunate it wasn't worse. Our bats need to wake up and get us some runs.

9. Bill in Sinton

In bottom of third of course we left two runners on base along with a demonstration of how not to get a sacrefice hit.

Come on Horns! Fight and win! We don't want to have the Aggies hosting the trophy on our field do we? I hope not!

10. Bill in Sinton

Same score after 4 as we go three up and three down. Not looking good. I have to go now. Hopefully our bats will wake up or we are going to lose on our own home field. Very frustrating game so far.

Come on Horns! Fight! [​IMG]

11. Bill in Sinton

Going into the 7th inning Horns have fought back and it is tied 2 all. Come on Horns! Win it! [​IMG]

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] Horns win 4-3, scored two in bottom of 7th to win.

13. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

[​IMG]

What a season this team is putting together.

15. Bill in Sinton

Way to fight back and win Ladies! I knew you could do it!

[​IMG]

16. overseasbbfan1

The team has won 16 in a row...you know they're going to lose some games at some pont, thank goodness it didn't happen vs. the ags last night! Great way to fight back and win. Horns are now #5 in one of the polls and #3 in the RPI. Some of their stats are really impressive, such as 44 HRs vs. 12 for opponents, and 75 stolen bases against just 14 for opponents so far. Keep it up Horns!

17. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good Job today Ladies!

18. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Beat the Corn today also.

19. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Went into the 7th down 3-1, and tied it. Scratched out a run in the 8th to take it 4-3. Mizzou downed A&M this weekend. Looks like Big 12 will be a battle between UT and Mizzou.

20. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Team ends conference play with a resounding thud. Year end chokes seem to be the model for Texas this year. Pretty disappointing to see so many highly ranked teams collapse.

21. Bill in Sinton

Branyon you have hit the nail on the head with that post. This has been a disappointing year especially with teams that showed so much potential early in the seasons against good competition. We pay our coaches well enough to where they should be coaching good and also recruiting is part of it. This has been a year of the Choke as you have posted. We need to show much improvement next year.

22. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Softball team's season similar to men's basketball, losing 4 of their last 6 puts the 5th ranked team as a 3 seed in 64 team tournament.

23. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Not sure you call it a choke job? Teams just peaked too early or ran out of gas?

24. CLAHOOKEM

CLAHOOKEM < 25 Posts

I'm not sure splitting with highly ranked teams is exactly a choke. We played our toughest Big 12 opponents last but with 8 Big 12 teams playing in the tournament, the whole season was tough. I think we have missed Lexi Bennett far more than we want to admit. You don't sideline a top player with that amazing stretch at 1st base and not hurt a bit. Her nickname "Big Ben" came because she was always there with the big play/hit right on time! She's running just don't know if she'll make it back to the line up for post season.

25. overseasbbfan1

I'm really surprised by a few comments given how successful the team has been this season. Losing Bennett was tough; she wasn't just any player but was leading the Big12 in something like 6 or 7 categories (or was it 8?) shortly before her injury. That is an unbelievable accomplishment considering that 8 Big12 teams were ranked in the top 25 at that point. And for those who have been waiting for our hitting to match our pitching, or more accurately to have both disciplines dominating in the same season, how great has this year been? Some of the stats this year have been eye-popping, including 68 homeruns vs. 18 for our opponents, and 110 stolen bases (vs. just 23 combined for opponents). The number of ranked squads we beat this year, three separate win streaks of 18, 10 and 9 respectively, and 22 shutouts; that's great stuff. And even with the late losses we still finished 8-4 after losing Bennett; very difficult to lose your offensive leader so late in the season but the team rallied and fought hard those final 12 contests. And obviously this effort, and their terrific season, was recognized by the committee and we ended up with the #3 national seed. Congratulations are definitely in order and there are one or two in particular I expected to hear from on this post.

Back to Bennett, I haven't seen anything about her expected return, or whether she's out for the season. There was one mention in a Texassports article that she had been hit by a pitch, and then a single reference in a later Statesman blurb about a broken arm. Can anyone provide more info on her status? I know broken arms take an average of 6 weeks to heal, though it can be more or less than this obviously. The regional is just under five weeks post-injury, and the super-regional almost 6 weeks out. If we're able to pull through tough regional and super regional competition without Bennett, the World Series would be almost 7 weeks post the break; seems like there would a good possibility of having her back at that point, assuming we make the field. Any info would be appreicated.

26. CLAHOOKEM

CLAHOOKEM < 25 Posts

Bennett took a solid hit which looked like the ulna directly above her wrist. You could hear the sickening thud from where I sit and I was very surprised that she stayed on the base. I was certain she needed a pinch runner. She did not return to the field however. she has been back with a hugely padded hand and forearm as a pinch runner and has been taking one handed swings in batting practice. Have not heard anyone share details about the injury or her return to the field. Kim Bruins is getting better at 1st with every game but doesn't have the instinctive reaction to the correct location that only time gives and she does not do the splits to stretch toward the throw that was trademark Lexi. With Lexi we are missing offense and defense for sure!

27. skykingtx

skykingtx 25+ Posts

According to the announcers at the game, Lexi is cleared to run; she now wears a padded cast for that. They had no idea of when she will return to full status.

28. overseasbbfan1

Thanks for the update!

29. Driftwood

Driftwood 250+ Posts

Lexi is now hitting in batting practice and she pinch ran in the Baylor game. If this progress continues, we could see her in limited action during Regionals and Super Regionals.

I heard she needed another season game appearance to keep her in the running for All Big 12 consideration. She got that appearance by pinch running. There was a window in her previous cast that allowed some sort of electro-stimulation to the break location. Hopefully this sped up the healing progress.

Texas will not allow her to play without medical clearance. Winning is important, but not important enough to play an injured player before her medical release.

30. overseasbbfan1

I definitely agree she should not return if she isn't 100% healed and ready. That said, let's hope that turns out to be the case [​IMG] !